Spyder Garage

Question 2020 RTL How are the wheels balanced?

I just noticed the slightest vibration on the right side floorboard. Nothing strange on the handlebars and bike steering tracking seems dead on

Bike has 1900 miles on it. Question is how are the wheels balanced from the factory?

Do.they use wheel.weights on the inside of the rim? If so it looks like it may be missing .

I have to get someone with better vision to look

If indeed a weight is missing would.the warranty cover it?

Btw I just had the dealer install a la monster
    belt damper, could that be causing it. I did not notice this until after it was instslled.
    Again this is.a very slight vibration, at first though it was the road, but tried different and same things
    TIA
    Last edited by Escorial; 07-21-2023 at 02:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Mine has glue-on weights inside the rim.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

A wheel MAY be out of balance but it's also possible, if you have oem Kenda tires, that the tire is out of round. You can balance yourself with a static balancer or find an auto shop that can fit the hub center and get a dynamic balance.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Wheels are dynamically balanced at the factory with double sided stick on weights near the center of the rear wheel and on the inside surface of the front wheels. They are not always balanced that well. And as previously mentioned. Out of round tires are impossible to balance.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If you are getting it in the floorboard, I would be looking at the rear wheel/drivetrain area. Generally, if its the front wheels you would feel it in the handlebars.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by USAF View Post
    If you are getting it in the floorboard, I would be looking at the rear wheel/drivetrain area. Generally, if its the front wheels you would feel it in the handlebars.
    USAF beat me to the possible cause ..... I don't think it's front wheel balance. ..... and IMHO if the rear tire is an auto tire it generally doesn't need balancing ..... If however you still have OEM Crapenda's nothing is too wierd for those ......Mike

Spyder Garage

BRP balances wheels?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    BRP balances wheels?
    they might be statically balanced....but that usually isnt great. Dynamic spin balance is way better
    2024 RT Sea to Sky screen now working but codes will remain until BRP releases the ACP update.
    2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green (guess what? NO errors at all in 9 months of owning!) Such a sweet S2S :-)

Spyder Garage

No Kenda, I really suspect that one of the balance weights fell off. I'm taking the bike in for its first service soon and will have them check.

If that is the issue hopefully the extended warranty will cover it

I really only feel it in the right floorboard and like I mentioned it's hardly noticeable and did not start till they installed the belt damper.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-22-2023 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Kendra...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Escorial View Post

I really only feel it in the right floorboard and like I mentioned it's hardly noticeable and did not start till they installed the belt damper.
    You could try simply tie-ing the belt dampener up off the belt before taking it for a ride and seeing if the vibration is still there....

If it's not, then I'd be more concerned about that belt dampener & its potential failure taking out the belt than I would be about tire balancing!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well stuck my camera inside of the wheel and all weights are in place. Like I mentioned the dealer installed the la monster damper. I'm going to give them a call and see what that have to say.

Like mentioned the bike is just going on 2,000 miles so it's going in soon for its first service. Due to health / age I'm not really up to removing all the Tupperware to try and tie off the damper especially with the first service coming up. Could I get at it from underneath w/o removing everything and just zip tie it off?

Let me ask you all this, if the belt was loose to start with could the installation of the damper cause it to be more noticeable? It's a very minor vibration on the right foot board, I thought it was the road but after trying divergent roads it's still there.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-23-2023 at 04:52 PM. Reason: 's; ' 's; though; after after... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I WON'T put one of those on my Spyder, I reduced the drive belt tension to 160 lbs (measured with the tire on the ground) .... the vibes went away ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-23-2023 at 04:51 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)