Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cluster glich

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cluster glich

I was wondering---

I have the fender tip lights,( the turn signals are coordinatd with the fender tip lights) mud flap lights, tail light, triple play, (the mometary blinking break lights), the HID head lights and HID fog lights. I believe that is all the electrical additions I have.

After I turn my key "and read all the safety info", hit the mode switch to turn off the message, then start my spyder, [while running] my gauge cluster goes off and on and the gauges go through the check again and the safety message comes on again and I have to hit the mode switch again for it to go off.

I had this problem and bought a new spyder. Had all my lights transferred to the new spyder and it followed the spyder.

Any one heard of this .... any suggestions?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had that problem last week as I haven't driven it in over a week. I charged up the battery and I was good to go again. I have an alarm, so thats my source of draw. If not check to see that your battery connections are good and clean. If not that then also change out the middle relay.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The_Spyderwoman View Post
    I was wondering---

I have the fender tip lights,( the turn signals are coordinatd with the fender tip lights) mud flap lights, tail light, triple play, (the mometary blinking break lights), the HID head lights and HID fog lights. I believe that is all the electrical additions I have.

After I turn my key "and read all the safety info", hit the mode switch to turn off the message, then start my spyder, [while running] my gauge cluster goes off and on and the gauges go through the check again and the safety message comes on again and I have to hit the mode switch again for it to go off.

I had this problem and bought a new spyder. Had all my lights transferred to the new spyder and it followed the spyder.

It's a bad "main relay #2" in the fuse box.

It is the same and can be swapped for test purposes with the fan relay ot head light relay to check it out.

A replacement can be gotten at Auto Zone. Here is a link to an old post about replacement relays available at Auto Zone.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=spare+relay

I, as have several other people had it do this when this relay was going bad.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 09-08-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

I was wondering---

My cluster has done that for a long time now-- but it's just the safety message that comes back across after I've already started the bike..... I just hit Mode again and it's gone......

I just learned to live with it---

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

If the #2 main relay even flickers just once the messgae will come back on the screen.

When the voltage drops in the system from the starter draw, many times it's enough to make a weak relay break the circuit, even if for only a split second. Once this happens the messgaes comes back.

When you re-hit the "M" button once the engine is already running, the more stable and higher voltage now keeps this relay closed and hence the message stays off.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 09-08-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    If the #2 main relay even flickers just once the messgae will come back on the screen.

When the voltage drops in the system from the starter draw, many times it's enough to make a weak relay break the circuit, even if for only a split second. Once this happens the messgaes comes back.

When you re-hit the "M" button once the engine is already running, the more stable and higher voltage now keeps this relay closed and hence the message stays off.

MM

Good info to know!

Spyder Garage

It's quite a coincidence that it went from one spyder to another with the lights being removed from one spyder and then placed on the other.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    It's quite a coincidence that it went from one spyder to another with the lights being removed from one spyder and then placed on the other.

The only other thing that comes to mind looking at his list is there is there couls be an HID ballast sending out an RF pluse as it fires up messing with the Can-Bus system a bit.

MM

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for the feedback. This is all great information. I just got back from talking with the tech's; and they are concerned as to what this problem may be and really want to get to the bottom of it. I am the only bike that has had the HID lights put on from there. Several others have had alot or all of the led lights installed. There is no other bike with every light I have to compare this to.

It's good to know - Firefly - that long term, there is no effect.

I left my bike there tonight and they are going to disconnect the HID fog lights....I think I will give them a call in the AM and see if they can just put some stock headlights back in.

We had a lot of discussion about the ballast tonight and maybe there is a problem with it. The battery in the bike is brand new. They had tried a brand new battery with the other bike. The problem - never consistant - seemed to reoccur more frequently as the bike was started and restarted several times.

Magic Man -- is there any kind of filter or something to stop any RF pulse to the bus system?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine used to do it but only if I had my HID fog lights on at start-up. Learned to turn them off when parking and start them after the Spyder was running and it went away.

Spyder Garage

Mine has been doing this for quite a while now too. Like Firefly, I have learned to live with it. Doesn't seem to be any ill effect on the spyder or its ability to run. Just a pain to have to hit the mode button a second time but no worries. I will check that relay though and see if that helps me. Thanks for the tip Evan.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    I have learned to live with it.
    I have heard others say the same thing about all kinds of issues. Why would you (I don't mean you specifically) live with it instead of letting the dealer fix the problem? Unless it's an issue that was caused by you and it will cost to fix it. Just wondering.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

1. Make sure that the battery is fully charge.
    2. Start the Spyder with the fog lights off.
    3. Check for bent pins under the gauge cluster display.

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

You may want to replace the Tyco relays with MasterPro or BorgWarner relays.

I had a similar problem early last year but after replacing the relays... the problem was replaced with "Correct Operation" and "No Limping Home Modes".

Good luck with your trouble shooting. Ken krb1945

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have heard others say the same thing about all kinds of issues. Why would you (I don't mean you specifically) live with it instead of letting the dealer fix the problem? Unless it's an issue that was caused by you and it will cost to fix it. Just wondering.
    Because it doesn't affect the operation of the Spyder and having a service tech troubleshoot an intermittent problem would take forever. Mine only does it like once every 25 -50 starts.......ain't no big deal.

Choose your battles wisely.......

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK, just got back from 'the shop' .

They had already replaced the relay - msg still restarts
    They tried starting it with the fog lights off - msg still restarts

they are going to try a couple more things and try to isolate the cause; if it turns out to be the HID lights....I'll go with the xenon.

I hope they can find it today

Spyder Garage

OK, just got back from 'the shop' .

They had already replaced the relay - msg still restarts
    They tried starting it with the fog lights off - msg still restarts

they are going to try a couple more things and try to isolate the cause; if it turns out to be the HID lights....I'll go with the xenon.

I hope they can find it today

Um---- Xenon lights ARE HID's......

What brand unit are you running?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My spyder has been doing that same thing all along,I do have HID lights from MM but it hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it. I have 14,000 trouble free miles.
    Wayne

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Um---- Xenon lights ARE HID's......

What brand unit are you running?
    I have the H.I.D. special for moto use ---I don't see a brand name on the box.

I was going to try the xenon --advertised by Can Am lights.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bet you anything when they unplug the HID ballast the problem goes away. I'm still trying to find a work around on mine, getting very close.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WrapFactory View Post
    I bet you anything when they unplug the HID ballast the problem goes away. I'm still trying to find a work around on mine, getting very close.

Let us know what you end up doing in the end.

Spyder Garage

I have the H.I.D. special for moto use ---I don't see a brand name on the box.

I was going to try the xenon --advertised by Can Am lights.
    I've had the ESI HID's since day one and have not had a problem. Why not go with what you know that works?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've had the ESI HID's since day one and have not had a problem. Why not go with what you know that works?
    Mine were great on the RS once I put these on.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Well, I didn't know that there was any problem with any of them. Also, they were a gift - so I did not choose them.

With all of these comments; I realize that there is a difference.

So, I will definately try to get the ESI or what is best.

Has there been a problem with the ones CAN AM advertise? The xenon-HID?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Not really. Havent seen any posts on them. The real question is what makes Can-am think thier lights are worth SO MUCH.
    Here is a set on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAN-A...ssoriesQ5fGear