Spyder Garage

Default Did I Bite Off More Than I Can Chew???

Just purchased a new Air Filter from my local Dealer. If you could have seen the look on their face when I told them I was doing my own filter change. Pretty much just like this one.... Came home and started looking on SL site for some videos on the process...all I found was the KewlAir replacement conversations. Nothing specifically addressing the stock Air Filter. Then I went to the manual...not exactly what I would call the best of references. Way too vague. I do know one thing though, the general concensus is that this is not a DIY project to be taken lightly!!! I have done all of the scheduled oil changes with little or no problems, successfully installed quite a few of the TricLED products, installed my BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Heim Links, and completed the install of the Passenger Armrest and Driver Backrest...just to name a few. But looking at this seemingly simple Air Filter swap...this may be my undoing!!! At this point, I am open for any advice, short of cutting or modifying of any kind. I just want to put in a clean filter. I'll deal with headaches later. Right now, I just want to get this behind me, just for peace of mind. Any advice??
    Oh, and by the way, "sarcastic banter" (although, very amusing) will only succeed in confirming my suspicions of my own inept abilities as an authorized shade-tree mechanic!

Spyder Garage

Default Air Filter

I remember trying to change the air filter on my ST-S earlier this year. After getting the panels off it was difficult even getting the clips open to the housing due to the tight fit in the frame. I ended up doing a bigger job by tearing out the air box and resonator and replacing with JT's air filter kit. Changing the filter on it is a breeze!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Possibility!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I remember trying to change the air filter on my ST-S earlier this year. After getting the panels off it was difficult even getting the clips open to the housing due to the tight fit in the frame. I ended up doing a bigger job by tearing out the air box and resonator and replacing with JT's air filter kit. Changing the filter on it is a breeze!!
    If I go this route, what are my benefits (aside from the ease of changing the air filter)? What is the price range for a mod this indepth?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and Good Luck!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ValCruzSpyder View Post
    If I go this route, what are my benefits (aside from the ease of changing the air filter)? What is the price range for a mod this in depth?
    The biggest benefit IMHO is improving the air flow around the engine and lowering the overall temperature you feel through the tupperware sitting on the bike. Second is ease of changing anything under the tupperware. Third is ease of maintenance in the engine area.

The Air Filter Kit is $195 with free shipping. It is not a trivial task to remove the air box in one piece. Expect to spend 4-6 hours getting it out. If you have a buddy help it can speed up the time. As Roger says the front trunk as well as both side panels need to come off. The lateral braces will need to be moved down to get the air box out.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Air Filter

Advantages to removing air box and resonator: more air flow over engine; easier to change air filter in future; easier to change spark plugs and wires. Much easier to clean and/or replace throttle body.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Strong Possibility

The Air Filter Kit is $195 with free shipping. Not a bad price, at all. What would be the expected lead time for arrival in Virginia Beach, VA? Any videos available to assist in installation?
    It is not a trivial task to remove the air box in one piece. Dremmel sounds like the tool of choice.
    Expect to spend 4-6 hours getting it out. If you have a buddy help it can speed up the time. I've got more time than friends. (Just kidding)
    As Roger says the front trunk as well as both side panels need to come off. No problem.
    The lateral braces will need to be moved down to get the air box out. Houston, we have a problem! I guess this means I had better graduate from "authorized shade-tree mechanic" to "competent wrench monkey".

Do you have more information regarding this mod (other than the info on your sponsor site), that I can provide my financial advisor (wife) in the hope of a timely order this evening? Thanks for the help!!

Spyder Garage

You say you have no problem removing the tupperware and frunk. Once that is done you are on easy street. lowering the lateral brace is 5 bolts and unclip some wiring harness. 2 bolts on each end, on on the corner of the fuel tank. Not hard at all.

Then you hold your tongue just right, pray to your deity of choice and the air box comes right out.....

I did not want to cut mine in case I was ever dumb enough to put it back. Also all that flying plastic bits from cutting going near the throttle body really bothered me, don't want that stuff in the air intake and engine.

Anyway, if you can get the tupperware and frunk off, you can do the JT filter install. It really does make all other maintenance in the engine bay MUCH easier and the under hood temps much lower.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The Air Filter Kit is $195 with free shipping. Not a bad price, at all. What would be the expected lead time for arrival in Virginia Beach, VA? Any videos available to assist in installation?
    USPS says 2 days from here to Virginia Beach. I don't know of any videos, I do ship instructions that lists the parts that need to come off.
    It is not a trivial task to remove the air box in one piece. Dremmel sounds like the tool of choice.
    Expect to spend 4-6 hours getting it out. If you have a buddy help it can speed up the time. I've got more time than friends. (Just kidding)
    As Roger says the front trunk as well as both side panels need to come off. No problem.
    The lateral braces will need to be moved down to get the air box out. Houston, we have a problem! I guess this means I had better graduate from "authorized shade-tree mechanic" to "competent wrench monkey".

Do you have more information regarding this mod (other than the info on your sponsor site), that I can provide my financial advisor (wife) in the hope of a timely order this evening? Thanks for the help!!
    Just search for JT Air Filter and you will get some feedback.

Hmm, I didn't upload the instructions to the store... I'll do than between the next parts I make.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just had JT's kit put on my RT. you need two folks and some good time.

it can be done and once it is, you'll like it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Service manuals are available at www.brpmanuals.com. I got one for my 2011RSS for $23.50. It is a pdf download and you can print the pages you want. It is kind of like a Chilton's manual for Spyders, but it has BRP's logo on it.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck, John! I wish I was close enough to come and help you . . . then I could see what I need to do when I break down and buy one (it is on the "wanna get" list, along with the cat bypass) . . . take copious notes . . . especially the "be sure not cut/bend/damage the _____" type!

I wish you luck with the project! My best to the financial advisor!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Changed the air filter on wife's 2010 RTS. Took longer to get the tupperware off than it did to change the filter.

Spyder Garage

Here is a tip when taking off body panels put the screws in a container and keep them with the panel they came out with... makes assembly much easier. You know all the screws in the container must go somewhere in that panel.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Here is a tip when taking off body panels put the screws in a container and keep them with the panel they came out with... makes assembly much easier. You know all the screws in the container must go somewhere in that panel.

JT
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default PHOTOGRAPHS!!

Be sure to take lots of pictures during the disassembly and post them. JT's filter is my next farkle, as soon as I work up the courage to dive into it.

Spyder Garage

Default Air Filter UPDATE

I have been advised by my Financial Consultant, that since I already purchased the OEM Air Filter, "Go ahead and install that one. When it is time to change it again, we will take a look at replacing it with the new thingy." Most people would scoff at this response from their wife..I mean, Financial Consultant. Not me!! I take this as a positive break in negotiations!!
    For now, my plans are to simply swap out the OEM filters. In a few short miles/hours of operation, I will replace it with the new thingy. Happy Wife, Happy Life!!
    I'll be sure to take pictures and try to post videos of the change out.

Spyder Garage

Default DARN!!!!!

I was hoping for lots of pictures and a good advice about removing the frunk. I am planning on installing JT's air filter toward the end of the month. Now I guess I get to be the one to take the pictures.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mcubed45 View Post
    I was hoping for lots of pictures and a good advice about removing the frunk. I am planning on installing JT's air filter toward the end of the month. Now I guess I get to be the one to take the pictures.
    Removing the frunk is easier than removing the mirrors!
    2 bolts down by the sway bar.
    1 screw on each side (need to remove upper side covers to see them).
    4 bolts on top in the center.
    some wires to disconnect... and the latch cable.

I like to put a moving blanket under the frunk with about 1" of clearance.
    The frunk has two lips that it hangs from, so lift a bit then move forward and set it down.
    Easy one man job.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default NOW I know!!!

I now understand why the guys in the service department want so much $$$$ for a seemingly simple air filter change!!!!! If you have large hands, you are in for a big surprise once you get under the tupperware. Every inch of space is utilized on the Spyder. REALLY!!! I performed the oil change yesterday, a feat I have accomplished a few times already. Afterwards, I had a meeting with "you-know-who", and decided to just switch out OEM air filter. I tackled that @!#%* task this afternoon. I am so glad I opted NOT to record the process. I came up with some very interesting and colorful words during the whole ordeal. Removing the tupperware was the easy part. Fitting my hands into places that were never meant to accommodate human hands (keep it clean) was never my intentions. Long story short, Oil change is done, new Air filter in place, my left hand is throbbing, AND...I have the mutual agreement from "you-know-who" that THIS will be the last time I have to endure such pain. Okay, so I had to play up the turmoil a little bit. It worked. Don't knock it!!
    At any rate, the Spyder is ready for the road. AND in the near future, I will be transitioning to JT's system. I can hardly contain my excitement at the thought of having to dive back under the tupperware. Oh joy. My only solace...I'm not spending an arm and a leg paying someone else to perform this install. I'm feeling pretty confident in my mechanical abilities as of late, and I'm feeling I can handle the airbox removal. Trust me, I will have pictures and more question for everyone. Wish me luck!!!

Spyder Garage

Doesn't sound like you need luck, you have skill. Taking the mirrors off and changing the air filter on a RT is not easy the first time. I tip my hat to anyone that can change the OEM air filter on a RT!

JT

Spyder Garage

I now understand why the guys in the service department want so much $$$$ for a seemingly simple air filter change!!!!! If you have large hands, you are in for a big surprise once you get under the tupperware. Every inch of space is utilized on the Spyder. REALLY!!! I performed the oil change yesterday, a feat I have accomplished a few times already. Afterwards, I had a meeting with "you-know-who", and decided to just switch out OEM air filter. I tackled that @!#%* task this afternoon. I am so glad I opted NOT to record the process. I came up with some very interesting and colorful words during the whole ordeal. Removing the tupperware was the easy part. Fitting my hands into places that were never meant to accommodate human hands (keep it clean) was never my intentions. Long story short, Oil change is done, new Air filter in place, my left hand is throbbing, AND...I have the mutual agreement from "you-know-who" that THIS will be the last time I have to endure such pain. Okay, so I had to play up the turmoil a little bit. It worked. Don't knock it!!
    At any rate, the Spyder is ready for the road. AND in the near future, I will be transitioning to JT's system. I can hardly contain my excitement at the thought of having to dive back under the tupperware. Oh joy. My only solace...I'm not spending an arm and a leg paying someone else to perform this install. I'm feeling pretty confident in my mechanical abilities as of late, and I'm feeling I can handle the airbox removal. Trust me, I will have pictures and more question for everyone. Wish me luck!!!
    Question: how many miles on your '12 and how dirty was the filter? Reason I ask, on my previous '11, at 20K the filter was still clean and still on it when I traded at 32K.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Per the Operator's Guide...

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Question: how many miles on your '12 and how dirty was the filter? Reason I ask, on my previous '11, at 20K the filter was still clean and still on it when I traded at 32K.
    The Air Filter should be INSPECTED at 6,000 miles and REPLACED at 12,000 miles. I had over 14,000 miles on mine and it still looked brand new. Very little discoloration and a very faint engine smell. I probably could have put a number of more miles on that same filter, but after I took the Spyder apart...I decided to go ahead and swap it out. If you ever get the chance or wild hair to go after the "ever-elusive" RT Air Filter, you will understand why I didn't backtrack!!! Once you've committed yourself to opening that Pandora's Box, there's no turning back!!