Spyder Garage

Default KewlMetal Helmet Locks

Does anyone have any experience with the handlebar end helmet locks that are sold by KewlMetal? I am thinking about picking up a set for those times where the compartments are being used and not enough room for 1, or 2, helmets in them. Would save having to carry them around. I am also interested in the installation. Is it easy? Do you have to worry a TON about the throttle spring jumping out at you?

Spyder Garage

I am totally sold on the idea of using these, I had my dealership install and they put on a loctite (bad idea), as these needed to be replaced as one of the locks went bad. I called up kewl Metal and they sent out a replacement at no cost. I held on to the one bad pair just in case, and sure enough after about 10 uses the other one went bad (would not unlock) when my helmet was attached. I rode home that night in a helmet mandatory state with the helmet still attached to the handle bar. Luckily it was on the left side where all I had to do was paddle shift with my hand through the helmet. Probably looked funny.

Well I get home and have to use a hack saw to cut through the lock to get my helmet off. I re attached the other one I had and now use two different keys(each set they sell comes with a different key set.) Still no biggie, except now my right one is stuck and won't unlock. but nothing is attached so I am leery of even using the last one. They look nice though. I so wish they were of better quality.I think I paid like $119 + shipping.

The first time I did speak with Kewl Metal the girl on the phone said that they had only had a few that went south.

Maybe I got the only 3 that don't work but I am gun shy to ask for replacement and then end up stuck far away from home.

If they fixed the design flaw that is causing this (should never happen) then I would reconsider.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I, too had my helmet get stuck in one of these. But, I was able to force a screwdrive into the lock and pry it open. I really was tearing my hair out about riding without my helmet, but it worked out. Kewl Metal also replaced mine, but I haven't as yet put it on, I'm just avoiding the whole thing.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have been using a set without any problems now for about 3 months.

Working great.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet locks

Quote Originally Posted by fredace View Post
    I, too had my helmet get stuck in one of these. But, I was able to force a screwdrive into the lock and pry it open. I really was tearing my hair out about riding without my helmet, but it worked out. Kewl Metal also replaced mine, but I haven't as yet put it on, I'm just avoiding the whole thing.
    I ordered a set along with a gps mount. After expecting it to show up about two weeks ago - the site still saying 'order processing' I called. Explained I really needed the mount asap... I had even paid a bit more for faster shipping. Was told the locks were back-ordered ... nice customer service person got permission to rush the mount- should have it tomorrow.

As for the locks - for the price they should Work! I debated using the locktite, the locks are mainly for the passerbys that want someone else's stuff. Remember in general locks keep honest people honest. Might use a mid strength locktite for vibration mostly.

Had the mechanic pull the end off the right handle - it the spring was going to pop out I wanted him the catch it. No problem, nothing came out. Assuming the lock just goes on with the screw it will be easy.

Has anyone had good luck with these or should I cancel them?
    Last edited by GASpyderLady; 09-13-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have these on my Spyder RT and they work very well. However, if you get them wet I would give them a quick shot of WD40 once they dry. I had one side not want to open after they got wet and went unused for a week. Gave it a little WD40 and all was well again.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    I have these on my Spyder RT and they work very well. However, if you get them wet I would give them a quick shot of WD40 once they dry. I had one side not want to open after they got wet and went unused for a week. Gave it a little WD40 and all was well again.
    good to know, I will give this a try, maybe thats all it is

Spyder Garage

Thanks all!

Well, I just ordered a set. I will let you know how the installation goes. I will keep in mind to spray them down after they get wet as well. Would it be better to use WD40 type of spray or a dry graphite?

Spyder Garage

Default WD 40

Some claim that the WD stands for Water Displacing formula #40. When we tested it in the lab it did a very good job of wetting the metal part. Thus it does displace or replace the waters' contact to the metal. It did provide some measure of lubrication but under wear this property quickly disappeared. Graphite is a good dry lubricant but it has a limited function with respect to water displacement. My suggestion would be to spray WD-40 on the lock if it gets wet. Wipe off the excess liquid and then a shot of graphite will keep the part lubricated.

Spyder Garage

I don't leave my new Shoei unattended, I say "new" because some POS grabbed one of my two matching yellow and black scorpion exo 700's off my seat. I parked right in front of a big window at the Post Office, 2 seconds, in and out, it was gone! Grrrrr

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Time to Call for replacement

I bought these...thinking just what I need...left hand one only worked twice...have tried silicon spray and WD40 to get to release/open...no dice....the rt one works but is starting to get "sticky"...so am reluctant to use...I don't carry an extra helmet nor a hacksaw...could prove a problem in a helmet mandatory state!!!! Calling Kewl in a.m. I had my dealer install....so looks like I will have another expense to replace left "post"....at this point not sure I would recommend these...great idea, but seem to have multiple issues....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Not worth the worry

[QUOTE=murphybrown;371875]I bought these...thinking just what I need...left hand one only worked twice...have tried silicon spray and WD40 to get to release/open...no dice....the rt one works but is starting to get "sticky"...so am reluctant to use...I don't carry an extra helmet nor a hacksaw...could prove a problem in a helmet mandatory state!!!! Calling Kewl in a.m. I had my dealer install....so looks like I will have another expense to replace left "post"....at this point not sure I would recommend these...great idea, but seem to have multiple issues....[/QUOTE

The point to spending $130 is to not have to worry about the helmets - not add a worry about will the helmet lock - unlock? Can you say $10 bike lock thru the passenger handgrips when the compartments are full -

Update. Decided to call KewlMetal - I think a vendor should have a chance to respond to these thoughts. Jamie answered the phone - very pleasant - also had a nice conversation directly with Matt. I will give them a try- he suggested that using the metal extenders that come with the product was a good safeguard. Matt said he will be answering this thread....
    Last edited by GASpyderLady; 09-13-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spoke to vender about issue

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    Some claim that the WD stands for Water Displacing formula #40. When we tested it in the lab it did a very good job of wetting the metal part. Thus it does displace or replace the waters' contact to the metal. It did provide some measure of lubrication but under wear this property quickly disappeared. Graphite is a good dry lubricant but it has a limited function with respect to water displacement. My suggestion would be to spray WD-40 on the lock if it gets wet. Wipe off the excess liquid and then a shot of graphite will keep the part lubricated.
    This advice is right on target! My locksmith recommends the same thing. WD-40 will dry a lock and free it up, but it will actually cause future problems with freezing and wear. A graphite lubricant like Lock-Ease will provide extended lubrication.

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Default Kewlocks

Kewlock Customers and potential customers.

There have been some pin failures, we do apologize for that. We are working with our suppliers and we are doing everything we can to have as close to zero failure rate as possible. The good news is that the failure rate is well under 1%.

1) Always use your helmet extender and IF your pin sticks, just bend the helmet extender back and forth until it snaps. No tools required, only takes a minute to get your helmet free. If you just remember this, you will never get stuck.

2) Return your locks to us for a new pair. We always replace the pair in these cases so you get 4 new matching keys, no charge, no questions asked.

3) Use some WD-40 in the locks every so often. This seems to work the best for me.

4) I have helmet locks on every one of my bikes, I love them, they are super convenient.

Matt

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi Matt: So let me understand..you want me to take the helmet locks off and return to you? To replace the bad pins? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    Kewlock Customers and potential customers.

There have been some pin failures, we do apologize for that. We are working with our suppliers and we are doing everything we can to have as close to zero failure rate as possible. The good news is that the failure rate is well under 1%.

1) Always use your helmet extender and IF your pin sticks, just bend the helmet extender back and forth until it snaps. No tools required, only takes a minute to get your helmet free. If you just remember this, you will never get stuck.

2) Return your locks to us for a new pair. We always replace the pair in these cases so you get 4 new matching keys, no charge, no questions asked.

3) Use some WD-40 in the locks every so often. This seems to work the best for me.

4) I have helmet locks on every one of my bikes, I love them, they are super convenient.

Matt

Spyder Garage

Murphybrown,

Yes, but just the locks, not the RT adapters. Unscrew them with the 4 4-40 screws. Just leave the adapters in place.

Then ship them back to:
    Kewlmetal
    6724 Corsair Ave, Unit 5
    Prescott, AZ 86301

We will send you out a brand new pair.

The new ones you will receive are 100% made in the USA and final assembled at Kewlmetal in Prescott. The previous ones you have were made, assembled, and packaged in China. We have moved all of our production back to the USA for better quality control and to keep all the $$ right here in the USA.

Matt

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    The new ones you will receive are 100% made in the USA and final assembled at Kewlmetal in Prescott. The previous ones you have were made, assembled, and packaged in China. We have moved all of our production back to the USA for better quality control and to keep all the $$ right here in the USA.

Matt
    Matt, When did you start shipping the "Made in USA" versions? I got mine from you last April. Would these fall into the "China" versions?
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

The made in USA versions have only been shipping for a few months now. The China versions say made in China on the packaging.

Matt

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Matt

As a future spyder owner I thank you in advance for moving your production and assemble back to the USA.

Spyder Garage

I've been using two locks on my RT for about 8mos. now and as long as they are lubed there should be no problem. I had one freeze up but it was a simple matter to just remove the lock leaving it fastened to the helmet. Got it freed up after I got home and reinstalled it. They keep honest people honest.
    Padre Spyder & Jenny
    Riding the Dream on a Dream Ride

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Question

Will the locks work on a rs or rss I'm guessing they have the same grips ???? I see ones for the rt has adapters .. Thanks John

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

These look just like the Kruy versions, which I have used for years without a problem. I just installed a new set on my new bike.