Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default Curious about how Passenger Sensor operates on Ryker?

Not yet an owner, but still doing research.

I'm curious about the operation of the passenger peg sensor operation, in that I'm not sure how the system
    can tell the difference if the passenger system is installed, or not.

If the trike does not have the max mount, passenger seat, etc. there's nothing to trigger the sensor for sport/rally mode availability. Just like if the passenger peg is deployed for passenger riding.

I guess my question is, how does the computer know if there is no passenger system installed, or the pegs are down?

Spyder Garage

Deleted post............ Ryker not same sensor system as Spyder
    Last edited by Gwolf; 03-05-2022 at 07:20 PM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    There is a button under the passenger seat. If enough weight is on the seat to depress the button, the nanny assumes there is a passenger. The rear racks, or the rear storage compartments have a recess over the button and do not press on it.

It is not fool proof. You can strap down bags on the passenger seat and the button will be pressed by the pressure of the straps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JswF5hgIZkQ

I have an electrical box blank bolted over mine. There is a cargo bag tied on my passenger seat.
    The "button" is only to lock a passenger seat on or other approved items. The left foot peg, when down, triggers a magnetic switch telling the Ryker to make adjustments accordingly for being "top heavy" with a passenger on board.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    The "button" is only to lock a passenger seat on or other approved items. The left foot peg, when down, triggers a magnetic switch telling the Ryker to make adjustments accordingly for being "top heavy" with a passenger on board.

Yeah, I deleted the post after watching the Ryker videos. Can't disable Ryker passenger detection the same way as Spyder.

I plead insanity.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 03-05-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Magnetic switch, sensor... Potato/Potatoe. I can see the "switch" in a post where the gentleman removed the seat cover to expose the "sensor" and wires. This shows where the "switch" is located.
    What I'm trying to understand is how the Ryker computer can tell if there's a max mount, passenger seat, and pegs mounted with the pegs down, compared to none of that onboard at all?
    How can the system get into Rally or Sport mode if there's no peg in the upright position?

Spyder Garage

Reverse your logic would be my guess. , can get to Rally or Sport mode as long as there's no peg in the down position to hit the switch?

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CsOldGrayDog View Post
    Reverse your logic would be my guess. , can get to Rally or Sport mode as long as there's no peg in the down position to hit the switch?
    I may not be saying this correctly.
    With the 2-up equipment installed, you must have the left peg in the upright position, in order to get to Sport/Rally modes.
    If there is no 2-up equipment, there is no peg to initiate the switch/sensor, to allow Sport/Rally modes.
    How does the computer know the difference?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrampaEJ View Post
    I may not be saying this correctly.
    With the 2-up equipment installed, you must have the left peg in the upright position, in order to get to Sport/Rally modes.
    If there is no 2-up equipment, there is no peg to initiate the switch/sensor, to allow Sport/Rally modes.
    How does the computer know the difference?
    No peg, no magnet, no switch activation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

When there is no passenger lever installed, the computer can go into sport and rally modes.
    When the lever is installed and it's in the upright condition, the computer can go into sport and rally mode.
    When the lever is down, the switch over rides ( blocks) the computer from going into sport and rally mode.

Spyder Garage

I was wondering the same thing, Thanks for explaining.
    Watched a few videos showing the passenger seat and footpegs being installed and none have showed adding a switch.
    Did I miss something.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, Thanks for explaining.
    Watched a few videos showing the passenger seat and footpegs being installed and none have showed adding a switch.
    Did I miss something.
    The switch/sensor is mounted to the seat. I've seen a post or video, either here or YT, that shows someone removed the seat cover and shows the sensor and wires.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    When there is no passenger lever installed, the computer can go into sport and rally modes.
    When the lever is installed and it's in the upright condition, the computer can go into sport and rally mode.
    When the lever is down, the switch over rides ( blocks) the computer from going into sport and rally mode.
    Exactly. I understand the positioning. But, I guess, the question is, does it make physical contact with the switch, when in the down position?
    Or, is it a magnetic switch, like someone else mentioned?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrampaEJ View Post
    The switch/sensor is mounted to the seat. I've seen a post or video, either here or YT, that shows someone removed the seat cover and shows the sensor and wires.

You are correct, but that is on two different models. The Spyder models have the passenger pressure switch under the passenger seat, but the Ryker models have the switch on the passenger footpeg.

Spyder Garage

Is the wiring on a Ryker already in place and you just plug it in when installing the pegs.
    Was planning on installing the seat kit myself and watched videos on it and none said anything about the switch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Is the wiring on a Ryker already in place and you just plug it in when installing the pegs.
    Was planning on installing the seat kit myself and watched videos on it and none said anything about the switch.
    The switch is a magnetic reed switch and is installed and wired on every Ryker. The left passenger peg has a magnet that comes near the switch when the peg is down. It does not and has no need to make contact.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    No peg, no magnet, no switch activation.
    passenger switch.JPG

There it is!
    Now. it makes sense.

Thanks, DickB.
    Last edited by GrampaEJ; 03-07-2022 at 06:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    The switch is a magnetic reed switch and is installed and wired on every Ryker. The left passenger peg has a magnet that comes near the switch when the peg is down. It does not and has no need to make contact.
    Thanks DickB. I was getting confused( nothing new for me) that I missed something in the videos.

Spyder Garage

Glad you got your answer, but it was answered in the 3rd post by canamryder.
    Last edited by Markubis; 03-08-2022 at 06:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

you can use the left passenger peg to switch from "Sport" mode to "normal" mode during your ride - just move it down and up with your left hand when you ride solo
    seems thats why its on the left side !!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats