Spyder Garage

Default Seat Wear showing! Any comments about Seat Replacement and expected life?

I noticed the left side of my seat (2017 F3-L) is starting to crack and rip on the edge. I keep my spyder covered overnight and during the winter. Is this normal wear to expect? I know there are seat discussions often here, and if I need to replace, I would like something that is close to plug and play - oh... and comfy.

Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2017 F3-Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I noticed the left side of my seat (2017 F3-L) is starting to crack and rip on the edge. I keep my spyder covered overnight and during the winter. Is this normal wear to expect? I know there are seat discussions often here, and if I need to replace, I would like something that is close to plug and play - oh... and comfy.

Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back over a decade ago, I bought a replacement seat cover for an '08 GS seat - didn't get to use it ..... I have a 14 RT with over 81000 mi. and there is some slight cracking in the same area as yours. However, the NYLON mesh (which is almost unbreakable) that the seat plastic is attached to is fine. I don't know if a cover is available for your seat or not. I have a spare seat and don't plan to use it. However, shipping a seat today would prohibitively expensive. I would put a WTB on the forum and see if anyone near you has one to sell .... Mike

Ps: The reason I mention how strong that mesh is, is because years ago when someone here tried putting a gas door on their RT seat, they discovered that even a very sharp drill bit would get the mesh entangled on the bit and pull the mesh loose from the plastic seat material. I solved that by using a very hot nail to start the hole and melt the nylon mesh before using a drill ..... Good Luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-23-2024 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike for the response!
    Jim
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

I wonder if using a leather conditioner regularly (even though it's not leather) would keep the seat more pliable and prevent the cracking and wear.
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Slingmods USB and QuadLock phone mount with vibration dampener
    Highway pegs
    Rear GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45 SL 225/60R-15 tire
    Drink2Go front/rear Cupholders
    3D printed Turn Signal/Shifter caps
    KOTT Grill covers
    LED Headlights + LED Foglights
    High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    Pedal Box+ w/BT
    Show Chrome gas shock for rear trunk
    Foam Grips
    Red Rim Covers
    VIOFO MT1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system

Spyder Garage

Since the leather conditioner can't soak into the pleather of the seat I don't think it will do any good.

Google seems to think the major car cleaning companies, like Meguiar's, Mothers, Armor All, etc, make vinyl cleaners and conditioners.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin