Spyder Garage

Default RS cruise control

There is a right handle bar ass'y from a 2013 RS-S for sale on Ebay. Thought I'd mention it to any RS owners who want cruise. It's all you need to have full cruise control. I put one on my 2013 RS and it works great.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...542449&alt=web

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Are you saying this will allow me to have cruise on my 2011 RSS with no other equipment needed?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

does not give any details so make sure it will work fir your year. The cable operated throttle or the fly by wire throttle will be an issue. Installation insructions as well...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get a response from the seller or someone on this forum that has dealt with this in the past.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Just talked to a Can Am tech and it will not work with a 2011. Too bad. Better safe than sorry though.

Spyder Garage

Two techs told me that cruise could not be added to my Spyder. Then I found the instructions for modding the dummy switch. Now I have cruise. Cost was a few cents. You. can search for my write up on how I installed it. Short version is, if you have the white pad with three bumps under the dummy switch, you have cruise. You just need to find a way to activate it.
    If you have fly by wire bike the easiest way is it take the dummy switch out and replace with the factory cruise switch. This is just a little piece of plastic held on by three screws. The electronics are already installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Craniac; 11-29-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Craniac View Post
    Two techs told me that cruise could not be added to my Spyder. Then I found the instructions for modding the dummy switch. Now I have cruise. Cost was a few cents. You. An search for my write up on how I installed it. Short version is, if you have the white pad with three bumps under the dummy switch, you have cruise. You just need to find a way to activate it.
    If you have fly by wire bike the easiest way is it take the dummy switch out and replace with the factory cruise switch. This is just a little piece of plastic held on by three screws. The electronics are already installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What year and model is your Spyder? I don't think it was even offered as an option in 2011 on the RSS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bakerman View Post
    What year and model is your Spyder? I don't think it was even offered as an option in 2011 on the RSS.
    '13 ST.
    Is your Spyder "fly by wire" throttle or cable?

If it is "Fly by Wire", look for the white pad shown just above my hand. That is the electronic switches for activating the Cruise. The Black piece in my hand is the "dummy" switch that can me modified to make the cruise work. Or, you could remove the factory switch from the one on E Bay and replace your dummy. Cruise will work.

My Instrument panel said "Cruise Off" near the lower left. When I modded the switch, it now says "Cruise On" or "Cruise Set". I would guess that if your bike does not say "Cruise Off" that it does not have Cruise.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

'13 ST.
    Is your Spyder "fly by wire" throttle or cable?

If it is "Fly by Wire", look for the white pad shown just above my hand. That is the electronic switches for activating the Cruise. The Black piece in my hand is the "dummy" switch that can me modified to make the cruise work. Or, you could remove the factory switch from the one on E Bay and replace your dummy. Cruise will work.

My Instrument panel said "Cruise Off" near the lower left. When I modded the switch, it now says "Cruise On" or "Cruise Set". I would guess that if your bike does not say "Cruise Off" that it does not have Cruise.
    I don't think it does, since it gives no indication either way... "Off", "On" or otherwise. Don't think I'll risk $100. Thanks a lot for your help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bakerman View Post
    I don't think it does, since it gives no indication either way... "Off", "On" or otherwise. Don't think I'll risk $100. Thanks a lot for your help.
    If your throttle looks like this:

It is a cable throttle.

Good news is that Cruise can be added. A generic Rostra cruise can be made to work. You need to waterproof the switch. Cost is around $250. There is also a Spyder specific Cruise made is Australia that is around $900. Sorry their name escapes me right now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

If your throttle looks like this:

It is a cable throttle.

Good news is that Cruise can be added. A generic Rostra cruise can be made to work. You need to waterproof the switch. Cost is around $250. There is also a Spyder specific Cruise made is Australia that is around $900. Sorry their name escapes me right now.
    Thanks Craniac...I think I'll check into that Rostra. You've been a big help. Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I put a Vista Cruise throttle lock on my 08 GS and it works like a top and it only cost me about $25

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee67 View Post

I put a Vista Cruise throttle lock on my 08 GS and it works like a top and it only cost me about $25
    Thanks, I'll check it out

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Will it work on a 2011 RSS?

Spyder Garage

Sorry I wasn't more specific about the mod details; just wanted to point out the part for sale. To clarify, this mod will only work on 2013 and newer models since they are drive by wire. Craniac is right that all 2013 and newer Spyders without cruise actually have all cruise components installed from the factory except the slider switch (I learned this from another post). The ones without cruise have a blank where the slider goes. So, there are two ways to get factory cruise; modify the existing ass'y with a slider switch or change out the whole right hand ass'y with one that has the slider switch. I did the later method. I can say that the RH ass'ys are identical expect for the slider switch. The connectors, wire colors, other buttons, etc. are are all the same. The RH ass'y with the slider switch is about $300 new so getting one used is much more economical. Making your own switch is the most economical of course. I didn't make my own switch because I wasn't confident in the reliability of that approach nor the weather proofing.