Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet stolen

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet stolen

We've ridden all over the U.S. for the last 3 yrs. and never had a problem leaving my helmet on the foot stand. We went to a prestigious high school football game the other night and someone had taken my helmet. What safeguards can I use in the future. Don't say the frunk...it's like my purse (has everything but the kitchen sink in it)!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    We've ridden all over the U.S. for the last 3 yrs. and never had a problem leaving my helmet on the foot stand. We went to a prestigious high school football game the other night and someone had taken my helmet. What safeguards can I use in the future. Don't say the frunk...it's like my purse (has everything but the kitchen sink in it)!!!
    That just Sucks !!!! The RT has a hook under the seat for the strap loops to attach to and when the seat is latched down the helmet is locked too. I am not sure what the RS has for helmet security. But googled helmet lock and found this item http://motorcycle-accessories.cruise...5&search2.y=13

Spyder Garage

Pretty low--that someone would steal a helmet off of your motorcycle. I have been driving bikes for over 45 years and never had it happen.

Karma will get them.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that Kewlmetal sells helmet locks that attach to the bar ends... Maybe one of our sponsors does too???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We have site sponsor Kewlmetal handle grips locks. They look nice too. Someone could cut the chin strap to steal it, but then the helmet wouldn't be much good for them either.

Spyder Garage

It's unbelievable that some people don't respect other folks property and they think it's ok to just take things. It just blows me away. It's unfortunate that you have to look into these but maybe it's time. I purchased the KewlMetal locks, they are a very easy install and they work excellent. I keep a spare key in my center console and when I need to lock up my helmets the key is always there. Then I just put the key in my pocket.

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/produc...roducts_id=523
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Savages . Im sorry used to use my hooks on my bikes but I dont know if the GS has them ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    I use a bike lock and lock my helmet to the passenger seat using the passenger handrails.

I edited the post to say I wear a full face and thread the bike lock cord through the face and lock it. They would have to cut the lock cord or break the chin bar to get it.
    Last edited by mosslips; 09-05-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: addition of info

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Locks?

The RS does not have the hooks under the seat or any other place to lock a helmet,but even if it did none of my helmets have a "D" ring or other place to lock it, only the strap which can be cut(making it useless)or simply unhooking the strap(1helmet has a buckle like a seatbelt,other must be thread though a buckle)eather way it can be removed from any lock without damage,so what good are helmet locks?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you have an RS with the BRP backrest and sportrack they sell these pins that you can hang your helmet from and the put the sport rack down and it locks your helmet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mosslips View Post
    I use a bike lock and lock my helmet to the passenger seat using the passenger handrails.
    This. $10 solution, no install necessary, I keep my chain coiled up in my tank bag.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is really crummy.....I always worry about that, but, have been lucky so far..........I would clean the frunk, I think that what i am going to do after reading this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If we're going in to a mall or some other high traffic area, we lock ours in the frunk. If we're somewhere with other bikes we leave them on the seat. It's a shame that we have to be this way. Around here if you leave anything unsecured around the mall, wally world or anyplace like that, it's gone. There are scumbags that roam these places just looking for an easy mark.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I had my GS I used a covered bike chain and combo lock threaded through both my wife's and mine full face helmets and the rear grips.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

There is nowher less secure than the parking lot at a high school footbal game, I swear! As a teacher for 35 yeaqrs, Nancy won't even ride her Spyder or drive her '63 Falcon to a football game, lest it be vandalized or messed with. Often it is the competing team's fans that do the damage. The steal, break off antennas, paint graffiti, etc. Nancy has seen it all, even in a small school system. This is one place where it is better to drive than to ride.

As to locking down the helmet, even with an RT I sometimes need an alternative. I use a PacSafe RetractaSafe retractable cable lock through the full face helmet eyehole. You can loop it around the handlebars in such a way that it cannot be removed if locked short enough. That is even easier to do on the RS, with it's attached control cables. I have also locked it through the spokes on my wheels on occasion, or to the swingarm.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    If we're going in to a mall or some other high traffic area, we lock ours in the frunk. If we're somewhere with other bikes we leave them on the seat.
    How ironic that the people who might actually *need* a motorcycle helmet-- other riders-- are usually the safest folks to be around!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can get a retractable cable lock for the grab bars on the back seat.

What I do is bought a two pack of long shank padlocks with plastic coated shanks. I place the helmet on my mirror and lock the helmet rings to the split in the mirror mount with the padlock.

I know a lot of people do not lock their helmets, but when you are miles and miles from home, having someone monkey with your helmet or take it means you are not riding home.

Spyder Garage

Default helmet lock

Sorry about the theft of the helmet; Go to your local police dept and ask about a cable gun lock. In Minnesota they provide them free. It comes with 2 keys. Thread the cable through the D-rings on the open face or the chin bar and then through the passenger hand grips. Helmet sits on passenger seat and is nice and secure. Lock stores easily anywhere quick and easy to use.

Spyder Garage

Default Securing Helmets

Quote Originally Posted by tobor9 View Post
    The RS does not have the hooks under the seat or any other place to lock a helmet,but even if it did none of my helmets have a "D" ring or other place to lock it, only the strap which can be cut(making it useless)or simply unhooking the strap(1helmet has a buckle like a seatbelt,other must be thread though a buckle)eather way it can be removed from any lock without damage,so what good are helmet locks?

We have Nolan helmets that don't have "D rings" but seatbelt type closures. Buy a T-bar which can be pushed through the end and secured by the hole in the end of the T-bar. It works just fine.

A thief certainly would not cut the strap which would render the helmet useless !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used a cable lock through the chin bar of a full face helmet attached to the rear grab bar of my RS (or RT).
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

I often leave my helmet (at least my cheaper ones) on one of the mirror stems--- but wouldn't even think of riding my spyder to a high school football game!

Now with my expensive helmet--- it goes in the topcase on the rear of my spyder 90% of the time I park it.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3pod View Post
    A thief certainly would not cut the strap which would render the helmet useless !
    A high school punk stealing it just to trash it most certainly would.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/produc...roducts_id=523

...And I apologize for not remembering that they ARE sponsors...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 09 RS has 4 eyelets under the seat that could be used for anchoring a locking cable. But I use a Safeman coil cable lock.

It uncoils and is long enough to run through helmets, coats, etc. When coiled or retracted it's about 4" X 3/4". The cable is about 1/4".

http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/SPCA/CATC109.html
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    Go to your local police dept and ask about a cable gun lock.
    This is my suggestion as well.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe