Spyder Garage

Default Brand new F3 - Cruise Control and Sport Mode not working.

I brought our brand new 2023 F3 Ltd SS home on Wednesday and yesterday we got to take a good 4-hour ride. We both love this bike!

Now the bad. No Sport Mode and no Cruise Control.

The Mode button will toggle between ECO and Standard (nothing in the display for the Standard mode per the owner's manual) and I can definitely feel the difference between the two modes but nothing that I do will put it into Sport Mode, nothing. The owner's manual says that this bike does have Sport Mode (and everything else that I've read indicates that this bike does have Sport Mode), so what's the problem? On my way back from the dealership, when bringing the bike home, riding solo, I also tried to engage Sport Mode, no dice.

Perhaps related, perhaps not...

No Cruise Control.

Sliding the CC button to the right, thus turning it on, does nothing. No indication on the display, no nothing. With the button in the ON position, pressing the control up/down/back and forth does nothing and, again, there's no indicator on the dash at all, nothing.

I tried all of the above with bike parked key on, then running, and then again out on the road, same result.

I did a search and came up with a couple of things.

First of all, it seems that there's some disagreement/confusion as to whether or not the 2023 F3 Ltd SS had Sport Mode at all. The manual says yes and BRP says yes in all the documentation that I've seen.

Then there's talk of the pressure switch under the passenger seat, the switch with the BIG button. Not a lot of agreement as to what exactly this switch does it seems. I removed the passenger seat and tried pressing the big button while I was messing with the Mode and the Cruise buttons. No change.

Someone even mentioned that the big switch may have something to do with the Cruise Control. Hmmm.

Perhaps these two have a common fuse? With the bike having throttle by wire does the CC even have a fuse? I see mention of a 'load sharing' fuse/relay. I haven't dove into the checking of fuses yet but on a brand-new bike, there shouldn't be any issues like this. Yes, I know, shouldn't being the operative word here.

Advice? Suggestions?

I'd like to be able to take care of this myself rather than take it back to the dealership. Yes, it's under warranty but that's the way I am. If I can do it myself, I will.
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series.
    2023 F3 Ltd SS , Mineral Blue / Carbon Black

Spyder Garage

1.) No sport mode on the F3 LTD
    2.) Slide cruise button to the left, THEN push cruise button DOWN to set. UP to resume.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    2.) Slide cruise button to the left, THEN push cruise button DOWN to set. UP to resume.
    You're 100% positive that my bike doesn't have Sport Mode? As I've said, everything that I've read indicates that it does.

According to the manual, sliding the CC control all the way to the left turns it off. Sliding it to the right turns it on and when it's in that position ON is now visible to the left of the sliding control. When the slider is to the left, the control can't be pushed up or down, only when it's to the right can it be toggled up or down.

In eighter position, the CC indicator on the dash is absent.

Setting the Cruise Control

To use the cruise control, the vehicle speed must be above approximately 40 km/h (25 MPH).

Turn the cruise control to ON by sliding the cruise control button to the right.

NOTE:

The cruise control icon will light in gray in the digital display.

Stopping the Cruise Control

To completely stop the cruise control operation, slide the cruise control button to the left.
    Last edited by Albec; 05-18-2024 at 09:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Albec View Post
    You're 100% positive that my bike doesn't have Sport Mode? As I've said, everything that I've read indicates that it does.

According to the manual, sliding the CC control all the way to the left turns it off. Sliding it to the right turns it on and when it's in that position ON is now visible to the left of the sliding control. When the slider is to the left, the control can't be pushed up or down, only when it's to the right can it be toggled up or down.

In eighter position, the CC indicator on the dash is absent.
    Duh .. slide button to right (left side of switch shows on. While driving, push button down to set. Push up to resume. 100% on no sport mode. Only the current F3S models have that.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Duh .. slide button to right (left side of switch shows on. While driving, push button down to set. Push up to resume. 100% on no sport mode. Only the current F3S models have that.
    See, told ya?

Anyways, it's not working no matter the position of the CC switch. Now what? Back to the dealership?

No Sport Mode? That sucks. Who writes these BRP owner's manuals anyways? Are they written in French and then badly translated into English? The owner's manual from my Kawasaki is something like that too. Translated from Japanese to English, badly.

Spyder Garage

See, told ya?

Anyways, it's not working no matter the position of the CC switch. Now what? Back to the dealership?

No Sport Mode? That sucks. Who writes these BRP owner's manuals anyways? Are they written in French and then badly translated into English? The owner's manual from my Kawasaki is something like that too. Translated from Japanese to English, badly.
    RE: Manuals...BRP has had issues with manuals since day one. They do a lot of copy/paste from old manuals to probably save time. It is unfortunate that the "marketing" dept. is probably involved with the new manuals and not the "engineering" department. In my 16 years with the product, I have NEVER seen a retraction of something in error printed in a manual. A site like SL has many people who are familiar with these "glitches," usually through experience with the problem. Sometimes, the information one gets is not always favorable, but it is right on. Bad information given usually gets jumped on quickly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Did you happen to take note of what Speed AND Gear were you at/in when trying to Set the Cruise Control??

I ask, because as noted in an earlier post, there is a Minimum Speed below which the Cruise Control won't Set, but the Manual doesn't include anything about the Minimum Revs the engine needs to be doing at a given road speed in a particular gear before the computers will let you set Cruise Control - probably because the various revs/speed/gear combinations aren't 'set & specific', but instead can vary depending upon a number of things that will change just about every time you ride... But still, if you don't have enough in the way of engine revs on board for the (relatively low) speed & given (saaay, higher than 2nd) gear you're riding at/in, the Cruise Control just won't set!!

Yeah, I know that the 1330 motor has torque right off the bat and all the way up the whazoo; and that the SE's won't let you lug the engine in any given gear. But the thing is, the computers overseeing everything to do with the Cruise Control seem to be juuust a little more critical about speed/revs/gear selections than the engine/trans control units are!! So, if you're tooling along in, saaay, 4th or even 5th gear and just gently riding along easily at the 'local suburban street' speed limit and your Cruise Control won't set, there's a pretty good chance that it will set IF you change down a gear or three!!

I can't remember specifically what the revs/speed/gear settings are atm, it's been almost 2 weeks since I last rode a 1330 & got sprung by not being able to set the Cruise Control simply cos I was running revs that were too low and a gear that was too high for the given speed (suburban speed limit), but IIRC, it's usually something like anything below 35 mph &/or 3rd gear or higher, and the Cruise Control won't set!! And I NEVER even TRY to set Cruise Control in 6th gear until I'm up to Freeway Speed (or possibly, maybe even juuuust a little higher?! ) Every bloody time I ride a 1330 it gets me at least once - sure, the engine/trans feels like it'll easily do it, and I rarely forget on any V-twin powered Spyder, but ride a 1330 - it gets me every bloody time!!

So, did you happen to take note of what Speed AND Gear were you at/in when trying to Set the Cruise Control?? Any chance you'd just run up thru the gears a bit more'n you really should've while you were still just poking along slowly without a handful of revs??

Just Askin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 08:14 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I just subscribed to this thread, as my 2024 Spyder still has less than 200 miles on it, and the Operators Guide section on Operation During Break-in that during the first 1,000 km (600 mi):

- avoid full throttle acceleration
    - avoid prolonged riding maintaining constant RPM
    - and a warning about the cooling fans being on constantly during stop-and-go traffic

That second point would seem to exclude the use of the Cruise Control.

So I'll come back and read through the information again once I'm out of the break-in period.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

troop,

I have the same Spyder as Albec, and I found the following in the Operators Guide:

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...O23-EN-WEB.pdf

Sport Mode Display,

When a mode is selected, a message is displayed in the lower display. At the same time, one or more icons will turn on to confirm your choice.

This coming Tuesday I am going to the dealership, and I'll ask the salesperson.

I'll let everyone know what I find out. Stay Tuned!

Hi Pete,

I found the following in the operators guide about the Cruise Control:

Setting the Cruise Control: To use the cruise control, the vehicle speed must be above 40km/h (25 mph).

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 09:22 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

See, told ya?

Good Evening Albec,

I answered your PM.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    troop,

I have the same Spyder as Albec, and I found the following in the Operators Guide:

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...O23-EN-WEB.pdf

Sport Mode Display,

When a mode is selected, a message is displayed in the lower display. At the same time, one or more icons will turn on to confirm your choice.

This coming Tuesday I am going to the dealership, and I'll ask the salesperson.

I'll let everyone know what I find out. Stay Tuned!

Hi Pete,

I found the following in the operators guide about the Cruise Control:

Setting the Cruise Control: To use the cruise control, the vehicle speed must be above 40km/h (25 mph).

Deanna
    Thanks Deanna, good info! I think all Spyders with Cruise Control have that 40 km/h Minimum Speed limit.

However, the link you added didn't work for me, because the link you've included is a link to the RESULTS of a search inquiry that you entered, me clicking on that link only shows me an error message, and probably will also show a similar error to anyone else clicking on it too - we just don't have the specific details you entered in your search inquiry, so while it might show exactly the right info to you, the 'results page' that prints up for us when we click on the link is a failed search inquiry!

If you want to link to any search results, it's best to either link to a screen dump of the particular results; or better yet, link or direct us to the Search page and tell us what criteria you entered to get the results showing us whatever it is that you want to highlight. Make sense?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 09:23 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are having a hard time with the owners manual just wait until you take a look at the service manual.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

No sport mode on F3L is correct. Owner's manuals are generally generic for all bike model lines and have a disclaimer in front stating something along the lines of not all features available on all models. Car manufacturers often do same thing.
    James C
    2022 F3 Limited Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Did you happen to take note of what Speed AND Gear were you at/in when trying to Set the Cruise Control??

I ask, because as noted in an earlier post, there is a Minimum Speed below which the Cruise Control won't Set, but the Manual doesn't include anything about the Minimum Revs the engine needs to be doing at a given road speed in a particular gear before the computers will let you set Cruise Control - probably because the various revs/speed/gear combinations aren't 'set & specific', but instead can vary depending upon a number of things that will change just about every time you ride... But still, if you don't have enough in the way of engine revs on board for the (relatively low) speed & given (saaay, higher than 2nd) gear you're riding at/in, the Cruise Control just won't set!!

Yeah, I know that the 1330 motor has torque right off the bat and all the way up the whazoo; and that the SE's won't let you lug the engine in any given gear. But the thing is, the computers overseeing everything to do with the Cruise Control seem to be juuust a little more critical about speed/revs/gear selections than the engine/trans control units are!! So, if you're tooling along in, saaay, 4th or even 5th gear and just gently riding along easily at the 'local suburban street' speed limit and your Cruise Control won't set, there's a pretty good chance that it will set IF you change down a gear or three!!

I can't remember specifically what the revs/speed/gear settings are atm, it's been almost 2 weeks since I last rode a 1330 & got sprung by not being able to set the Cruise Control simply cos I was running revs that were too low and a gear that was too high for the given speed (suburban speed limit), but IIRC, it's usually something like anything below 35 mph &/or 3rd gear or higher, and the Cruise Control won't set!! And I NEVER even TRY to set Cruise Control in 6th gear until I'm up to Freeway Speed (or possibly, maybe even juuuust a little higher?! ) Every bloody time I ride a 1330 it gets me at least once - sure, the engine/trans feels like it'll easily do it, and I rarely forget on any V-twin powered Spyder, but ride a 1330 - it gets me every bloody time!!

So, did you happen to take note of what Speed AND Gear were you at/in when trying to Set the Cruise Control?? Any chance you'd just run up thru the gears a bit more'n you really should've while you were still just poking along slowly without a handful of revs??

Just Askin'
    Thanks for the reply, Peter.

Before ANY of what you posted happens or doesn't happen, from my understanding, there should be some sort of indicator on the dashboard when the CC is powered up, correct? Just sitting on the F3, motor idling in the driveway, and I slide the CC control to the right, I should see an indicator on the dashboard, right? I don't. Nothing.

When sliding the control, it feels a little 'crunchy', maybe I have a bad switch?

In regard to the remainder of your post. I didn't make a note of the speed or what gear I was in at the time I tried to use the CC. I tried it multiple times and under different conditions. Nothing works. I know about the min speed requirement, and I was moving at around 65 mph at the time, sometime more sometime less. Nothing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    I just subscribed to this thread, as my 2024 Spyder still has less than 200 miles on it, and the Operators Guide section on Operation During Break-in that during the first 1,000 km (600 mi):

- and a warning about the cooling fans being on constantly during stop-and-go traffic

So I'll come back and read through the information again once I'm out of the break-in period.
    Thanks, I'm aware of the suggestion concerning the CC and it makes perfect sense. I was testing the CC out, just to make sure that it works. I wasn't planning on using it for long, just a short time to put it through its paces and test it. Just as I have on all the other systems on the F3.

You may want to do the same...

Spyder Garage

According to the Operator's Guide, when you activate the Cruise Control there is supposed to be a cruise control status icon that appears on the display.

And according to Page 27 of my Operators Guide, the icon on the display is the same shape as the graphic on the button that activates the cruise control.

On Page 28 of my Operators Guide it says the cruise control status will light in gray in the digital display when activated.

Also on page 28 it says after activating Cruise Control when you press the Set toggle button down to set the speed, the status light turns green on the display.

Yes, now I want to take a ride.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Okay, no ride, but I did go out and turn the key on, then pushed the cruise activation button.
    I was expecting to see something along the bottom of the display, but eventually found it above the zero on the speedometer.

cruiseicon.jpg
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Okay, no ride, but I did go out and turn the key on, then pushed the cruise activation button.
    I was expecting to see something along the bottom of the display, but eventually found it above the zero on the speedometer.

cruiseicon.jpg
    Yes! that is what to look for.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Thanks Deanna, good info! I think all Spyders with Cruise Control have that 40 km/h Minimum Speed limit.

However, the link you added didn't work for me, because the link you've included is a link to the RESULTS of a search inquiry that you entered, me clicking on that link only shows me an error message, and probably will also show a similar error to anyone else clicking on it too - we just don't have the specific details you entered in your search inquiry, so while it might show exactly the right info to you, the 'results page' that prints up for us when we click on the link is a failed search inquiry!

If you want to link to any search results, it's best to either link to a screen dump of the particular results; or better yet, link or direct us to the Search page and tell us what criteria you entered to get the results showing us whatever it is that you want to highlight. Make sense?
    HI Pete,

You are Welcome!

Thanks for letting me know about the link that I posted. I'll send you a PM with a link.

Everyone can take a look at the BRP Operator's Guide for a 2023 F3 for more info.

I googled the following:

1. https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/
    2. https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...hp?productId=5
    3. https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...p?folderId=931
    4. https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...p?modelId=2082
    5. https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...O23-EN-WEB.pdf

I hope the above links work.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-19-2024 at 06:07 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Hi Deanna, I responded to your PM, explaining why links to actual pages work, but links to Search Results won't - which is basically why your links 1 thru 4 above WILL & DO work, but link 5 DOESN'T!!

But as I outlined in that PM, anyone who wants to see the Spyder F3 Operator's Guide can start at your link 1 above, then step thru links 2, 3, & 4 (or go directly to link 4 ); but will then themselves need to select the appropriate PDF to whatever language they prefer. Or if they want some other year/model Operator's Guide, they can start at link 1 and then step thru the appropriate choices for whatever year/model it is that they are looking for, until they come to that final 'PDF in which Language' choice.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

cruiseicon.jpg

NOW we're getting somewhere! Thanks for this Racoon.

No matter what I do, no matter under what conditions I try it, I do not get the CC icon in my dash display.

Great! The last thing that I want to do is to take my new F3 back to the dealership...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    If you are having a hard time with the owners manual just wait until you take a look at the service manual.
    So TRUE!
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love these "suggested" methods for breaking them in. When I took delivery of my new 2014 RT, I did a day trip to the mountains on my second day. It was a 500 mile day, using cruise control at a steady speed for 3 hours until we got to the mountains. Then there was a lot of hard riding with wide open throttle and hard braking on side roads and along the BRP. We even did the Diamondback Loop (226A). At the end of the day, we had a great time. Kept the bike for 24k miles and it was the first of my 6 spyders and I will have to day, the most trouble free one.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I love these "suggested" methods for breaking them in.
    There are those who follow the manufacturer recommendations.

And there are those who follow the "drive it like you stole it" recommendations.

Since my Spyder is still under warranty, I'll be following the Can-Am recommendations.
    JM2C
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Even the older F3-S that had a Sport Mode could not be put in Sport Mode with a passenger on the seat or if you had weight strapped down on the seat. There was a pressure switch that blocked Sport Mode if there was weight on the Pax Seat.

I am not familiar with the newer models. Don't know if they have Sport Mode or not, but even if they had it, you were not allowed to use it with weight on the pax seat.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 05-20-2024 at 09:15 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver