Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder confused me today.......

Leaving for work this morning at 6, turned the key on the Spyder and no power. Wouldn't do anything. So I took the V-strom today. Got home this afternoon and tried to jump start it with no results, console would light up but as soon as I pressed the start button it went blank. Switched out the relays and that didn't do it. Eventually got the VSS, EBD, and ABS fault codes scrolling across the screen. Finally decided before calling the dealer to pick it up that I would completely remove the battery and see what was up. Took the battery out and the charge was fine, however the positive cable was severely coroded. Cleaned the cable end, reinstalled the battery and it runs fine now. Got the high rpms the first 2 times I started it, but everything seems reset now. Oh, well missed one day of riding the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Any ideas as to why the corrosion would be so bad?
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    Any ideas as to why the corrosion would be so bad?
    Can't figure that one out. The spyder is ridden daily so the battery is maintained. Not sure if it has anything to do with the Florida weather or heat, my KLR did that but I had a leaking cell and there's no leaks on the Spyder's battery. Service manager told me to put some vasoline on the connections or some spray protectant to help with the corrosion. I've got a trip planned this next weekend and when I get back it'll be ready for the 6k service so I'll have them inspect the battery a little more.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

maybe leaking a little at post that should be covered under warranty

Spyder Garage

When I installed my heated grips 3 weeks ago, I too noticed a lot of corrosion on the post. Considering I got the Spyder in April 2008, it seems a bit excessive.

Spyder Garage

It would be worthwhile to do a voltage check to see if the battery is being overcharged. Maybe a faulty regulator.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Way2Fast

Everyone should put grease or a anti corrosion spray on both battery terminals. This will prevent corrosion from starting. Once it starts, the terminals will have to be cleaned thoroughly with baking soda before applying an anti corrosion measure or they will continue to corrode under the coating.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    It would be worthwhile to do a voltage check to see if the battery is being overcharged. Maybe a faulty regulator.
    Did a voltage check today, the battery is fine. Also did a voltage check for shorts and everything was fine. Only thing the dealer suggested was either vasoline or anti-corrosion spray for the battery. I've got a trip coming up and when I get back it will be time for the 6k service so I'm just gonna have them replace the battery and cable under warranty.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Same here and confused

Just took delivery of my Spyder in October and I just had the same problem yesterday. I inserted the key, turned to the on position and nothing. I couldn't even get headlights. Tried sevral times, still nothing. I did notice that the two starts prior that day had hesitaion. Should I concentrate on the battery? The Spyder is only ridden on weekends currently and has under 600 miles.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by COOLHAND View Post
    Just took delivery of my Spyder in October and I just had the same problem yesterday. I inserted the key, turned to the on position and nothing. I couldn't even get headlights. Tried sevral times, still nothing. I did notice that the two starts prior that day had hesitaion. Should I concentrate on the battery? The Spyder is only ridden on weekends currently and has under 600 miles.
    Easiest place to start is with the relays, switch out #2 with #3 and see if it starts. If that doesn't work then I'd look at the battery.

I haven't had any problems since I cleaned off my cables and posts, put some vasoline on them to protect them. I did a 3 day trip and about 1,500 miles in the last week and have had no further problems.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by COOLHAND View Post
    Also try your spare key. There were a few bad ones. Beyond that, time to call the dealer. There were some serious electronics problems that resulted in dead Spyders.
    -Scotty