View Poll Results: Given the circumstances, do I buy the 2013 RT-S or hold out for a 2014?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll

21 28.38%

53 71.62%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The Diff on 2013 and 2014

With the little riding you do I would save the $'s as well. My wife and I went 14 for we put 10-12 k a year and long rides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, it is worth the $9,000 if you budget allows, if not, the 13 fine. The 14 has solved a whole lot of earlier complaints and problems but the 13 is still a solid ride and with the lower gearing just as fast. Fuel mileage will be better on the 14 but 9K buys a lot of gas!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Fuel mileage will be better on the 14 but 9K buys a lot of gas!
    @28mpg (2013 avg mpg) and $4 a gallon that would be 63000 mi.

Spyder Garage

Default 13 VS 14

Having just spent 6 wks ridding my 13 RTS SE5 and enjoying the Blue Ridge area of the country, I must say I am much more impressed with it than I was on the FL flatlands. Plus with "real gas" I got 35 MPG having a blast! So my advice would be buy the 13, enjoy riding it a few years, and I bet the price differential will be less then than now. I had an '08 for 6 years with many teething problems. My 13 has had an oil change [600 mile service] and replaced a broken antenna with a stubby.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    @28mpg (2013 avg mpg) and $4 a gallon that would be 63000 mi.
    One up @60-65 I am getting 36 MPG with my 2013 RTS SE5. With an empty trailer 31-32MPG.

Just slowing 5 MPH will increase your gas mileage 2-4 MPG. I did not buy for gas mileage. If you can afford these you shouldn't be concerned about gas mileage or the price of fuel. 87 vs 91 Octane.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

One question please: If the 2014 runs so much cooler why did you spend the money for a CAT Bypass??
    Screaming caps says it all.
    1. You don't own a 2014 RT-S so obviously don't have a clue about them.
    2. If I had to explain, you would not understand.
    The 2" stainless steel cat bypass for $125 is for increase in torque/power, getting rid of choked up Cat.
    (nothing to do with heat because that is not a problem on 2014 RT-S).
    3. I owned a 2013 RT-S for 9,000 miles; a 2011 RT-S for 22,000 miles.
    4. So I have hands on experience, heat mods, many thousands of miles trouble free on RT's.
    Jack, Get a life, instead of bad mouthing 2014 RT owners who have the riding experience.
    Facts are: the 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 is a major improvement over previous years that have major heat problems with boiling gas in tanks, brake master cylinders overheating, vacuum hoses cracking, etc.
    Doc in Florida has 15,000 miles trouble free on his 2014 RT-L.
    Hope Len enjoys his new RT, his decision.
    Enjoy your rydes.
    Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    The truth is the 2014 IS NOT that much better. If you read here long enough you will find they have as many issues as any year has had. Are they an improvement...maybe, time will tell. They are not faster but they get a few more miles per tank. Properly set up there is nothing wrong with the 2013 and it is a good value. There are a lot of fanboys singing the praises of the 2014 probably to justify paying the price tag. The 2013 IS the 2014 with a 2012 engine in it and a slightly improved radiator system. The 2013 does seem to run hot but things can be done to help that. It's orange juice vs pineapple juice to me. The more I ride my 2013 with the mods I have made the gladder I am I did not jump to a 14 and take the big depreciation. Just my humble opinion. Neither of these bikes are a shorts and flip flop ride proper gear and a few mods and they are pretty equal to me.

Dave, You and I are usually at least within spitting distance of one another's opinions...
    Your reply has me stumped...
    Could it be a little bit of "sour grapes"; doing the talking?
    "As many issues as the 2013s"... That's a pretty decent exaggeration. They DID find some oil leaks, and some keys that stuck; what else?
    They are not faster? Have you seen them run side by side yet?
    A FEW more miles per tank... In my case; there's a full 6 mpg difference. That's over 30 miles per tank! Would you want to walk the difference?
    However: I DO agree that the proper setup on a 2013 gets them in the same ballpark...
    Some folks don't have that type of commitment to problem-solving... I have, and continue to; applaud you for your efforts!
    NEITHER is a poor choice...

...But the 2014 might be the better choice...

In my humble opinion; of course!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Red face Price

Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic biker View Post
    Ok...here is my dilemma. I can get a brand new 2013 RT-S with a SE5 and a 3 year extended warranty for $19,000 asking price. So my question to the members of this forum is this. Is the 2014 model worth the extra $9000?

I will ride this machine maybe 4000-5000 miles a year tops. In essence, it will be my "summer convertible" to enjoy when the weather is nice. I may go to a national rally once a year and I will need it for 2-up weekend getaways maybe 3 times a riding season. I'd like to ride more, but between the wife and my job demands and other interests, I've never put more than 5k miles on any bike I've owned in a year.

So talk me off the ledge and convince me the 2014 is a technically and reliably much more superior machine and the extra $10k is money well spent.

Or, tell me to jump off and buy the 2013 and never look back.

I appreciate your advice.
    Len
    My dealer Ill be buying from will sell 2014 RT-S $25599.00 so try to get it at that price.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic biker View Post
    Ok...here is my dilemma. I can get a brand new 2013 RT-S with a SE5 and a 3 year extended warranty for $19,000 asking price. So my question to the members of this forum is this. Is the 2014 model worth the extra $9000?

Len
    I was in a very similar dilemma last September, but with an RT Ltd. I had an opportunity to buy my dealer's personal demo for a "discount" of $4400 plus there was a factory rebate of another $3000. That brought the 2013 Limited down to $21,500 as compared to $30,500 for a 2014. Same price difference of $9000.

I knew the 2014 would be nicer, but last Fall I didn't know how MUCH nicer it would be. Still, like others have said, $9000 is a LOT of money. My miserly nature would not have allowed me to justify the difference, even if I tried, to negotiate the 2014 down a bit. Besides after a long test drive, I wanted it THEN! No regrets! I got to ride last fall and I got it in the brown color with the tan seat - a combination I REALLY like that is no longer offered.

I don't seem to be much bothered by the "hot right foot" problem, but on warm days, I do get burnt thighs from the heat coming up around the seat. But like I said... No regrets.

Hmmm.... I wonder if the dealer is driving a 2014 Limited this year and I can cut another good end of season deal on a trade???

Rob
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-19-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Dave, You and I are usually at least within spitting distance of one another's opinions...
    Your reply has me stumped...
    Could it be a little bit of "sour grapes"; doing the talking?
    "As many issues as the 2013s"... That's a pretty decent exaggeration. They DID find some oil leaks, and some keys that stuck; what else?
    They are not faster? Have you seen them run side by side yet?
    A FEW more miles per tank... In my case; there's a full 6 mpg difference. That's over 30 miles per tank! Would you want to walk the difference?
    However: I DO agree that the proper setup on a 2013 gets them in the same ballpark...
    Some folks don't have that type of commitment to problem-solving... I have, and continue to; applaud you for your efforts!
    NEITHER is a poor choice...

...But the 2014 might be the better choice...

In my humble opinion; of course!
    As I said Bob the only difference between the 2014 and 2013 is the engine. The frame,brakes and suspension(except the front shocks) are the same. A 1 gallon added tank will get you in the same distance category. 63000 miles worth of gasoline difference in price? I have been in all the problem threads on the 2014 and although there may have been a major heat issue with the 2013 design( hopefully fixed by the recall and software) there were actually less reported problems across the spectrum than the 2014 has had. 1 major vs. many minor issues They both had a stop sale problem. They both had a recall. I am glad you are happy with yours and the longer service intervals may be nice ( I would never run a motorcycle 9K mi. without an oil change though. Recent reports of oil testing on a 1330 show the oil is toast at 4k). In reality the HP and torque difference is negligible and exaggerated due to added weight of the new engine so yes they are not faster but by a hair.

"While we expected the extra 332cc of the Inline Triple to really get the ball rolling, our seat-of-the-pants impressions say it’s incrementally more powerful than the V-Twin, predominantly in the mid-range rpm we mentioned. This is due in part because the new powerplant added 57 pounds according to Spyder spec sheets, so the power-to-weight ratio hasn’t changed much. " http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/97/170...irst-Ride.aspx

I was on the fence about upgrading but am back on the ground. I do not see THAT much added value or performance to justify the price tag. The long term reliability of the 998 Spyder is well know the 1330 is yet to be seen. I was a test pilot once for BRP but will not do it again. THAT is the deal breaker for me. You asked me if I had ridden a 2014, have you spent some quality time on a properly set up 2013? Orange juice vs. Pineapple juice both are sweet plus you can get the luggage and frunk switch on a 2013 LTD.

P.S.
    I like the color combo's of the 2013 better except for Cognac and since everyone has one that color it no longer is desirable to me. I DO NOT like the 2 tone seats on the RTS either.
    Last edited by Magdave; 06-19-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Does anybody think there is a chance of locating a new 2012 at a similar price hiding in a crate somewhere (at a similar cost to a 2013)?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,
    There's more going on here than you've given BRP credit for:
    The new charging system; the new 1200 watt alternator puts out a whole bunch more juice!
    The new clutch engagement system makes keeping the revs sp a strictly personal choice now!
    The added gear in the transmision that's now possible due to the new triple's powerband and output...
    And of course; the new cooling system.

No doubt; both model years ride on the same great chassis...
    They both still look great too!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Screaming caps says it all.
    1. You don't own a 2014 RT-S so obviously don't have a clue about them.
    2. If I had to explain, you would not understand.
    The 2" stainless steel cat bypass for $125 is for increase in torque/power, getting rid of choked up Cat.
    (nothing to do with heat because that is not a problem on 2014 RT-S).
    3. I owned a 2013 RT-S for 9,000 miles; a 2011 RT-S for 22,000 miles.
    4. So I have hands on experience, heat mods, many thousands of miles trouble free on RT's.
    Jack, Get a life, instead of bad mouthing 2014 RT owners who have the riding experience.
    Facts are: the 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 is a major improvement over previous years that have major heat problems with boiling gas in tanks, brake master cylinders overheating, vacuum hoses cracking, etc.
    Doc in Florida has 15,000 miles trouble free on his 2014 RT-L.
    Hope Len enjoys his new RT, his decision.
    Enjoy your rydes.
    Jim
    Not bad mouthing 2014 owners. Not sure where you came up with that. I have ridden a 2014 for two days. And thanks I will try my best to get a life.

Just trying to figure out why an owner would want more power on the 2014. I thought it had enough and confused thinking perhaps you were having a heat problem. Anyway lets stop the sensitivity and bickering and try to help this guy make a decision that he can live with.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

For what it's worth. When I was at the dealer today getting the first service, I looked at the 2014.

Sales guy with a lot of spyder miles really likes the 2014, but told me to keep my 2012. Said there just wasn't enough difference to justify the upgrade, and he knows I do 15 - 20k miles on my scoot a year. In my case, about a 7k diff from what I have left to pay on the 12 RT A&C with many S parts to a 14 S.

I suppose I'll run it up to 20k miles or so and sell privately and look for leftover 14's then. Math will be better.

Spyder Garage

May I suggest you add BikeDoc's "15000 Plus" thread to your research.

Spyder Garage

Default "Real Gas" ?

Quote Originally Posted by hollylmh View Post
    Having just spent 6 wks ridding my 13 RTS SE5 and enjoying the Blue Ridge area of the country, I must say I am much more impressed with it than I was on the FL flatlands. Plus with "real gas" I got 35 MPG having a blast!
    OK, I gotta ask this... What do you mean by "real gas". Are you talking about high-octane, and does that make a difference in mileage? With mid-octane gas, I'm getting about 28 mpg on my Limited. Can there be that much difference in mpg between the RTS and the RT Limited?

Rob
    2013 RT Ltd.
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's probably a reference to ethanol-free fuel...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,
    There's more going on here than you've given BRP credit for:
    The new charging system; the new 1200 watt alternator puts out a whole bunch more juice!
    The new clutch engagement system makes keeping the revs sp a strictly personal choice now!
    The added gear in the transmision that's now possible due to the new triple's powerband and output...
    And of course; the new cooling system.

No doubt; both model years ride on the same great chassis...
    They both still look great too!
    Well in my eyes the Spyder engine includes the tranny. Why would anyone need the extra gear how far above 100 do you need to go? How many ever use it? True about the charging system but I have not read about many stator issues. I have grown to enjoy the extra revs personally and coming from a Wing I assume the 14 is more like it...boring. With all the reported little bugs on the 14 you are right about not giving them credit they did not deliver a trouble free engine. I believe it was supposed to be on the 13 and they took an extra year to iron out the bugs but still have them crawling about. JMHO but down the road in a few years I may re evaluate my desire for the 1330 but get more satisfied with what I have as I get more used to it. Seriously the power band and output are not that much better it may seems so because you get a little more torque lower in the band with less rpms but max torque on both is close enough to the same considering the extra engine weight. I have been looking for the 0-60 times, the 2013 is 4.5sec, but BRP has not released it on the 14 nor have any of the reputable reviews mentioned it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    OK, I gotta ask this... What do you mean by "real gas". Are you talking about high-octane, and does that make a difference in mileage? With mid-octane gas, I'm getting about 28 mpg on my Limited. Can there be that much difference in mpg between the RTS and the RT Limited?

Rob
    2013 RT Ltd.
    I should have said "Pure Gas" and the link says it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,
    I was HOPING that I'd get a chance for a little bit more Give and take" on this one with you!
    Engine/Tranny... fair enough; I won't ding you on it again for neglecting to differentiate between them...
    But... the 6th gear is VERY useful; given the Triple's powerband, and subsequent redline...
    It wouldn't work with the 998s at all... it was never designed to be "backwards compatible" with that engine...
    But I would like to see the hydraulic clutch lock-up system used in the other bikes...
    It would save on a lot of clutch plates and long faces, when clutches wear out early!

Oh! The powerband...
    The 1330 is putting out as much torque from 2000 rpm to redline, as the 998 does at it's peak...
    My opinion only; but that sure seems like a "little more"; than a 'little more"...
    1330 Torque.jpg Sorry for the arful "screen capture"...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-19-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,
    I was HOPING that I'd get a chance for a little bit more Give and take" on this one with you!
    Engine/Tranny... fair enough; I won't ding you on it again for neglecting to differentiate between them...
    But... the 6th gear is VERY useful; given the Triple's powerband, and subsequent redline...
    It wouldn't work with the 998s at all... it was never designed to be "backwards compatible" with that engine...
    But I would like to see the hydraulic clutch lock-up system used in the other bikes...
    It would save on a lot of clutch plates and long faces, when clutches wear out early!

Oh! The powerband...
    The 1330 is putting out as much torque from 2000 rpm to redline, as the 998 does at it's peak...
    My opinion only; but that sure seems like a "little more"; than a 'little more"...
    1330 Torque.jpg Sorry for the arful "screen capture"...
    http://can-am.brp.com/content/dam/ca...Sheet%20EN.pdf

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-sto...de-review.htm/

"While roll-on testing back-to-back with a 2013 RT V-twin at the 2014 launch last week in Florida showed the new RT triple is not appreciably quicker at lower speeds, BRP Project Leader Michael Tissier said the goal was to improve roll-on acceleration from 80-120 kph, or 50-75 mph, and there it does feel stronger and less busy than the revvier twin. The 2014 RT’s top speed is higher, it idles lower at 900 rpm and taller gear ratios drop the rpm significantly at cruising speed. Overall the roadster’s NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) are all significantly reduced, while the triple’s signature exhaust note and feel give it an impressive turbinelike quality, like a cross between a Honda Gold Wing and Triumph Rocket III. I noticed a touch of vibration cruising at 4,100 rpm in top sixth gear, which Tissier attributed to some resonance from the belt final drive."

Regardless of the numbers almost all reviews I have read say the 2014 it is not quicker by much. That chart shows a very choppy torque distribution. Most performance guys like to see a smooth progression( more like the 998) not a jump and fall flat on it's face. I don't do much roll on acceleration at 55-75mph heck most of my riding is not at that speed but the 998 pulls enough there for me. I am sure the added torque in that range would be nice if you need it. $9k nice? I also can appreciate the hydraulic vs. centrifugal clutch engagement I will give you that it is one thing I would like to have. The gears in the 2013 get me rolling more than fast enough quick enough to get into trouble.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would take them both for a test drive and base you decision on that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave,
    You ROCK!!
    I couldn't find a better picture to compare the torque curves... Thanks!

Can you do me a favor?
    Find a buddy, and a 2014 RT...
    Now you just need a spot for some roll-on tests.
    Pick a gear and a speed, and let the fur fly!
    It should be fun!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's just, "Too Cool; for School!"