Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth Dongle

We are looking to having the bluetooth dongle installed on both of our RT Ltd.s - the dealer told me it would take at least 4 hours to install on each spyder! To the tune of approximately $400+ per spyder??!! That is on top of the cost of the dongle and the Sena. Does that sound right to anyone else? We don't know anyone who has had it installed, so don't know if that is a ridiculous amount of time and if it is worth the expense.

Thanks!

Michele & Steve

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep BRP is raping people for the SM10 kit which is nothing more than a stock SM10 and a small dongle connector that BRP made propritary so people could not do it themselves.
    Totally crazy pricing and this does not include the headsets!

You should see how to do it yourself for much cheaper in this thread I made.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...our-own-Dongle!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I saw the instructions last night (borrowed) and forgot to look at what the OEM install time is. That is what dealers have to go with. Anything beyond that they are ripping you off. I can't believe that the dealer is not giving you a deal because you are doing both.

The electrical skills for this is minimal. Mostly plug and play, but the time consuming part is the removal\re-install of the tupperware.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are definitely sticking it to you.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SENA Dongle/SM10 and cable

I have the SM10 transmitter/Dongle in stock $114.95
    the cable SCA0123 $20.00
    call me if you want me to send them also I have the SMH10 heaD SETS IN STOCK AND ON SALE
    DAVE

Quote Originally Posted by Brew crew View Post
    We are looking to having the bluetooth dongle installed on both of our RT Ltd.s - the dealer told me it would take at least 4 hours to install on each spyder! To the tune of approximately $400+ per spyder??!! That is on top of the cost of the dongle and the Sena. Does that sound right to anyone else? We don't know anyone who has had it installed, so don't know if that is a ridiculous amount of time and if it is worth the expense.

Thanks!

Michele & Steve

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I keep sayin'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130857848881...84.m1497.l2649

The Inter Phone is a Bluetooth Headset designed for the motorcycle rider and passenger who wish to have clear and reliable wireless communications while riding. This headset is compatible with Bluetooth cellular phones and can be suited to any sort of helmet for motorcyclists.

This device allows bikers to receive GPS voice instructions, communicate with the passenger on the back seat, to conduct calls on their mobile phone and listen to the music or their MP3 player.
    Last but not least, the device offers biker-to biker intercom communication.

This headset works with any Bluetooth equipped mobile phone. Designed and Engineered for Heavy-Duty Performance.

mine works great for $80 it is my favorite farkle so far. I listen to Winamp on my Nexus after I imported my iTunes & playlists to it on my desktop and synced it. both wifey and phone calls as well as GPS directions shut the music down and it resumes automatically after.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brew crew View Post

Thanks!

Michele & Steve

If you already bought the BRP kit, install it your self. It's almost a no brainer. The instructions have pictures and are fairly good. I haven't put mine on yet but I think it's going to be about 2 hours. I am not mounting mine in the frunk as BRP directions state. I'm putting mine in the back trunk where it really belongs.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default Installed Myself on our 2013 RT Limited

The install sheet states 1.5 hours, my dealer was going to charge around 140.00 to do it however had given me a hard time because I didn't purchase it from them.

I believe there may be many options however I will share my recent experience on our 2013 RT Limited with the dongle purchased from BRP.

It is not clear what year you have and I am too new to know what details are different just yet however on my byke I was installing a corbin seat therefore I knew I would have everything torn apart and planned to do it then. After the seat was off I located the access panel that covers the radio on the passenger's right side. Once that panel is off, the cable from BRP plugs into the front of the radio. I installed ours in the trunk by drilling a hole about 4 oclock to the audio connector already in the trunk. I also pulled the entire wire through and wrapped it around the dongle holder. Others have left this in the speaker area.

If one was to do this without replacing the seat I believe you would need to raise the seat and remove the two bolts holding the cover to the radio on and pull that out. You would also need to remove the right side passenger arm rest. On the 2013 there are 3 bolts holding it on, all 3 are accessible via the trunk. I would also recommend taking the two bolts covered by the right hand saddlebag out as well just to allow the sides to be a little more flexible and I found it helped to get the speaker/armrest piece off the byke. Except for maybe needing additional room you may not need to disconnect anything, if room is an issue I would disconnect the antenna and other wires there. I found that I had to cut the zip tie there in order to remove the assembly completely. Pick a spot that will be covered weather wise which is why I had chosen the 4 oclock area from the cable already there and drill it. Fed the wires through and connected it to the radio and put it all back together. I used the 3rd bolt holding the passenger's back rest on to hold the dongle bracket.

I would say you could do the first one in a couple of hours provided you are comfortable with a socket/wrench yourself, the 2nd should be faster. If you want it installed in the frunk, I will not be able to help you on that as I am still learning on how to take that all apart myself.

I don't understand why BRP wants it installed into the frunk, and although I have only had it installed since last Saturday I haven't noticed any particular issues with it installed there.

There are links to the home made one and I had been following it to some level however given that I had already purchased mine from BRP I worked with that.

As everyone else has indicated it is the SENA SM10 in the box, I think the 100+ is for the special cable which ends up not being really too special from the sounds of it.

The 400+ to do the work seems way high.
    Last edited by kyace2003; 07-17-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: corrected sentence. removed comment about not being too high after rereading the original post.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    the cable SCA0123 $20.00
    call me if you want me to send them also I have the SMH10 heaD SETS IN STOCK AND ON SALE
    DAVE
    Dave, you need to let people know that unless they have the communication harness already installed (most do not even on the limited), your SM10 and cable SCA0123 wont work as there is nothing to hook it to!

This is why BRP has the propeitary dongle cable you cannot get from them without ordering the full BRP SM10 kit!

However, if people want to DIY the propietary cable themselves as I have showed in my DIY video, then all they need to order from you is the SM10 ()and headdsets if they need them). They do not need the SCA0123 cable at all.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI, the easy way to get at the radio without a bunch of tupperware removal!

Running the cable to the trunk can be done without removing the right rear speaker housing (pain) but removing the rear seat back (easy) is reccomended so you can see your routing.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dongle is about $110 - can get it right from MotorcycleDave here.

If you bought the BRP kit, it comes with the cable to hook it up. You can do it yourself. I don't know the time involved to do it the BRP way, but their instructions say to put it in the FRUNK, and on the limited, it will be beneath the liner, which to me seems like a pain to get to.
    Anyhow, putting it in the FRUNK, requires more tupperware removal than I feel is necessary, and certainly more than if it is in the trunk, where you can get to it without sending out the bloodhounds.

It does need to be located someplace convenient, because if it is just left alone, and left on, then over the course of a long rainy spell, the battery will drain, and it will take about 10 minutes for it to get enough of a charge to work again. In the trunk, we can just turn it off at the end of the day, when the missus takes her purse out of there.... easy peasy!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Dongle is about $110 - can get it right from MotorcycleDave here.
    You mean the SM10 from Dave? The Dongle (google that as I think people are using the term wrong) is the special cable to convert the radio connector to the SM10 connectors. That is what a dongle is. I think Dave does not have that Dongle (cable) but does have the SM10 for $110.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You mean the SM10 from Dave? The Dongle (google that as I think people are using the term wrong) is the special cable to convert the radio connector to the SM10 connectors. That is what a dongle is. I think Dave does not have that Dongle (cable) but does have the SM10 for $110.

Bob
    That would be correct terminology. the "dongle" would be the cable to hook one device to another. I think when I ordered my SM-10, it was listed as a bluetooth dongle, but it is actually a "Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter". That's not only hard to say, but really hard to type...

Spyder Garage

FYI, the easy way to get at the radio without a bunch of tupperware removal!

Running the cable to the trunk can be done without removing the right rear speaker housing (pain) but removing the rear seat back (easy) is reccomended so you can see your routing.

Bob
    Thanks for the video link, I had seen that in the past and wanted to reference it but didn't know where it was. Is there any chance that water could get down behind the backrest and then into the trunk, this is why I had chosen the right speaker area, also I had it torn apart due to the Corbin armrests too so it was very easy for me at this point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anytime I have drilled a hole in the trunk area I have sealed it off with RTV.

In my video here I chose to make the hole pretty high up in an area that should not get exposed to much water sources. I talk about this at the very end of the video so skip forward if you like.

I understand about the speaker area but with the back seat removed, you can feed the cables to the trunk and tuck them under the speaker box and still have a hole about where you wanted it.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 07-17-2013 at 06:24 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOU are correct

However....... that will not last much longer and BRP told me that you can get their cable only
    without buying the entire setup. that same SM10 works on many other bikes with a sound system
    and a different cable to plug into the bike to make it work... Harley, Gold Wing and such.
    Dave

Dave, you need to let people know that unless they have the communication harness already installed (most do not even on the limited), your SM10 and cable SCA0123 wont work as there is nothing to hook it to!

This is why BRP has the propeitary dongle cable you cannot get from them without ordering the full BRP SM10 kit!

However, if people want to DIY the propietary cable themselves as I have showed in my DIY video, then all they need to order from you is the SM10 ()and headdsets if they need them). They do not need the SCA0123 cable at all.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

However....... that will not last much longer and BRP told me that you can get their cable only without buying the entire setup.
    Dave
    Dave, that would be cool for many future buyers!

Let's hope it is true as not many will have the skills to do my mod even when you can order the correct connectors as Shelbydave pointed to in my DIY thread.

Maybe BRP is listening to users instead of ripping them off for super high priced cost on off the shelf devices. The mark up they are adding just for a simple "Dongle" connector 4" long is stupid!

I also would LOVE it if they would release the pin out specs on the 2nd plug on the radio. I think there is a lot of potential in hooking up audio devices if we know this pin out spec! This would include having the CB and BT SM10 setup at the same time as well as making the PTT button on the handle bars do something!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 07-17-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

the cable SCA0123 $20.00
    DAVE
    Dave

what is the SCA0123 cable?

I am planning on making the cable finless did in his DIY video, but I am confused as to what your cable is? does it plug into the BRP radio?

I thought the SCA0123 just plugs into the DIN connector on the Spyder but does not put the onboard radio thru the SM10, but instead puts the SM10 into the radio.... I dont know if I worded that correctly.........
    Last edited by lookerjdc; 07-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    Dave

what is the SCA0123 cable?

I am planning on making the cable finless did in his DIY video, but I am confused as to what your cable is? does it plug into the BRP radio?

I thought the SCA0123 just plugs into the DIN connector on the Spyder but does not put the onboard radio thru the SM10, but instead puts the SM10 into the radio.... I dont know if I worded that correctly.........
    I can answer for Dave since we talked on the phone last night and he now understands the difference.

The SCA0123 cable is a DIN cable that plugs into the DIN jack on the dash of an RT equipped with the CB and Entertainment harness. It is similar to cables for Harley's etc that have this DIN jack. If you have that harness you will have a DIN plug up front made to plug in the WIRED headset BRP makes. If you don't have that harness, you wont have the DIN plug! Most people only got this harness if they wanted the BRP CB. As I believe this is an add-on even for the RT Limited!

Bottom line this SCA0123 cable will not work unless you have the CB/Entertainment harness! It also wont plug into the trunk iPod jack and work because that jack is INPUT and not OUTOUT the SM10 needs. The plug will fit, but it wont work!

Dave can respond more but you have to trust me on this. Do my DIY or buy the BRP kit. It's the only way to get the SM10 connected to the radio WITHOUT having the BRP CB/Entertainment harness.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 07-18-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

finless

thank you very much for that explanation - thats sort of what I thought about that cable

I am going with your DIY cable (I purchased the parts listed in your original thread and they arrived yesterday)

I will purchase the SM10 from Dave to support our vendors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

finless

thank you very much for that explanation - thats sort of what I thought about that cable

I am going with your DIY cable (I purchased the parts listed in your original thread and they arrived yesterday)

I will purchase the SM10 from Dave to support our vendors
    If you have any questions or need help, let me know! I will help you.

PM me if you want my phone number.

Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you have any questions or need help, let me know! I will help you.

PM me if you want my phone number.

Bob
    thank you very much Bob

if I get stuck I will PM you

I assume you are using standard 20 gauge wire?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thank you very much Bob

Yes correct!

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thank you very much Bob

The unit does not need heavy wire! The USB cord for power is what it is and for sure not 20 gauge! Most USB plugs are rated for PC power and less than an AMP. They are probably like 28 gauge.
    The audio is also not 20 gauge. It does not need to be as it is a low level signal. So use what you can find as it really does not matter.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For audio, I ordered the cable from Mouser Electronics, and just soldered the terminals on to the end of the wire.
    For the power, I had an extra micro USB cable laying around, so I cut the standard USB end off, and used the wires.

I know the pins I listed are supposed to be solderless, but since the pins are like 10 cents each, and the crimp tool for the pins was listed at $650.00, I decided to do a combination. I used a tiny bit of solder, then crimped. works great, and saved a ton of money.