Spyder Garage

Default CB/Comm system & Multi-function Display.

Picked up my RT-S with the CB/Comm system on Thurs. and put about 220 miles so far. I cannot get to the CB or Intercomm adjustments on the the Multi-func display. The mode button just skips right past it. Do you need the helmets plugged in to activate this? I'm going to get new lower cords for my Gold Wing helmets Monday.
    TIA
    SpyderPhyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

You do not need the headset plugged in. Sounds like they may have missed the com cable on install.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You do not need the headset plugged in. Sounds like they may have missed the com cable on install.
    Thanks I will call Monday to schedule 600 mile service and make sure they have the cable by that day to fix it.I found out when I picked it up that it was the first time they installed this system. Got to get it ready for SITS!
    Last edited by pwilbarger; 09-11-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you use the MODE to get to the CB screen THEN you use the left and right arrow buttons to move WITHIN the screen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    you use the MODE to get to the CB screen THEN you use the left and right arrow buttons to move WITHIN the screen
    That's the problem. Mode button skips right over that icon. I went to Sierra Electronics today and bought new lower J & M cords for my present helmets. Nothing came thru the helmet speakers not even the radio, only plays thru the bike speakers.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I'm taking it in Weds. for 600 mi. service and they will see what the computer tells them. The itemized list I got shows 219400201 (entertainment?) harness kit @ $109.99. I can only ass-u-me that since I paid for it they installed it.
    I bought new lower cords to fit the Spyder today at Sierra Electronics (285 mi. round trip) and I got nothing thru the helmet speakers as expected. The owner thought there was something you had to do to "turn on" the CB/Comm system but didn't remember what it was.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pwilbarger View Post
    I'm taking it in Weds. for 600 mi. service and they will see what the computer tells them. The itemized list I got shows 219400201 (entertainment?) harness kit @ $109.99. I can only ass-u-me that since I paid for it they installed it.
    I bought new lower cords to fit the Spyder today at Sierra Electronics (285 mi. round trip) and I got nothing thru the helmet speakers as expected. The owner thought there was something you had to do to "turn on" the CB/Comm system but didn't remember what it was.
    Turning on the CB requires using the squelch mode and hitting the "up" button just as you would take your entertainment radio out of mute. To turn off the CB, return to squelch and hit the down button. Your squelch setting is supposed to be "remebered" each time to avoid resetting. I'm not so lucky, though. Most of the time after turning on my CB the squelch will be either at the maximum or minimum setting and using the up or down button to reset doesn't work very well. Also my CB often continues transmitting for about 7-seconds after releasing the PTT button. My dealer and BRP have been unable to solve the problem with BRP "suggesting" that the problems are a result of not using their headset. However, the problems still occur without the headset being plugged in. Finally, IF memory serves, the CB can't be routed through the external speakers...only a headset.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you may have another problem then. I can't believe the dealer let you take it without testing it first.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you may have another problem then. I can't believe the dealer let you take it without testing it first.
    Well I found out after the fact that they had never installed one of these before. I was their "test" case I guess. They also installed the harness for the GPS input that I ordered. Maybe they have something messed up with the cabling.

This wasn't my first choise on a dealer as it is 50 miles away but the local guys didn't have a demo unit, told me they couldn't get any more RT-S's and then screwed me out of a deal on a used one (165 miles) they got a hold of after I had my Gold Wing serviced there to the tune of $900.
    Last edited by pwilbarger; 09-14-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    Turning on the CB requires using the squelch mode and hitting the "up" button just as you would take your entertainment radio out of mute. To turn off the CB, return to squelch and hit the down button. Your squelch setting is supposed to be "remebered" each time to avoid resetting. I'm not so lucky, though. Most of the time after turning on my CB the squelch will be either at the maximum or minimum setting and using the up or down button to reset doesn't work very well. Also my CB often continues transmitting for about 7-seconds after releasing the PTT button. My dealer and BRP have been unable to solve the problem with BRP "suggesting" that the problems are a result of not using their headset. However, the problems still occur without the headset being plugged in. Finally, IF memory serves, the CB can't be routed through the external speakers...only a headset.
    Can't get to CB/Intercom screen. Mode button skips right over it. I have not heard of anyone else having problems with J & M headsets.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default CB/Icom/Headset Problem Resolved!

I ordered & had the dealer install during prep the GPS interface cable that serveral people on this forum recommended to connect my Zumo 450 into the system. If you have the CB/Icom system and plug in this cable it blocks everything else according to BRP. They unplugged it and viola I have tunes in my head, CB squelching and VOX voxing. Ready to head to the Smokies! One cable also for sale!
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I ordered & had the dealer install during prep the GPS interface cable that serveral people on this forum recommended to connect my Zumo 450 into the system. If you have the CB/Icom system and plug in this cable it blocks everything else according to BRP. They unplugged it and viola I have tunes in my head, CB squelching and VOX voxing. Ready to head to the Smokies! One cable also for sale!
    Something isn't right. The GPS interface cable OVERIDES the tunes, but doesn't block them.
    Specifically, if you are listening to your tunes, and the GPS sends an audible signal through the interface cable, the tunes will shut down and you will hear the GPS instructions. Once the GPS instructions are complete, the tunes come back.
    Either your GPS is constantly sending some signal, or there is something wrong with your RTS audio system.
    This is the way my Zumo 550 works.
    Something is not right with one of your components.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Something isn't right. The GPS interface cable OVERIDES the tunes, but doesn't block them.
    Specifically, if you are listening to your tunes, and the GPS sends an audible signal through the interface cable, the tunes will shut down and you will hear the GPS instructions. Once the GPS instructions are complete, the tunes come back.
    Either your GPS is constantly sending some signal, or there is something wrong with your RTS audio system.
    This is the way my Zumo 550 works.
    Something is not right with one of your components.
    All I know is what the service manager told me and my audio system is working now. Before I couldn't even get to the CB/Icom page on the display. I never got as far as hooking a audio cable from the GPS to the harness so there were never any instructions sent from the GPS to the bike audio system. If there is something wrong there would be no way to get BRP to diagnos it if all are working properly and only stops working if you plug in the cable to use a non-BRP GPS. If I would spend the $1200 + labor to install BRP GPS and then it quit working they would have to find the problem.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

The interface you are talking about is the one that goes into the plug in the rear by the saddlebag... Right??? I was thinking of getting that as well, but now may not. I will just use the aux for my gps.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

All I know is what the service manager told me and my audio system is working now. Before I couldn't even get to the CB/Icom page on the display. I never got as far as hooking a audio cable from the GPS to the harness so there were never any instructions sent from the GPS to the bike audio system. If there is something wrong there would be no way to get BRP to diagnos it if all are working properly and only stops working if you plug in the cable to use a non-BRP GPS. If I would spend the $1200 + labor to install BRP GPS and then it quit working they would have to find the problem.
    Sounds like a faulty GPS cable to me. Probably shorted. I think your tech was describing what he found, but not the way it is supposed to work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sounds like a faulty GPS cable to me. Probably shorted. I think your tech was describing what he found, but not the way it is supposed to work.
    I didn't think of that but I have no way of testing the the cable. I'll bring it along to SITS. Maybe someone down there will be able check it. The easiest way would be swap it to another Spyder.

Good night! I've got to get off this computer.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CB

I have everything BRP but have never gotten my CB to work. Either the dealer didn't connect everything correctly or I don't know what I'm doing.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wcc002 View Post
    I have everything BRP but have never gotten my CB to work. Either the dealer didn't connect everything correctly or I don't know what I'm doing.
    It is your dealer's responsibility to make it right...or instruct you on the proper procedures.

Spyder Garage

OK I'm back from SITS early. It was to dern hot! But While at Alcoa Good Times To have the DPS upgrade done along with a couple of other things fixed I saw a new 2011 parts catalog the lists two kits for mounting a GPS. One has chrome bracket and the other has painted bracket. The kits include the cast bracket, rubber cover for GPS cradle and "GPS wiring harness". The same harness I bought. I'm confused and cornered the BRP rep that was there and asked him about it explaining the whole thing to him. He didn't have the answer but took down all the info and promised to call me this coming week. We'll see if that really happens. Right now I don't have any confidence in any of the dealers close by to know how to work on these things.
    By the way the DSP upgrade really made a lot of difference in the steering for me. Still a handful in gusting winds or around trucks on the interstate but not as darting feeling otherwise.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Same story from BRP

Well the RTS has been at the dealer since Nov 15th. They have the 3k service done and fixed all the problems except the GPS cable. BRP is still telling the mechanic that works on all the Sypders that only a BRP GPS will work on the system. Everyone knows this is BS! Now they even sell a kit in their parts catalog with a bracket and the wire harness separate from the BRP GPS. I wanted to talk with the tech that the mechanic talked to but was told that he was a "dealer only" guy. Does anyone at BRP know how this systems works that will talk to customers? I've talked to Carlo a couple of times and he assures me that they will stand behind their product but I still have only been told by the dealers what BRP is telling them "Only BRP GPS will work".
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Well, on my 11 RTS that is not the case. I have a Zumo 660 that i purchased from Getfeetwet, a mount from Kewlmetal, and the BRP harness that plugs in near the rear right saddlebag. It works perfectly. I can listen to the radiio, ipod and the gps just cuts in as it needs to. Or I can turn off the IPod and use the GPS music (have a 16gb card installed in the Zumo) and listen to that music (shows up as the aux input in the display). It all just works together and the only thing that was from BRP was the connector (harness) that they sell to plug into the system.

PS, I also use the J&M headsets and cords.

Willy
    Last edited by billythekidd; 02-03-2011 at 10:39 AM.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Well the RTS has been at the dealer since Nov 15th. They have the 3k service done and fixed all the problems except the GPS cable. BRP is still telling the mechanic that works on all the Sypders that only a BRP GPS will work on the system. Everyone knows this is BS! Now they even sell a kit in their parts catalog with a bracket and the wire harness separate from the BRP GPS. I wanted to talk with the tech that the mechanic talked to but was told that he was a "dealer only" guy. Does anyone at BRP know how this systems works that will talk to customers? I've talked to Carlo a couple of times and he assures me that they will stand behind their product but I still have only been told by the dealers what BRP is telling them "Only BRP GPS will work".
    If they want to play this game, I'd challenge them to "prove it!" Have them attach a BRP GPS. I'm betting that they will have no better luck with that version.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its very sad that this issue cannot get resolved. All those high-tech engineers over at BRP cannot figure this out. My dealer believes the installation instructions or pin connections don' match or are incorrect.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 02-03-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

From the description of the problem, it sounds like a bad GPS cable, as NancysToy suggested.
    Have they switched out the cable yet ?
    I'm running a Zumo 550 that I purchased a couple of years before I bought the Spyder.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

I had a very similar issue. I will not go into great detail... Bu the "That is not a BRP warranty item" to Garmin saying the same thing game... was tiresome... Not my problem any more. I understand after we traded in the RT the Dealer finally feels they have a resolution to the issue. Not sure what it was... but there you go...