Thread: Shocks?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Shocks?

I've ordered the EVO sway bar to put on my 2009 RS SM5...I'm thinking the Elka shocks but wondering whether the improvement is worth the money and/or is there an alternative for other shocks?..Looking for opinions...Thanks...Larry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    I've ordered the EVO sway bar to put on my 2009 RS SM5...I'm thinking the Elka shocks but wondering whether the improvement is worth the money and/or is there an alternative for other shocks?..Looking for opinions...Thanks...Larry
    I also have the Evo sway bar on my 09 SM5---and I have decided to go with the stock RT shocks (2011). I think that would be adequate for my riding requirements.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did the sway bar - made a big difference in the amount of body roll
    Installed RT shocks about a month ago WOW!
    I had the original shocks set on 5/max stiffness for handling
    RT shocks are now set on 2 and makes a HUGE improvement in the handling
    though it has slightly roughend up the ride compared to stock shocks.
    And for about $300.00 I think it was worth it.
    Elkas are great shocks - just too much $$ for me

Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I also have the Evo sway bar on my 09 SM5---and I have decided to go with the stock RT shocks (2011). I think that would be adequate for my riding requirements.
    You will have to let us know how that works out for you,the 2011 shocks&springs are going to come re-calibrated from 2010 for a firmer feel.I have heard many really like the 2010RT feel on the GS/RS not sure if the 2011RT will be as compliant.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    You will have to let us know how that works out for you,the 2011 shocks&springs are going to come re-calibrated from 2010 for a firmer feel.I have heard many really like the 2010RT feel on the GS/RS not sure if the 2011RT will be as compliant.
    Yes, I was aware of the 2011's being some stiffer. Thought they would have enough adjustability to get the stiffness I want.
    Will keep you posted.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I was aware of the 2011's being some stiffer. Thought they would have enough adjustability to get the stiffness I want.
    Will keep you posted.
    Don't think you're going to like them but who knows. I know for sure the 2010 RT shocks work great on the RS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Don't think you're going to like them but who knows. I know for sure the 2010 RT shocks work great on the RS.
    Are they are lot stiffer?--I was thinking that with the 2010 shocks you would run those at about the middle of their adjustment and with the 2011 at the bottom, with all the adjustment left; If needed.
    I really know nothing about the 2011 RT shocks except that they are beefed up over the 2010 model.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Are they are lot stiffer?--I was thinking that with the 2010 shocks you would run those at about the middle of their adjustment and with the 2011 at the bottom, with all the adjustment left; If needed.
    I really know nothing about the 2011 RT shocks except that they are beefed up over the 2010 model.
    I don't think we know how they differ yet. I would expect that they have somewhat stiffer springs, and the 2010 springs already had 300 pound springs, according to an earlier post here. The 2010 shocks already had very stiff compression dampening, so I doubt that could be increased much, but who knows? The only answer will be for someone to purchase some and try them. Even then, without a direct comparison, it will be hard to judge. The biggest question is whether the 2010 RT shocks will continue to be available?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input...think I'll give the RT shocks a go at it first....cheaper...but if it fails...move on....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    Thanks for the input...think I'll give the RT shocks a go at it first....cheaper...but if it fails...move on....
    I think that is a good plan, and if you don't like the RT shocks there are plenty of people on here that would probably buy them from you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will have a set of used RT 2010 shocks available in about 3 weeks when I upgrade my RT to Works Performance shocks.

I will have my RT shocks with about 3,000 miles on them for sale when the Work Perf shocks arrive in 3 weeks. I am looking for $125 plus shipping and additional for insurance (optional) from Pittsburgh, PA.

I prefer paypal but they nick me additional 3.5% (so Add $5) to use paypal ...

So figure $130 total plus what ever it cost to ship plus shipping insurance (via PayPal) ...
    Last edited by clueless; 11-04-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Clueless....Consider them sold if not alreay spoke for. Send me a email with info on mailing address. Will send MO or check...I don't use Paypal, they ripped me off.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I sent Clueless a PM around 5pm. Hasn't responded yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

yes had 3 offers so consider them sold

thanks

Spyder Garage

The Elka shocks (front) that I ordered 3 weeks ago for my RS SE5 should arrive over the weekend and all going well will be installed next week. I will post my impressions for general info purposes after a thorough road test.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2010 RT shocks are the way to go. I can't afford the Penske's; if I could they would already be on! It just seems to me that the Elka's are waaaay over-priced and have too many bells and whistles for a Spyder. Some guys like having all those options though, and they are a very nice shock.

But I have the 2010 RT shocks on 14 and the difference is amazing. The 2011s are going to be too hard for the RS. I also put the sway bar on and plan to figure out a way to add a steering dampner of some sort as well. That should be fun! But I like a good challenge...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I put the penske's on. Are they worth the extra money, well that's debatable, but the ride is just what a wanted, a race car.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Back to the anti-swaybar for a moment... Where can I order one of those for my RT?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I also put the sway bar on and plan to figure out a way to add a steering dampner of some sort as well. That should be fun! But I like a good challenge...
    That's my current project - dampen the steering angle sensor signal.

Should improve turn-in feel and back-off the VSS aka "nanny" engagement during turns.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...Back to the anti-swaybar for a moment... Where can I order one of those for my RT?
    Evoluzione Cycle Sports http://www.evoluzione.net

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Said ta heck with it and ordered a new set (2010) of RT shocks to put on the rs....and the sway bar is on the way...oh yea....a new heater for the garage...think I'm gonna tear Spydie down and get familiar with the inner stuff

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Evoluzione Cycle Sports http://www.evoluzione.net
    Thanks for the info... I'm on it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
    That's my current project - dampen the steering angle sensor signal.

Should improve turn-in feel and back-off the VSS aka "nanny" engagement during turns.
    OK, I am completely intrigued! I need to read the links and wrap my head around the concept. I think you are onto something really cool!