Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tail Light Removal

Has anyone removed the tail lights that had the BRP sport rack and the GIVI/BRP bags installed. I'm looking for a easier way than what it appears to involve. (remove sport rack, remove BRP bag rack, remove signal lights, remove rear upper panels, remove tail cover). If anyone knows a short cut or better way I would appreciate hearing from you.
    Last edited by BLACK WIDOW; 10-05-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Not that it helps you right now but someone posted about a month ago about removing the taillight lenses and cutting out a notch in an apparently unnecessary piece of the back plastic so he could access the bulb holder without having to remove the lens anymore. I plan on looking into it when I have to change out either of the bulbs. Could be anytime now as I have over 1.5 years and 24,000 miles on the original bulbs.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Not that it helps you right now but someone posted about a month ago about removing the taillight lenses and cutting out a notch in an apparently unnecessary piece of the back plastic so he could access the bulb holder without having to remove the lens anymore. I plan on looking into it when I have to change out either of the bulbs. Could be anytime now as I have over 1.5 years and 24,000 miles on the original bulbs.

I believe the same person only used 1 of the 2 screws for each lens.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I believe the same person only used 1 of the 2 screws for each lens.
    Nope, I'm that person and both screws are in place on either lens. It's still easy to get at the sockets through the back, but I don't have the sport rack, so I don't know if it makes a difference.I do have Givi side bags with an Ind 7 rack and none of that is removed when changing bulbs, which takes me 7 1/2 minutes start to finish, using only 2 screwdrivers. To be fair, I do use Dzus fasteners in the rear wheel splash panel. I posted this mod a while back entitled " Brake bulb win"
    Last edited by Neez; 10-06-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

can i get an update on this please...

has an easier way been found to remove the tail lights ?

anyone have any how to do tips, this does not look like a fun to do job

thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    Nope, I'm that person and both screws are in place on either lens. It's still easy to get at the sockets through the back, but I don't have the sport rack, so I don't know if it makes a difference.I do have Givi side bags with an Ind 7 rack and none of that is removed when changing bulbs, which takes me 7 1/2 minutes start to finish, using only 2 screwdrivers. To be fair, I do use Dzus fasteners in the rear wheel splash panel. I posted this mod a while back entitled " Brake bulb win"
    Where did you obtain those Dzus fasteners and what size, thanks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Maybe...

If my memory serves me correctly, you might want to give this a try -
    working from the rear just above the fender, instead of removing all 7 screws and then removing the tail pan (plastic pan under the seat), remove the 5 screws closest to the rear and then pull down the rear of the pan and tuck it under the rear fender. It will hold there and should give you plenty of room to get at the tail lights. Reinstall the 5 screws and you're done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tail Lights

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post

thanks
    Sorry, but I didn't find a quick way when I installed my LED tail lights. I did however not have a lot of trouble with the installation. You will have to remove the tail cover and loosen the Sport rack (if you have one). You can reach the back screw on the tail light from underneath the bike if you have a long extension without removing the rear side panels. You will have to remove the bags but don't need to remove the bag racks. It can be done without to much trouble.

Michael

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    The best deal I found was at KurveyGirl.com. You need the 14mm size for plastic. They are soooo much better than having to remove all those screws!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Just install L.E.D.s ones for all: neither replacement bulbs nor limp mode...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thanks
    Fred, check out Sarge707's post of the 18 th of this month, in the Spyder shop talk forum, entitled " Brighter running/ brake light". There are some replacement tips in there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Camp, it's as Some guy says, 14mm at KurveyGirl. com. But, be aware, the thickness of the splashpan is slightly greater than that of the normal plastic panels, so you'll need to do a bit of adjusting. Squeeze the nut part a bit closer using vice grips, but do it gradually. For the 7th, or rearmost screw, it may be better to forget the Dzus, slot the plastic and just back the torx a couple of turns, then slide the pan forward and remove it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

thanks
    I just did this and it isn't nearly as awful as it seemed. If you remove the 7 torx screws (t8?) from under the seat pan (above the wheel) then you'll find that the entire experience isn't bad at all. I didn't follow the wire routing guide completely as it is a bit convoluted. This is one of those "just do it" tasks. You'll find it pretty simple in the end. Be sure you understand how the lens holds the lamp assembly together and you'll be fine.

Brian

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    Camp, it's as Some guy says, 14mm at KurveyGirl. com. But, be aware, the thickness of the splashpan is slightly greater than that of the normal plastic panels, so you'll need to do a bit of adjusting. Squeeze the nut part a bit closer using vice grips, but do it gradually. For the 7th, or rearmost screw, it may be better to forget the Dzus, slot the plastic and just back the torx a couple of turns, then slide the pan forward and remove it.
    The best deal I found was at KurveyGirl.com. You need the 14mm size for plastic. They are soooo much better than having to remove all those screws! Thanks guys!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

got the back end of the Spyder in pieces... still can't see a way to remove the 2nd tail light bolt (the one that is between the top of the sport rack and the sport rack support beam that extends the tail ) looks like i need to remove the rack completely and remove the tail extension ? am i right ?ideas ?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

got the back end of the Spyder in pieces... still can't see a way to remove the 2nd tail light bolt (the one that is between the top of the sport rack and the sport rack support beam that extends the tail ) looks like i need to remove the rack completely and remove the tail extension ? am i right ?ideas ?
    Yes, the support for the sport rack covers those bolts. It has to come out.
    Last edited by SpyderByter; 02-17-2010 at 09:54 PM.