Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Aw Brucie You're a card........ a joker. Actually it is so dry here in the west it doesn't get wet very often.
    All joking aside, after 6 1/2 years without the Baja Bar, I couldn’t believe the difference. Now my Spyder feels PLANTED on the roadway, and as you say, the price of the SwayBar compared to the price of the Spyder is negligible. First I did the tire exchange (got rid of the Kenda’s) and about 6 months plus later I did the swaybar....both are a must, just not at the same time so that you can assess the difference each makes.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The beefier sway bar helps with cornering, wind gusts, and semis. Shocks will improve ride on irregular surfaces (bumps). Tires will improve ride, traction, and longevity.
    x10
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm another contrarian. I think it depends on where you're coming from--I rode motorcycles, so the wind buffeting and little bits of sideways motion on 3 wheels is nothing in comparison to 2. If you want your Spyder to feel more like a car, then I guess the sway bar and tires would help with that. I don't really want my Spyder to feel like a car (I'd drive a convertible car if I wanted the feel of the wind with the stability of a car), it's already way more stable then my previous toys.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    I guess I'm another contrarian. I think it depends on where you're coming from--I rode motorcycles, so the wind buffeting and little bits of sideways motion on 3 wheels is nothing in comparison to 2. If you want your Spyder to feel more like a car, then I guess the sway bar and tires would help with that. I don't really want my Spyder to feel like a car (I'd drive a convertible car if I wanted the feel of the wind with the stability of a car), it's already way more stable then my previous toys.
    IMHO that makes no sense. A soft sway bar will cause the spyder to lean OUT in a corner. Every motorcycle I ever rode leaned IN in a corner. The sway bar flattens the spyder and makes handling more crisp. Replacing the Kenda plastic tires with good car tires adds to the traction and reduces slippage in the fast corners.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

If it is a 'Safety Tie'.

By Hoyle. You are supposed to change these out every time anyway. They are not designed to be reused.

Good advise above. Sorry John. Took me awhile to hook up with what you were trying to tell me. Here is an example, NOT SPYDER!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

IMHO that makes no sense. A soft sway bar will cause the spyder to lean OUT in a corner. Every motorcycle I ever rode leaned IN in a corner. The sway bar flattens the spyder and makes handling more crisp. Replacing the Kenda plastic tires with good car tires adds to the traction and reduces slippage in the fast corners.
    I saw a lot of people like the sway bar upgrade because they don't like how the trike sways on the freeway--my point was that the sway on a Can Am when passing a semi is pretty minor compared to a motorcycle. Of course the physics of a Spyder/Ryker is different than a motorcycle. On my Can-Am, I put pressure on my outside foot and lean into turns--much different than counter steering, but I can do corners just as fast on the Can-Ams. I have no issue if people want to eliminate sway on their Spyder, I just personally don't think it's a required upgrade.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    I saw a lot of people like the sway bar upgrade because they don't like how the trike sways on the freeway--my point was that the sway on a Can Am when passing a semi is pretty minor compared to a motorcycle. Of course the physics of a Spyder/Ryker is different than a motorcycle. On my Can-Am, I put pressure on my outside foot and lean into turns--much different than counter steering, but I can do corners just as fast on the Can-Ams. I have no issue if people want to eliminate sway on their Spyder, I just personally don't think it's a required upgrade.
    I don't believe anyone said that it's a "required upgrade", but most everyone that has changed up to the BajaRon bar and Links would not go back. They Do Improve the handling!.........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

They're on! Hardest part was getting my Spyder to the recommended height.

bajaronswaybar.jpg
    2021 F3 Limited , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

The sway bar isn't required but it is a major improvement if you want to get the most out of spirited riding - especially in fast corners. Not everyone will exceed the limits of the OEM gear but those that do will be looking at the suspension upgrades pretty quickly.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

The sway bar isn't required but it is a major improvement if you want to get the most out of spirited riding - especially in fast corners. Not everyone will exceed the limits of the OEM gear but those that do will be looking at the suspension upgrades pretty quickly.
    I had my swaybar and end links changed about a month ago. Even taking it down the street on straightaways and the Spyder feels more planted to the road, has greatly reduced the lean on even freeway curves and passing semis don't even phase the bike now. For spirited canyon carving, I would still change out the shocks but for the casual rider, I think the swaybar/end links ARE a required item that should have been on it from the factory.
    Last edited by Pirate; 04-10-2022 at 11:42 PM.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JBMGDM View Post

bajaronswaybar.jpg
    Holey Crap, I thought I was the only one that did that stuff!!! Back yard engineering at it's best!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you really dont need to get the whole bike up that high you really only need only need to get one front wheel up that high just to get bar out and back in

Spyder Garage

bajaronswaybar.jpg
    Very nice! That took some planning. Keeping the rear wheel on the ground is also a good alternative. It adds the advantage of less work, helps to stabilize the bike. And requires less total lift (about 2-3" less) Because the bar has to be removed perpendicular to the frame. The angle offered by lifting only the front of the bike gives you more effective clearance to the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Very nice! That took some planning. Keeping the rear wheel on the ground is also a good alternative. It adds the advantage of less work, helps to stabilize the bike. And requires less total lift (about 2-3" less) Because the bar has to be removed perpendicular to the frame. The angle offered by lifting only the front of the bike gives you more effective clearance to the ground.
    Thanks, BajaRon! Yes, your alternative would have worked. Being I was flying solo, I didn't trust the stability of jacking the front only. It doesn't show in the pic, but I also supported the rear with cinder blocks and a jack stand. Stability was rock solid. This may be over-kill, but that's what I felt comfortable with.

I want to praise the recommendation of the use of a dab of super glue on the spacers to keep them in place. That was invaluable! I watched YouTube videos of "experienced" installers using needle-nosed pliers and a ground cloth to capture the spacers should they fall. And, whittling the bushing blocks to help wedge them in?!? Hum, no, not on my watch (although it may be okay to do this?). The bushing blocks, as is, were snug but fit as long as I compressed them with my fingers and pushed them in perpendicular to the channel.

Thanks for a superior product and instructions!
    2021 F3 Limited , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, BajaRon! Yes, your alternative would have worked. Being I was flying solo, I didn't trust the stability of jacking the front only. It doesn't show in the pic, but I also supported the rear with cinder blocks and a jack stand. Stability was rock solid. This may be over-kill, but that's what I felt comfortable with.

I want to praise the recommendation of the use of a dab of super glue on the spacers to keep them in place. That was invaluable! I watched YouTube videos of "experienced" installers using needle-nosed pliers and a ground cloth to capture the spacers should they fall. And, whittling the bushing blocks to help wedge them in?!? Hum, no, not on my watch (although it may be okay to do this?). The bushing blocks, as is, were snug but fit as long as I compressed them with my fingers and pushed them in perpendicular to the channel.

Thanks for a superior product and instructions!
    Customers have come up with a lot of different ways to skin this cat. One had a large manhole in his driveway. He took the lid off, had his wife push the Spyder into position and did it that way. I never heard back from him as to whether or not his wife pushed the Spyder away when he was finished.

Another customer had a basement stairway in his garage. He got down the steps and moved his Spyder into position from there.

I am all for a safe and stable install, regardless of how it is achieved.

The bushings are a very snug fit. But they will make noise if they are not. Glad it worked out well for you.

We are now including a short dowel for assembling the spacer set with current kits. This makes it much easier to do that step. Thought the Super-Glue method is still a great way to go.

Spyder Garage

That’s a good question. I ride very fast and aggressively in the twisties on my 2019 F3T. The F3Ts, similar to the FTLs and RTs has a rear air shock. I set the PSI in my rear shock pretty high which seems to help with aggressive cornering because my bike does not wander nor wobble. However, lately I have had the rear tire briefly break lose (on dry pavement) while cornering hard. This started happening after about 8K miles and now at 10,500 miles after getting a front flat at speed I’ve decided to replace all of my lousy 2 ply Kenda tires with Vredestein Quatrac car tires. Looking forward to a major improvement in handling without upgrading the sway bar. I’ll let you know how it goes. But I must be lucky because I have not had any issues with handling on the interstate.

Spyder Garage

Default Sway bar for F3 LTD

Hi Folks! I'm sure this question has been asked numerous time, but please humor this relative newbie.

I'm looking to the future in taking longer rides. My aim is to have better control in high winds and maneuvering around semi's on interstates riding one-up (as opposed to tearing through twisties).

Is it worth the investment in a beefier sway bar (BajaRon more than likely)? Or, since I'll be riding solo, is the stock sway bar sufficient?
    Yes. The sway bar is absolutely worth the investment. I installed the Baja Ron bar and it is the single best improvement I have made to my Spyder. Handles better in turns, greater wind stability and a lot better riding two up. I would highly recommend it.