Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile Left Middle Side Panel Tether

Others have reported that the tupperware cover for the oil tank/dip-stick, the "Left Middle Side Panel" as it is known in the RT Operator's Guide, can blow itself free from its grommets in the slipstream and be lost.

What is needed to prevent losing it is a restraint, or tether. I used the neoprene wrist strap from a long-fogotten camera and a piece of coat-hanger wire bent into shape to make a tethering point. Not everyone will have a camera wrist strap lying about, but I think the method I've used is suitable for a variety of materials.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 10-18-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good thinking!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very nice indeed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

good idea .. but too late for me .. the panel lies somewhere in italy (if someone finds it - pls give me a PM)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Having lost mine recently also, I used a similar method but used a very tiny bungee cord which pulls the panel inward slightly, yet has enough elasticity to allow opening/pulling back the panel for checking the oil.

On further thought, if the panel were to come loose again, the bungee might possibly break, so a strap like Geofcee shows above might be the better idea.

Now, if only I can find one of the many straps removed from cameras and such!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Having lost mine recently also, I used a similar method but used a very tiny bungee cord which pulls the panel inward slightly, yet has enough elasticity to allow opening/pulling back the panel for checking the oil.

On further thought, if the panel were to come loose again, the bungee might possibly break, so a strap like Geofcee shows above might be the better idea.

Now, if only I can find one of the many straps removed from cameras and such!
    If you can't find one, go to the hardware store and buy some 1/16" aircraft cable and some fittings and make your own tether.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have both my right and left panels secured with velcro. I had service done on mine before I left on my trip and they didn't properly secure the right side. I noticed that the panel was loose as I was going 80 and the velcro held it until I was able to pull over.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Industrial Velco

I installed industrial velcro to the panels and it holds them snug. No worries!

Spyder Garage

Where did you attach the velcro? Doesnt seem to be much overlaping edge that would provide a good hold....or will it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guinness View Post
    SpyderAnn01 & guinness: Why not share your ingenuity and post a picture? Sounds like a great idea. If it's that good I'll use it myself and get my old camera wrist strap back!
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 10-20-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I have both my right and left panels secured with velcro. I had service done on mine before I left on my trip and they didn't properly secure the right side. I noticed that the panel was loose as I was going 80 and the velcro held it until I was able to pull over.
    Quote Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Please post a pic of your velcro installation. You both have a great idea .

Spyder Garage

All great ideas. I lost the panel on my 2010 RT early on and it was replaced with a new improved design.

What happened to the hook? My new panel came with a hook to solidly mount the panel to the RT

Here is a photo. The white paper is mine that I added just to highlight the hook

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    All great ideas. I lost the panel on my 2010 RT early on and it was replaced with a new improved design.

What happened to the hook? My new panel came with a hook to solidly mount the panel to the RT

Here is a photo. The white paper is mine that I added just to highlight the hook

I have a 2010 RT-S that was a later July 2010 build and it has a big plastic hook like 3 wheels new panel The big plastic hook slides into the front first and then the back pins go into the gromets.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry I've been out of the loop for a few days. My Spyder isn't at home but here is a picture I took of the panel. I drew a box in white around the velcro. The panel is sitting upside down in the picture. I used 1" velcro and used a piece that was probably 3 or 4" long. It sticks really well. IMAG0708.jpg
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks SpyderAnn. I'll see if I can put some on mine.

Spyder Garage

Baker Air Wings solved my panel trouble .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    SpyderAnn01 & guinness: Why not share your ingenuity and post a picture? Sounds like a great idea. If it's that good I'll use it myself and get my old camera wrist strap back!
    Never lost a panel but you look like you have a good fix for those who have. I went the velcro route way back when.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I'm sorry I've been out of the loop for a few days. My Spyder isn't at home but here is a picture I took of the panel. I drew a box in white around the velcro. The panel is sitting upside down in the picture. I used 1" velcro and used a piece that was probably 3 or 4" long. It sticks really well. IMAG0708.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Never lost a panel but you look like you have a good fix for those who have. I went the velcro route way back when.

Thank you both for the pics

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Good mod for a $30 grand + Bike but should it be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Others have reported that the tupperware cover for the oil tank/dip-stick, the "Left Middle Side Panel" as it is known in the RT Operator's Guide, can blow itself free from its grommets in the slipstream and be lost.

What is needed to prevent losing it is a restraint, or tether. I used the neoprene wrist strap from a long-fogotten camera and a piece of coat-hanger wire bent into shape to make a tethering point. Not everyone will have a camera wrist strap lying about, but I think the method I've used is suitable for a variety of materials.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    No, it probably shouldn't be needed but for a few pennies you won't be worried about losing your panel. They usually fall off because they weren't put on correctly I don't think they generally just fall off. I had my Spyder in for service and I believe that they didn't properly secure the panel and I noticed it while going down the expressway the velcro held it on.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default All my fault

No, it probably shouldn't be needed but for a few pennies you won't be worried about losing your panel. They usually fall off because they weren't put on correctly I don't think they generally just fall off. I had my Spyder in for service and I believe that they didn't properly secure the panel and I noticed it while going down the expressway the velcro held it on.
    I haven't lost a panel but have noticed it flapping. I'm to blame for this, it appears when pushing the panel in place the grommet is pushing through. I purchased 3m emblem adhesive {automotive grade} eventually all grommetts will be glued.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Good mod for a $30 grand + bike but should it be needed?
    I've noticed that life has many more uncertainties than perfections. It's never been the case that because you spend a lot of money you are guaranteed a perfect product. All anyone can do is recognise that in this very uncertain world sh*t happens.

I haven't personally lost a panel but others have. When you know that, it runs contrary to common sense not to prevent it from happening to you. It has nothing to do with what you paid for your Spyder. Think of it this way: If your panel falls off and disappears down the road you'll have the extra expense replacing it. Fitting a tether or a few inches of Velcro is the smart thing, doing nothing is tempting fate IMO.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 10-27-2011 at 10:30 AM.