Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sealboards on an RS - how do they fit & function?

I am posting outside the RS "box" because I know several of you have owned more than one variant of the Spyder. My wife does not feel safe with the stock RS peg/foot-brake configuration, but loves the feel of the new ST with the floorboard setup it has. The sealboards are the closest I've been able to find to getting her to that point, but the very few photos I've seen have only spawned more questions. I am hoping that some of you (or even the vendor), have some good photos of how the OEM brake pedal fits & functions with the sealboard attached. A rear paw (foot) included in the photo would be of tremendous value so my wife could see how her foot would have to be positioned (not contorted) to SAFELY and QUICKLY use the brake. One caveat; I have the over-sized brake pedal cover installed. I can go back to original, but am curious whether it could stay on and function.
    The few photos I've seen (including the vendor's) show what appears to be the brake arm with some sort of blade-style pedal (certainly not OEM). Please feel free to elaborate on this. I know this is an option, but is it preferred?

For the record, yes, I have used the search function and yes, I have found some posts, but none with useful photos that my wife can use to make a $14,000 judgement on. I really appreciate any insight you all can provide because I think she would really like this RS if I could make this modification along with the handlebar risers.
    Thanks for your help - this site has been invaluable.

LA-Monster, I hope & pray you and your wife are well on the road to recovery and that there are no devastating physical or mental scars from your encounter with the deer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Imnotlost View Post
    I am posting outside the RS "box" because I know several of you have owned more than one variant of the Spyder. My wife does not feel safe with the stock RS peg/foot-brake configuration, but loves the feel of the new ST with the floorboard setup it has. The sealboards are the closest I've been able to find to getting her to that point, but the very few photos I've seen have only spawned more questions. I am hoping that some of you (or even the vendor), have some good photos of how the OEM brake pedal fits & functions with the sealboard attached. A rear paw (foot) included in the photo would be of tremendous value so my wife could see how her foot would have to be positioned (not contorted) to SAFELY and QUICKLY use the brake. One caveat; I have the over-sized brake pedal cover installed. I can go back to original, but am curious whether it could stay on and function.
    The few photos I've seen (including the vendor's) show what appears to be the brake arm with some sort of blade-style pedal (certainly not OEM). Please feel free to elaborate on this. I know this is an option, but is it preferred?

For the record, yes, I have used the search function and yes, I have found some posts, but none with useful photos that my wife can use to make a $14,000 judgement on. I really appreciate any insight you all can provide because I think she would really like this RS if I could make this modification along with the handlebar risers.
    Thanks for your help - this site has been invaluable.

LA-Monster, I hope & pray you and your wife are well on the road to recovery and that there are no devastating physical or mental scars from your encounter with the deer.
    HI, Although there are a ton of RS Seals out there, I think they must all be out riding in comfort and can't get to a computer. I'll try to answer your questions about the brake. I no longer have a RS, so can't take any pictures at the moment. I now ride a 2011 RT.

In order to get the comfortable riding position on my 09 RS, I needed, I did three things:
    1. I installed a 5" Helibar extender to allow me to sit straighter.
    2. I added a 25" tall windshield
    3. I invented the Seal Floorboards

I quickly discovered that sitting straight meant that I needed to move the brake 2" forward. I did this by designing an steel, angle brake extension that bolts on top of the existing brake pedal (very easy). It is what you refer to as a blade style brake. I discovered that, in a panic stop, it was the easies to reach without my foot slipping on wet rubber. Because of the location to the brake, I can use either my toe OR heel to brake comfortably, depending of where my foot was on the Floorboard. Even though I'm only 5'8" I find I naturally put my feet forward when I ride. This means that when I brake I simply pivot on the ball of my foot and brake with my heel. My foot does not leave the Floorboard. Because of some physical issues, it's important that I stay in contact with the Floorboard as much as possible. For frequent in-town stop-and-go driving, I find it works best for me. However, either heel or toe works equally well, it's just a preference. I hope this answers some of your questions. Feel free to contact me via PM.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    Seal Floorboards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2009 GS/RS SE5 with Seal Floorboards. I find it very easy and natural to work the brakes the way John set them up. I did not like the feeling of using the brakes with the OEM setup, just too cumbersome. I never know whether I am going to be using my heel or the ball of my foot when I stop I just put my foot on the brake blade and stop. So what I am trying to say is once you get to riding with the Seal Board setup it quickly becomes second nature and you don't think about it just like in your car you don't think where is the brake you just step on it.

Here is a link to some photos of my spyder that are too large to post on the forum that give a clear look at the brake and the Seal floorboards on an RS.
    http://webcentr.net/hotlinked-images/webryder/

Hope this helps

Thanks again John for the great floorboards.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have Seals on my 2011 RS and love them, I also use my heel to brake as I can't feel my feet I keep it against the "Blade" and just lift and press down with my heal,this works great for me,but it's a YMMV thing. if you want pics,PM me and i'll take some.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    I have a 2009 GS/RS SE5 with Seal Floorboards. I find it very easy and natural to work the brakes the way John set them up. I did not like the feeling of using the brakes with the OEM setup, just too cumbersome. I never know whether I am going to be using my heel or the ball of my foot when I stop I just put my foot on the brake blade and stop. So what I am trying to say is once you get to riding with the Seal Board setup it quickly becomes second nature and you don't think about it just like in your car you don't think where is the brake you just step on it.

Here is a link to some photos of my spyder that are too large to post on the forum that give a clear look at the brake and the Seal floorboards on an RS.

Hope this helps

Those are some excellent pictures. Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pictures. I have also been looking about the Seal floorboards and these answered alot of questions that I was wondering about. Seal should use some of these pictures on there website, especially the ones from the bottom that are kind of split view. Those are really revealing about how far forward you can move your feet and where the brake is going to be etc.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all very much for providing all the great information. I really appreciate the responses, and those photos were great. The added benefit is, it looks like some others were looking for the same type of information. Hopefully I titled the post well enough that others will be able to find it on a search. If not, the moderator is free to modify it or move it.

Again, many thanks!

Spyder Garage

How hard are they to install? I have the RS SM5, does it include photos of the install?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    How hard are they to install? I have the RS SM5, does it include photos of the install?
    Of all the posts I have read, the installation is very straight-forward and usually doesn't take more than a half-hour or so. That being said, the SM models (like yours) does take a bit longer than the SE models because of the extra hardware involved in the shifter mechanism.

I am sure that John will provide any information you need regarding self-installs. He monitors the forums and is very proactive about answering any questions anyone has.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I does appear that alot of folks like the seal boards though in my opinion for quality and comfort the ISCI boards are quality crafted and fit the astetic looks of the spyder and they do work and feel great if your looking for some comparisons these should be worth a look and they are also a site sponcer also the have picks on their site for the RSS and Rt just my opinion.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Also worth checking out is http://www.web-boards.net/

They are coming out with RS/ RSS floorboards shortly. They are using our bike for measurements next Monday.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Givi Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post

Hope this helps

Wow, those are some great shots. I'd like to put them on my website. Thanks for your support.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    Seal Floorboards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Wow, those are some great shots. I'd like to put them on my website. Thanks for your support.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    Seal Floorboards
    No problem John. Do you want to download them or have me email them to you?