Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default engine trouble/limp mode

Well here it goes again, I have 2400 miles on my 2011 and this is the second time I have had the dreaded limp mode problem, first time was loose battery.
    I was driving at 50 mph when she suddenly died on the highway. I pulled over and tried a restart, got the engine trouble warning then limp mode. The throttle would not respond so I restarted again after I allowed it too cool for about 5 minutes. As soon as it started it went into limp mode but as I limped along it suddenly cleared and was fine again. I took a lunch break then about 10 minutes down the road it happened again but this time I could not get it in 1st gear due to limp mode so I had to push it to a driveway. I restarted several times but it kept going into limp mode. I drove half way home this way when again it cleared up and allowed me to travel the remaining 10 miles with out issues.

When I got home I checked the battery and all was tight. I also checked the relays but they were all properly seated. I checked the oil and it was fine. When I restarted about 3 hours later it went straight back to lime mode, but after a few restarts it cleared up but only after it started rough. I live 40 miles from the dealer so I have to find a trailer to get it to them.

I was riding with my feet up on the makes shift highway pegs when it started so I know it was not the break.

I forgot how to pull the codes, can some one go through this again, I tried a search but no luck.

Regards,

Randy
    Last edited by bluestratos; 09-13-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you press and hold the mode, set, and turn signal cancel buttons at the same time you should see a code... like P 0524
    That being said, this is something the dealer should worry about, though they might not be close.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No code showed up so this will be fun. Ive already been told that this dealer may lack when it comes to diagnostic skills.

I have the oyster run in 2 weeks and I am not sure how I can even get it down to them with out paying to get it hauled there.

I noticed it ran rough this morning and that it backfired as I started off. Its running now but no way I am taking it down the freeway for 40 miles. I knew this was a mistake to buy a vehical with so little support.

Correction, it still goes to limp mode if I excellerate hard, just got back from a test run.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 09-11-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    No code showed up so this will be fun. Ive already been told that this dealer may lack when it comes to diagnostic skills.

I have the oyster run in 2 weeks and I am not sure how I can even get it down to them with out paying to get it hauled there.

I noticed it ran rough this morning and that it backfired as I started off. Its running now but no way I am taking it down the freeway for 40 miles. I knew this was a mistake to buy a vehical with so little support.

Correction, it still goes to limp mode if I excellerate hard, just got back from a test run.
    You MAY be projecting the future without having first experienced it. Just a suggestion.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Sounds like it should still be under warranty and the BRP road service will pick up the first $200 of towing charges. You're not alone in wishing there were more dealers, but 40 miles away isn't really that bad. Only HD riders seem to have it good when it comes to the availability of dealers. Good luck and keep us informed.
    Dan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default limp mode

I had my rts go into limp mode about two weeks ago and had to take it to the dealer, the rep there put my bike on the cumputer and after 2 hours could not find anything wrong so he called the factory rep and he told us to try putting in a new oil filter and try that. We did this and I'll be damm the limp mode went away and that week-end we went on a 600 mi. trip without any problems and is still fine, knock on wood!!!! I have no idea what would be the problem with the filer but I'm up and running.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gary lester View Post
    I had my rts go into limp mode about two weeks ago and had to take it to the dealer, the rep there put my bike on the cumputer and after 2 hours could not find anything wrong so he called the factory rep and he told us to try putting in a new oil filter and try that. We did this and I'll be damm the limp mode went away and that week-end we went on a 600 mi. trip without any problems and is still fine, knock on wood!!!! I have no idea what would be the problem with the filer but I'm up and running.
    Well, that has to be a new one. I read all of these limp modes and that is a first!

Spyder Garage

I was going to go for a ride yesterday,went out and started spyder,went into limp mode rite away checked for codes and had po524 oil sender so phoned dealer and ordered an oil sender unit.Still under warrantybut will pay for switch about $14.00 a lot cheaper than trailering spyder to dealer 65 miles away it would be at least $65.00 for fuel

Spyder Garage

Is this problem just happening with the 2011's?
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode

i have been reading threads on limp, dps, and other codes for my 2011 rts. This is my wish, no more codes !!!

but just in case a computer that can remember what it says to you while riding, and will repeat it to the repair tech

when you get it to the shop. instead saying i'm OK just get me outta here before that guy rips my skin off and sticks his finger where it should not be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I learned a couple things, 1 the limp mode must be lit to check the code and 2, the dealer will tow if under warranty. I thought that only applied to extended warranty policies. I borrowed a good trailer so I plan to haul her down today.

The reason I "projected the future" was that after reading the dozens of postings regarding limp mode repairs most of them take considerable time to diagnose and then the parts are not stocked so about a 1 for parts to arrive, if they are in stock. My dealer always has a week back log so unless it turns out to be something simple, I can plan on 2-3 weeks .

I will let you know when I find out more.

P.S. Does the bike need to be running with the fault code displayed to access the codes or just ignition on? Right now it shows a flashing engine symbol key on, then after I start it displays the limp mode warning.

Regards,

Randy

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote edited by MouthPiece for clarity in response

The reason I "projected the future" was that after reading the dozens of postings regarding limp mode repairs most of them take considerable time to diagnose and then the parts are not stocked so about a 1 for parts to arrive, if they are in stock. My dealer always has a week back log so unless it turns out to be something simple, I can plan on 2-3 weeks .

Randy
    Would you please?

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool MAYBE to LIMP MODE

I was told by a Tech. that Limp mode could happen and to clear it turn the bike on and off three (3) times, Not to start it, just turn it off and on and that would clear the computer. Will it work? I don't know ,I haven't had the problem.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer will NOT pay for tow

My dealer told me that I had to pay for the tow. He said BRP would not pay - my bike is new as of july with 3000 miles. As you may be able to guess I am furious and may talk to an attorney.

Well I learned a couple things, 1 the limp mode must be lit to check the code and 2, the dealer will tow if under warranty. I thought that only applied to extended warranty policies. I borrowed a good trailer so I plan to haul her down today.

P.S. Does the bike need to be running with the fault code displayed to access the codes or just ignition on? Right now it shows a flashing engine symbol key on, then after I start it displays the limp mode warning.

Regards,

Randy

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lasermic View Post
    My dealer told me that I had to pay for the tow. He said BRP would not pay - my bike is new as of july with 3000 miles. As you may be able to guess I am furious and may talk to an attorney.
    Do you have BEST? If you do, towing is covered (up to a limit). If not, your warranty does not include towing. Your Spyder won't get towed any farther than a Chevy would, without added road service. Retaining an attorney seems a bit harsh...and futile. A righteous dealer would send a trailer to try to help out, though, if asked real nice.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I believe once you stop the engine by turning the key off the codes become inactive and are stored in the stack for BUDS to read but I don't think you can access them after that point.

In that reply you'll notice a couple of "believe" and "think" qualifiers.

Maybe if you turn the Spyder off using the kill switch you could read the codes.
    I dunno.
    If the code relates to something that only happens when the engine is running, it will be cleared from the active code roster when the engine is turned off or killed. If the component activating the code remains in operation with the kill switch off, it would remain until the key was turned off. Note: there would be very few things that would do this. For maximum accuracy you should display the codes while the engine is running and "Limp Mode" is showing. Since the Spyder does not shut down the engine upon these errors, I see no reason why an owner should do so immediately. There is time to pull over and read the codes. Be aware, however, that limp mode can remain on after a problem clears, until the ignition is turned off and the computers are rebooted. Even while still running you may not display any active codes...or they may appear intermittently. Looking at the occurred codes in BUDS is the only good way to troubleshoot these problems...most of which would require a technician to repair anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer called today and said they found 2 codes, one for low voltage at the throttle actuator and the second for the actuator itself. They have ordered the parts and I have agreed to pay any extra costs associated with expediting the order if necessary. It may be under 2 weeks to get it back depending on if the parts are in stock in Vancover or Toronto. I will let you know more when I get bike back.

Regards,

Randy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile Latest update-great service!

I recieved an unsolicited email from Carlos with BRP on Wednesday asking for the dealers name and number and that he was following this thread. He called my dealer and worked with them (Life Styles Honda and Recreational Products in Mt. Vernon, WA) to expedite the parts delivery and even thought I had offered to pay for addtionional shipping costs, BRP is taking care of it for me! The parts are due to arrive on Saturday and the dealer has promised to put this on the highest priority to ensure it is ready before I leave on vaction (In order to get a ride from my wife to pick it up it has to be ready not later than 5 on Wednesday (keep in mind they are closed on Sundays and Mondays).

I am actually shocked at the great service and care I have recieved from Life Styles Honda and BRP. I work in the construction industry so I am working with suppliers and subtrades every day and have become used to the lack of communication and failure to meet deadlines. While the bike is not yet repaired, the effort that has been put forward is fantastic.

I believe this trike will enjoy a exponetntial increase in popularity as in style, comfort, safety and performance it outclasses most anything else out there. It has opend up the market to a variety of riders that do not or cannot ride a conventional 2 wheel vehical for what ever reason. I know the engine has been put the test for years bit I understand new techologies will have their share of problems. What matters is how those problems are delt with and this proactive approach demonstrates intrinsic values rarely found in todays industries.

I will keep you posted once I get the unit back.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 09-16-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

oil sender came today installed it limp mode gone, clear codes, im on the road again yahoo

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ENGINE TROUBLE/LIMP MODE

HAVE BEEN IN SHOP 3 OR 4 TIMES- RECENTLY WITH MULTIPLE ERROE MESSAGES AND LIMPS---- BRP SAYS SOMETHING DIFFERENT EACH TIME AND TECH'S AND DEALER IS GETTING STRESSED AS AM I- LOVE THE BIKE BUT CAN;T KEEP HAVING THIS HAPPEN-- ALL RECENTLY TOO! MAYBE I NEED CARLOS? WHICH SOMEONE FROM BRP WOULD WRITE ME= PLEASE... MY TECH IS AT WIT'S END-- LAST SUGGESTION WAS TO "BEND " A PIECE-- HELP!!! RIDE ALONE AND AM ALONE NOW THAT HUBBY DIED=== NEED HELP WITH THIS AND MY DEALER IS DOING WHTA THEY ARE TOLD BUT SEEMS TO NOT WORK!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS? JJ

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoanJenn View Post
    HAVE BEEN IN SHOP 3 OR 4 TIMES- RECENTLY WITH MULTIPLE ERROE MESSAGES AND LIMPS---- BRP SAYS SOMETHING DIFFERENT EACH TIME AND TECH'S AND DEALER IS GETTING STRESSED AS AM I- LOVE THE BIKE BUT CAN;T KEEP HAVING THIS HAPPEN-- ALL RECENTLY TOO! MAYBE I NEED CARLOS? WHICH SOMEONE FROM BRP WOULD WRITE ME= PLEASE... MY TECH IS AT WIT'S END-- LAST SUGGESTION WAS TO "BEND " A PIECE-- HELP!!! RIDE ALONE AND AM ALONE NOW THAT HUBBY DIED=== NEED HELP WITH THIS AND MY DEALER IS DOING WHTA THEY ARE TOLD BUT SEEMS TO NOT WORK!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS? JJ
    Like i said in your other post, I'm thinking battery, Your dealer should have checked that first
    Also what did he mean by ''Bend a Peice''

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My Wheels are back on the road

I picked up the bike from my dealer on Tuesday as promised. They kept me informed each step of the way and were very cautious about making promises they may not be able to keep. They replaced the throttle switch and the heated grip and it runs fine now. It does not idle the same as before, a bit lumpy like a racing cam, but it smooths out a bit as it warms up. Last night I gave it a wash then I had to set my clock ect. I had it running as I did this and noticed that the red warning icon (engine) came on three times and went back off again. It ran fine and it did not go into limp mode. I wonder if it just a quirk related to programing the time and date? If it stops raining I will test ride again tonight but I came almost 50 miles back from the dealer and no problems at all.

I want to thank Life Styles Honda and BRP for their service on this as they went above and beyond to ensure I had it back it time for my trip.

Regards,

Randy

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The check engine light and the rough idle idicate that it still has a problem. It is better, but it still needs work.

Spyder Garage

I picked up the bike from my dealer on Tuesday as promised. They kept me informed each step of the way and were very cautious about making promises they may not be able to keep. They replaced the throttle switch and the heated grip and it runs fine now. It does not idle the same as before, a bit lumpy like a racing cam, but it smooths out a bit as it warms up. Last night I gave it a wash then I had to set my clock ect. I had it running as I did this and noticed that the red warning icon (engine) came on three times and went back off again. It ran fine and it did not go into limp mode. I wonder if it just a quirk related to programing the time and date? If it stops raining I will test ride again tonight but I came almost 50 miles back from the dealer and no problems at all.

I want to thank Life Styles Honda and BRP for their service on this as they went above and beyond to ensure I had it back it time for my trip.

Regards,

Randy