Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Parked Spyder SE5 stuck in Reverse

I went out to start the 2011 RT SE5 this morning and the danged tranny is stuck in Reverse. Does anyone know how to get it to neutral?

Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Never mind. I looked over under RT Shop Talk and sure enough they had the solution and I am so glad it was so simple. I thought I had tried the correct solution, but obviously hadn't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsquid View Post
    I went out to start the 2011 RT SE5 this morning and the danged tranny is stuck in Reverse. Does anyone know how to get it to neutral?

Thanks
    I assume you mean that after you it started the engine it failed to shift to neutral by itself.

You can shift it manually with a wrench. I don't remember the size but it is one of the ones in your tool kit. Put the wrench on the nut on the back of the shift lever so that it acts like an extension of that lever. Swing the lever toward the rear should shift into neutral.

That's the easy part. Why did it not shift on it's own?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm not aware of the way to shift the SE5 manually with a wrench. I did find out on the RT Shop Talk that it is as simple as putting your foot on the brake and engage the starter. This was the first time this has happened to me, but I will know better in the future.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I'm not aware of the way to shift the SE5 manually with a wrench. I did find out on the RT Shop Talk that it is as simple as putting your foot on the brake and engage the starter. This was the first time this has happened to me, but I will know better in the future.
    Both the foot on the brake and the wrench trick are in your owners manual.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Well I need he

Never mind. I looked over under RT Shop Talk and sure enough they had the solution and I am so glad it was so simple. I thought I had tried the correct solution, but obviously hadn't.

Thanks

I I have a 2012 rss se5 I got off the bike an we to go into reverse.... Went to go start it an now is stuck in reverse. I tried everything... I had no choice but to call the tow truck at 9:30pm.... An I'm just getting home now at 2:30 am.... JESUS KNOWS I NEED HELP...... UGGGGGGGG

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Both the foot on the brake and the wrench trick are in your owners manual.
    What page(s) is that information to be found? Would be nice to know so I don't have to read the entire manual again. Last read through I fell asleep. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Suggestion...

this is a really old thread and may be skipped over by many best post a new one..but if you read the post here now "testing pictures" there are a couple pictures showing how to shift manually...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the pictures

I too have looked for the information in the manual and found it. I forgot exactly what page it was on, but it is in the Road Side Repair area. However, the explanation lacks details, so I went out to my 2011 RT-S SE5 and took a look. The SE5 transmission is really very similar to the standard transmission except for the addition of some hydraulics. Instead of operating the shifter with your left foot, a hydraulic cylinder has been added. If you look under the spyder you will see the shifter arm with a couple of flats that will fit a 13mm wrench. If you attach the wrench you will be able to shift the transmission. Please make sure the engine is off when doing this.

This will not fix the cause of your problem, but at least you will get it unstuck.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    What page(s) is that information to be found? Would be nice to know so I don't have to read the entire manual again. Last read through I fell asleep. Thanks.
    This is an old thread and you did not share the model and year of your Spyder. Newer Spyder manuals do not have this as a roadside repair anymore. So it may not be there. If you have an older model. The page it could be located on will be different for each year and model. The only reason to manually shift a SE5 is if you are stuck on the side of the road and maybe would like to shift it into 2nd gear and drive to a safer location.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I too have looked for the information in the manual and found it. I forgot exactly what page it was on, but it is in the Road Side Repair area. However, the explanation lacks details, so I went out to my 2011 RT-S SE5 and took a look. The SE5 transmission is really very similar to the standard transmission except for the addition of some hydraulics. Instead of operating the shifter with your left foot, a hydraulic cylinder has been added. If you look under the spyder you will see the shifter arm with a couple of flats that will fit a 13mm wrench. If you attach the wrench you will be able to shift the transmission. Please make sure the engine is off when doing this.

This will not fix the cause of your problem, but at least you will get it unstuck.

Thanks for the photos and the additional information.
    I learned something this morning.

Spyder Garage

Default Slick idea

You're welcome. I thought it was clever how BRP took a standard transmission and automated it.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks You.....

Quote Originally Posted by HeathsCancerFree View Post
    I I have a 2012 rss se5 I got off the bike an we to go into reverse.... Went to go start it an now is stuck in reverse. I tried everything... I had no choice but to call the tow truck at 9:30pm.... An I'm just getting home now at 2:30 am.... JESUS KNOWS I NEED HELP...... UGGGGGGGG

First and and firemost I want to say thanks.... I got out the 13mm wrench an with then key in on position so I can see what hear it was in. I pulled the transmission shifter..AN YES IT WORKED..... BIKE STARTED RIGHT UP..... I THINK IM STILL GOONG TO TAKE IT TO GET SERVICED TI SEE WHY IT GOT STUCK IN THE FIRST PLACE.... THANKS A MILLION ALL MY SPYDER FRIENDS.... HEATH GOD BLESS.....

Spyder Garage

I'm having this same problem stuck in reverse . Did you ever find the solution to the problem. Need help!@