Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12v optional adaptor

I had the dealer add the 12v optional outlet in the trunk during prep and I was wondering, do I need a special plug for it? I tried plugging in my phone charger so that I could charge the phone while its blue toothed to my Parrot system but it didnt seem to work. So either it doesnt work or I need a special adaptor??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check and seen if they put the fuse in for it. It's a common mistake. And it only works with the key on. 3 amp

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No special plug is required. I installed mine and phone charger works just fine. There is a fuse for this; you might want to check the fuse block to make sure the fuse is in place.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12V

Not sure which plug you have but I installed a 12 Volt outlet and it works just fine. I use the same phone adapter as I use in my car. Also my GPS works fine.

Spyder Garage

Pop the top off your fuse block, there should be a 3 amp fuse in the slot at the top center. Needs to be there, quite a few dealers leave it out when they do the install.

john

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

If the fuse is in, the then the key has to be on and/ or the engine has to be running. The plug on a 20 sec. time delay.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1eater View Post
    I had the dealer add the 12v optional outlet in the trunk during prep ...but it didnt seem to work.
    Ask the dealer to enroll in the Spyderlovers School System...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2nd on the fuse. Same issue here.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i dont know.......this seems really retarded to me. Dont the frickin dealers check to see if it works after the install????????????

I just dont understand why something would be installed without it being tested before it left the shop

IT MAKES ME ANGRY

if a dealer cant take 3 lousey seconds to check the outlet, I wouldnt trust em to do ANYTHING on my bike. LOSERS

I did my own and guess what the first thing I did was when I was done with the install???? nope.......didnt mow the lawn.........I CHECKED TO SEE IF IT WORKED DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Last edited by brutus450; 11-17-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brutus450 View Post
    i dont know.......this seems really retarded to me. Dont the frickin dealers check to see if it works after the install????????????

I just dont understand why something would be installed without it being tested before it left the shop

IT MAKES ME ANGRY

if a dealer cant take 3 lousey seconds to check the outlet, I wouldnt trust em to do ANYTHING on my bike. LOSERS

I did my own and guess what the first thing I did was when I was done with the install???? nope.......didnt mow the lawn.........I CHECKED TO SEE IF IT WORKED DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My dealer checked it they said and I trust them, they are pretty good. However if there is a 20 sec delay as someone posted above then that might be the problem, I didnt let it run for 20 secs, I just cranked the motor on and watched the plug and phone non of which indicated they were getting power.

THanks for the suggestions I'll check the fuse today.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

There's only a delay when shutting the ignition off... not on.

My dealer checked it they said and I trust them, they are pretty good. However if there is a 20 sec delay as someone posted above then that might be the problem, I didnt let it run for 20 secs, I just cranked the motor on and watched the plug and phone non of which indicated they were getting power.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have to wiggle mine to make one of my chargers work

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Let me reword this= When you turn off the key the plug is not live after 20 sec. But if you turned on the motor and didn't have power, They probably left the fuse out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Optional adapter

I had the dealer add the 12v optional outlet in the trunk during prep and I was wondering, do I need a special plug for it? I tried plugging in my phone charger so that I could charge the phone while its blue toothed to my Parrot system but it didnt seem to work. So either it doesnt work or I need a special adaptor??
    Can you tell me what the dealer charged. I've been quoted $45-150 from two different reps at the dealer. One said $150 the other $45. thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykjimmy View Post
    Can you tell me what the dealer charged. I've been quoted $45-150 from two different reps at the dealer. One said $150 the other $45. thanks
    there is one one ebay now for about 27.00

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by truck 85 View Post
    there is one one ebay now for about 27.00
    That's for the socket, the prices that are being quoted probably (should) include installation. You gotta pull the trunk off to do it.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    You gotta pull the trunk off to do it.

john
    I didn't pull off the trunk to do mine and it works just fine (after putting in the fuse!).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I didn't pull off the trunk to do mine and it works just fine (after putting in the fuse!).
    I did mine without pulling off the trunk - easy to do

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

did not take mine off but you need small hands got my daughter to do some or it.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post

Spyder Garage

The reason for pulling off the trunk is to use a paper template to set the hole in the proper location to avoid the frame behind the trunk and to align with the hole in the trunk liner.

I did it myself and it took about an hour. The hole for the plug is an odd size, so I used the next- smaller bit I had and used a knife to carve out the remainder of the hole.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    The reason for pulling off the trunk is to use a paper template to set the hole in the proper location to avoid the frame behind the trunk and to align with the hole in the trunk liner.
    i used the paper template still without the trunk off. It was aligned perfectly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi ,I bought 2 BRP 12v plugs off of e-bay .I installed one and it didnt work with my radar detector BUT would run a 12 volt car vacuum. I switched to the second 12v plug and it worked just fine ..you may have a bad 12 volt plug in also? Good luck .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is my experience that as soon as the key is turned on you get power .The delay happens when the key s turned off ...the plug remains live for a period of time ,possibly 20 seconds .