Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The biker's "CODE" of friendly hello's? NOT today!!!!

Wow---my crest has fallen!

My wife and I were out ryding this afternoon-a 2 wheeler come up from behind me to on the highway---I raise the hand (Friendly) to say "HEY" and he goes barreling by us giving us a THUMBS-DOWN to us. Sheesh! So much for the code of the "bikers"!!!! My wife said, "Wait until he is in his 50's and has health issues, he'd give anything for a Spyder and won't be giving the thumbs-down then! I just couldn't believe it. That was a first!!!!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

I've had a few Harley riders give me a not so friendly greeting. Being a former Harley guy myself, I have noticed that some don't think you're "cool" unless you're on a chopper or bobber. I always rode Ultra Classics and Road Glides. I would wave at them anyway, just to p*** them off.
    But you're right, someday they will be old too and still want to ride, hope I'm around to say 'see, it ain't so bad'.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's just some people...not all. I agree. Most are good, unfortunately some are not.

Spyder Garage

I wave no matter what. We are all free of our cages when we are out there, nothing else matters.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

It's not worth it to get upset at those who don't reply with the "wave" or give a less than friendly sign. That's their problem, not ours.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc45 View Post
    . I would wave at them anyway, just to p*** them off.
    As i have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,
    But p***ing everyone off is a pice of cake.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Just consider the

I flash the headlights, wave or nod the helmet. If that isn't good enough for you then maybe a seagull at 50 MPH to the head will get your attention

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Really, the only people I've had that have "looked down" on me for riding a Spyder have been a very few Harley riders who don't wear helmets. I probably have over 85 % of people I wave to wave back...and some that don't either didn't see me or couldn't wave. That's about the same as when I last rode 2 wheels...my Yamaha V Star 1300T that I traded in on my RT.

And I've only had one person say anything negative to me about the Spyder. That was a helmet-less Harley rider at a charity ride over a year ago. He said something about how he'd rather just drive his truck when he got older than ride a Spyder. His wife and daughter told him to shut up about the same time I said something about him maybe not being a real rider, then. His wife laughed.

I still can't stop anywhere when I'm riding the RT without people (including bikers) coming up to me and asking questions like crazy. It's kind of neat.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

It does not matter what we ryde but that we ryde!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Really, the only people I've had that have "looked down" on me for riding a Spyder have been a very few Harley riders who don't wear helmets. I probably have over 85 % of people I wave to wave back...and some that don't either didn't see me or couldn't wave. That's about the same as when I last rode 2 wheels...my Yamaha V Star 1300T that I traded in on my RT.

And I've only had one person say anything negative to me about the Spyder. That was a helmet-less Harley rider at a charity ride over a year ago. He said something about how he'd rather just drive his truck when he got older than ride a Spyder. His wife and daughter told him to shut up about the same time I said something about him maybe not being a real rider, then. His wife laughed.

I still can't stop anywhere when I'm riding the RT without people (including bikers) coming up to me and asking questions like crazy. It's kind of neat.

What does helmet have to do with anything? I have friends that are & I am a non-helmet wearer. I have never heard any of those i know say any thing like what you say about us, about folks like you. I just can't for the life of me understand why they would not want to wave at you ---Budro
    Last edited by budro; 05-12-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It's not worth it to get upset at those who don't reply with the "wave" or give a less than friendly sign. That's their problem, not ours.
    DON'T let it ruin a perfectly good day...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by budro View Post
    What does helmet have to do with anything? I have friends that are & I am a non-helmet wearer. I have never heard any of those i know say any thing like what you say about us, about folks like you. I just can't for the life of me understand why they would not want to wave at you ---Budro
    I will say that most the people that don't wave are on Harleys, but a lot of Harleys still wave. For the most part around here the no helmet crowd also happens to ride Harleys, but in Indiana you see less people wearing a helmet than people who wear helmets.

I will be honest. I return waves but seldom initiate.

Spyder Garage

What does helmet have to do with anything? I have friends that are & I am a non-helmet wearer. I have never heard any of those i know say any thing like what you say about us, about folks like you. ---Budro
    The helmet, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with a riders additude. I don't think he said that all riders without helmets have a negative additude towards a 3 wheeler. Some riders do and some riders don't, with or without helmets. My experience is very few actually act in that negative way towards the Spyder. I could care less what anyone rides, two wheels or three. I have a half dozen two wheelers along with the Spyder in the garage, I can choose what I ride and I choose to ride the Spyder most of the time. It's a blast,,Its not a motorcycle and it doesn't pretend to be. It is not trying to be a motorcycle. It merges the open air of motorcycling along with the Handling of a sports car. It provides the safety benifits that can only be found in an above average car such as Electronic brake Distribution System, Stability Control System, Traction Control System, Anti-lock Braking system and Dynamic Power Steering system. These are some of the reasons the spyder has become my primary ride.
    It doesn't matter what you ride, be safe, have fun and enjoy the fantastic scenery out there.
    Last edited by StanProff; 05-12-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    It's just some people...not all. I agree. Most are good, unfortunately some are not.
    It's the insecure ones who are not. Don't be guilty of accepting their faults.

I had a guy that I met in heavy traffic on an overpass who screamed out of his pick-up yesterday, "You should buy American!" There are haters out there. If I could have had a dialogue with him, I would ask what bike he had in mind. Harley, no doubt. Well I've got one of those and I probably have twice as much in it as he had in his truck. Oh, and my Spyder was made in the Americas, not in Asia as the 'brilliant screamer' probably thought.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I wave to everyone, Even to the Dee-we's on Bicycles, If they don't wave back , So what!
    If they have a negative comment, Why listen!?.....

Spyder Garage

You have your good people and bad blow them off and keep riding

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't know...all I know is what I see. It was the same when I rode two wheels.

I know lots of people who don't wear helmets and many of them are my friends. I see lots of helmetless riders wave back or express interest in the Spyder. However, virtually everyone who has acted negatively to the Spyder has been a Harley rider without a helmet. Only a very small percentage of Harley riders without helmets...very, very small...but there it is. I have no idea why. Only they know.

And I am NOT putting down people who don't wear helmets. I don't agree with them, but it's their choice.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Some people are just jerks no matter what you ride. I wouldn't let it bother me.

Spyder Garage

People like that, I usually pass them back and in most cases the Spyder will do just that!
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

It's like the "get a Harley like everyone else" which is a sheep mentality.... It's mostly ignorant people that spew that crap. Most of the crotch rockets, metric cruisers, and some Harley's would wave, I've had a couple full-dress Harleys give me the "I'm holier than thou" attitude. If anything it's mostly the idiots in the cages that cut me off or pass by me in no passing zones that get the "unfriendly" wave.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Most two percenters have tunnel vission, the rest simply enjoy life.

Ride what you like (two wheels or three) nothing else should matter, don't allow a few to rain on your parade.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Don't worry--I get the same response from some guys when I ride my sport bike as well. I don't get it--I wave at the rider NOT the bike--so who cares what you ride???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No worries

I have had alot more people come up and talk to me or wave (bikers) than the few that do not.
    As for the helmet not a choise here in New York , either you wear one or you do not ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My Job is to provide a friendly wave. It's thier job to wave back. I did my job and it's up to them to do thier job.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

This is IMHO an isolated case: most HD or sport bikes returned the friendly wave. While on the Spyder we stopped on the highways to help other bikers in distress, others they stopped for us...