Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder J& M Audio System

I'm looking at getting the JMCB-2003 audio System is designed for the sypder. It has a CB radio on it and I was wondering if anyone else is using it or what is being used for bike to bike communication and rider to rider communication?

Spyder Garage

The JMCB unit for the Spyder is a good unit. J&M has years of experience with m/c communications. Their headsets are top-of-the-line. The intercom circuit in the JMCB works very well.

However, we decided against it as we already have GMRS radios (one installed with our other bike) that will not work with the JMCB. We could not find a CB that would work with our other bike. We installed an Autocom unit in the Spyder. It is the intercom as well as the connection to the 2-ways for bike-to-bike. Works very well.
    Last edited by jnt; 08-07-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

The J&M gear is good stuff. Really well designed, easy to use and reliable. They used to be the only quality radio gear around in the M/C market. But they've got a lot of good competition these days.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Erags View Post
    I'm looking at getting the JMCB-2003 audio System is designed for the sypder. It has a CB radio on it and I was wondering if anyone else is using it or what is being used for bike to bike communication and rider to rider communication?
    The audio system is top notch but the CB has a lot to be desired, it's not very useful at 60 mph and the range is very short. Too expensive for the CB being poor. I have it matched correctly and it just doesn't perform well. I think it's the noisy platform (wind and motor noise).

For the bike to bike/ driver to passenger stuff get a Bluetooth system with J&M headsets.
    Premeir Edition #59

SoCal

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The audio system is top notch but the CB has a lot to be desired, it's not very useful at 60 mph and the range is very short. Too expensive for the CB being poor. I have it matched correctly and it just doesn't perform well. I think it's the noisy platform (wind and motor noise).

For the bike to bike/ driver to passenger stuff get a Bluetooth system with J&M headsets.
    The CB Band width is very sensitive to antenna size, design, location and ground plane (what it is mounted to). It also has to be tuned for Standing Wave Ratio, which is just a fancy term for signal efficiency.

Like running a 100 hp into a bicycle drive tire. You aren't going to get anywhere.

Some people rave about the J&B CB, others hate it. It's usually not the radio, it's usuall the install.

The frequency range used in Blue Tooth systems is much less temperental and will give a more uniform performance (same systems being compared)

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I'm...like soooo confussed....what to buy...I want a CB, bike-to-bike... iPod connection...GPS...radio would be a plus...weather band ??????
    I travel with my husband, he rides a harley and now I'm on a Spyder. we need communication when we travel in big towns or something happens and the leader driver doesn't see.

This Blue tooth...I wish someone would explain the differences between Blue Tooth and the... for a better way of wording...the old fashion stuff that has been used for years.

HELP!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The CB Band width is very sensitive to antenna size, design, location and ground plane (what it is mounted to). It also has to be tuned for Standing Wave Ratio, which is just a fancy term for signal efficiency.

Like running a 100 hp into a bicycle drive tire. You aren't going to get anywhere.

Some people rave about the J&B CB, others hate it. It's usually not the radio, it's usuall the install.

The frequency range used in Blue Tooth systems is much less temperental and will give a more uniform performance (same systems being compared)
    Everything you say is true. I've been an RF engineer for 30+ years. That said, after I matched my systems and getting poor results I had a 3rd party check it and they said it was matched about as good as you can get without changing anything. So I went with a Firestick NGP antenna because of the poor ground plane any motorcycle will have. It has been preloaded at the base to help overcome the lack of ground plane. There was an overall improvement but still not the desired results.

I could go with a longer base loaded antenna but at that point it will just start getting in the way and increase the risk of getting accidently broken.

Again J&M products are great but with the CB and the Spyder combo doesn't really cut it. I can see it working well on a Gold Wing but not a GS.
    Premeir Edition #59

SoCal

Spyder Garage

Everything you say is true. I've been an RF engineer for 30+ years. That said, after I matched my systems and getting poor results I had a 3rd party check it and they said it was matched about as good as you can get without changing anything. So I went with a Firestick NGP antenna because of the poor ground plane any motorcycle will have. It has been preloaded at the base to help overcome the lack of ground plane. There was an overall improvement but still not the desired results.

I could go with a longer base loaded antenna but at that point it will just start getting in the way and increase the risk of getting accidently broken.

Again J&M products are great but with the CB and the Spyder combo doesn't really cut it. I can see it working well on a Gold Wing but not a GS.
    Good point. As there is more plastic and less steel the CB is less and less effective.

I was going to give the Collett radios a try. They are great, made in Canada for snowmobiles but work just as well with M/C's. They run at 900 mhz and claim a 2 mile range. Full duplexing with unlimited partners too.

Spyder Garage

+1 We've had two different J&M systems (one CB and one IntegratR) for our Spyders and the IntegratR with an FRS radio had comparable range, which wasn't very good. We decided that we really didn't talk with each other all that much while riding and sold them both. The headsets were extremely nice.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Got the JM set up and intercom and Ipod hook up are great! The CB sucks big time as do the cords ! I have replace 1 helmet cord and 2 lower cords in 14 months at 30 bucks a pop . Sure it's under warranty but ship it back on your own dime and wait for them to determine it is bad and ship you another one takes way to long . My Scala Rider does the same thing at a fraction of the cost but you have to remember to recharge it !
    I run with the Red Knights and they use CBs ,my range at best was maybe 200 feet the others on Wings and Harleys was at least a quarter mile !
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Got the JM set up and intercom and Ipod hook up are great! The CB sucks big time as do the cords ! I have replace 1 helmet cord and 2 lower cords in 14 months at 30 bucks a pop . Sure it's under warranty but ship it back on your own dime and wait for them to determine it is bad and ship you another one takes way to long . My Scala Rider does the same thing at a fraction of the cost but you have to remember to recharge it !
    I run with the Red Knights and they use CBs ,my range at best was maybe 200 feet the others on Wings and Harleys was at least a quarter mile !

Oh yea, I forgot that part about the lower cords wearing out too fast...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Your Scala Riders get you only 200 feet? Which version do you have?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Oh yea, I forgot that part about the lower cords wearing out too fast...
    They have a 2 year warranty, so why are you paying for them? I have sent mine back and they sent a replacement the same day they rec'd it.

Great customer service!!!
    Premeir Edition #59

SoCal

Spyder Garage

They have a 2 year warranty, so why are you paying for them? I have sent mine back and they sent a replacement the same day they rec'd it.

Great customer service!!!

I'm not paying for anything any more. We sold our J&M equipment last year.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Personally, we bought two units. And had a hard time with them in the beginning. We found the problem being the antenna too short. Went with two foot antennas and haven't looked back.

2faston3