Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking Curves

RT-S PE#0311
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    How smooth you execute a turn on the Spyder makes a lot of difference. Getting your butt, shoulders and head to the inside of the turn will also change/lower the center of gravity which helps.

And of course setting up the turn correctly can get you through several MPH faster. Start near the outside edge of the road, apex to the centerline and finish near the ouside edge of the road. All of these will work well for any vehicle as it's pretty much a boilerplate approach to turns.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default yes indeed

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnCat View Post
    You need to pick the right day and right place to play with the sport crowd; a rainy day and a tight canyon! We took our first rain ride yesterday and I found the RT-S was a lot of fun on the tight canyon road (Hwy 199 from Cave Jucntion, OR to the coast) down through the Redwoods. . . . and we were clipping along at a better pace than our usual 2 wheeler. .. .
    Dead nuts on! The sport bikes can't handle what I can n the rain or water on the roads they get very nervous (justifiably so!). But in dry conditions my buds wait for me since they can carve those turns.

RT-S PE#0311
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykjimmy View Post
    Dead nuts on! The sport bikes can't handle what I can n the rain or water on the roads they get very nervous (justifiably so!). But in dry conditions my buds wait for me since they can carve those turns.
    A comfort zone and personal familiarity with how your Spyder handles curves, acceleration, braking, reverse, rain, wind and how it handles each of these maneuvers on a flat stretch of road or hills and whether the roads are gravel, concrete, black top and even sand takes practice, practice, practice. When we find areas like these, we need to ride them often and under as many different conditions as possible and need to know it's limits and respect them! If not, Angel's are made that way.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to Spyder riding! It took me a while to get comfortable with curves, now I love them! I did put Ken's swaybar on and it has made a wonderful difference. Now the Spyder is much more flat and stable in curves. I also lean into the curve and that makes all the difference, since the bike is trying to throw me to the outside. By leaning into the curve, I am solid on the bike and the curve is smooth. Just practice and you'll be surprised how much fun it gets to be.

RT-S PE#0311
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingHeart View Post
    Welcome to Spyder riding! It took me a while to get comfortable with curves, now I love them! I did put Ken's swaybar on and it has made a wonderful difference. Now the Spyder is much more flat and stable in curves. I also lean into the curve and that makes all the difference, since the bike is trying to throw me to the outside. By leaning into the curve, I am solid on the bike and the curve is smooth. Just practice and you'll be surprised how much fun it gets to be.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When I was pushing my Spyder at The Dragon, I had a sport bike catch up to me and I waved him around. Later on at the resort he came over to talk to me. He said he was actually impressed by how well the Spyder was carving those corners, and added that I was setting a good pace. When I told him I didn't know how that could be since he caught up to me, he just smiled and said "Relax, I'm a local". That was the most fun I have had on a machine in many years, and I can't wait to go back to ryde it and many of the other roads again.

Find some good twisty roads that don't have a lot of traffic on them, and practice, practice, practice. Then, when you think you have it licked practice some more.