Spyder Garage

Default RT 2012 Fox Shocks vs. Elkas Please help compare

So I hear that the new FOX shocks on the 2012 RTS is far better than the stock ones I have on my 2010 RTS.

Question is, it it worth buying the FOX 2012's or Elkas? Big price difference too. Where is the best price to get the FOX shocks?
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Fox shocks are currently only available for the RS.
    http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...able_Shock_Kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All I can say is, " love my Elkas's "

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Fox shocks are currently only available for the RS.
    http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...able_Shock_Kit
    I hear the 2012 Fox RS shocks will also fit an RT and they cost much less than Elka's. but, I have not heard of anyone actually doing a performance comparison. I was able to look at a RS Fox shock side by side with an RT Elka, and they are nowhere near as impressive or strong looking as the Elka. The springs are about half the size and the piston is smaller in diameter. Given the big difference in weight of the RT vs RS, its hard to imagine a shock built for a much lighter machine being effective on an RT...
    Last edited by cjackg; 04-19-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget the Works Shocks - I really enjoy mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    I hear the 2012 Fox RS shocks will also fit an RT and they cost much less than Elka's. but, I have not heard of anyone actually doing a performance comparison. I was able to look at a RS Fox shock side by side with an RT Elka, and they are nowhere near as impressive or strong looking as the Elka. The springs are about half the size and the piston is smaller in diameter. Given the big difference in weight of the RT vs RS, its hard to imagine a shock built for a much lighter machine being effective on an RT...
    While at the dealer I pulled up right next to a 2012 RSS and compared my Elka,a and the difference in substance and quality is Evident to me. IMHO

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fox V.S. Elkasshocks Have a friend with Fox on RTS and Loves them, I am going to try

I have a friend who has RSS Fox shocks on his RT Limited, he swears by them, I plan to try them, not saying they are comparable to Elkas, because I have never tried them, but if I can get an appreciable difference for over a $1000 less, would be worth it to me. Makes sense that if they are $1000 higher, they probably are better, but for the difference, I would be satisfied because we don't run that hard, we are just cruzers, retired, in no hurry. Will respond with an honest opinion when we get around to trying, our dealer is putting them on a RTS, and said we could try out before ordering.
    Last edited by Extracool; 04-19-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Extracool View Post
    I have a friend who has RSS Fox shocks on his RT Limited, he swears by them, I plan to try them, not saying they are comparable to Elkas, because I have never tried them, but if I can get an appreciable difference for over a $1000 less, would be worth it to me. Makes sense that if they are $1000 higher, they probably are better, but for the difference, I would be satisfied because we don't run that hard, we are just cruzers, retired, in no hurry. Will respond with an honest opinion when we get around to trying, our dealer is putting them on a RTS, and said we could try out before ordering.
    I Don,t know where you get the $1,000 difference- Fox are $450 a Pair and Elka $695? (I Paid $600 on Site Special) So to me thats about $150 difference?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Works

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Tell us more. I've looked at the Works site and can not find any info on Spyders. Did you get shocks only and use your original springs or a complete easy-to-bolt on package? If so, are the springs a different rate than the OEM springs? Is the ride height the same as original? What is adjustable on the Works shocks that you bought? Rebound damping? Compression damping? Easier preload than the stock adjustment? How would you describe the ride and handling compared to original? Lean, stability, harshness, bump absoprtion, etc? How did Works go about getting a workable package together? I doubt they have much experience with Spyders. How's the price compared to Elka?
    Thanks.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Whats the price on the Works shocks for a Spyder ?