Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Bummed--steering issues @ 2090 miles

It's in the lower 50's today, figured I'd ride up to the drugstore. About half way there at 45mph the steering locks up and starts pulling slightly to the left. No warnings on the dash so I don't think it is fuses. This happened 4 times in about 12 miles. A slight tug puts it back at dead center but I can feel resistance as I correct. On the way back it happens one last time at 45 mpg on a much busier highway and my front wheels are quickly on the yellow line with oncoming traffic. Yike. The bike goes back to steering normally once I pull it back past dead center. No other lockups on the way home but at least for now, no more riding for me.
    The bike has performed flawlessly until today, and i purposely have held off on the steering recall because of all the chatter here and the fact that I haven't had ANY steering problems. The riding season is just about over here in the midwest so there won't be that many more days to ride anyway but the dilemma is to have it fixed with the current updates (that don't seem to be working so well for many), or just cover it up and wait for the next update?
    I generally ride on highways so I'm glad this happened within a slow speed situation I could control, but there's an obvious problem. Not sure what to do at this point--fix it or forget it for a while. I'm a little bummed that there doesn't seem to be a stable solution for this - I have no other complaints about the bike, but it's gotta steer where it's pointed -period. I guess I'm a member of the club now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnkc View Post
    It's in the lower 50's today, figured I'd ride up to the drugstore. About half way there at 45mph the steering locks up and starts pulling slightly to the left. No warnings on the dash so I don't think it is fuses. This happened 4 times in about 12 miles. A slight tug puts it back at dead center but I can feel resistance as I correct. On the way back it happens one last time at 45 mpg on a much busier highway and my front wheels are quickly on the yellow line with oncoming traffic. Yike. The bike goes back to steering normally once I pull it back past dead center. No other lockups on the way home but at least for now, no more riding for me.
    The bike has performed flawlessly until today, and i purposely have held off on the steering recall because of all the chatter here and the fact that I haven't had ANY steering problems. The riding season is just about over here in the midwest so there won't be that many more days to ride anyway but the dilemma is to have it fixed with the current updates (that don't seem to be working so well for many), or just cover it up and wait for the next update?
    I generally ride on highways so I'm glad this happened within a slow speed situation I could control, but there's an obvious problem. Not sure what to do at this point--fix it or forget it for a while. I'm a little bummed that there doesn't seem to be a stable solution for this - I have no other complaints about the bike, but it's gotta steer where it's pointed -period. I guess I'm a member of the club now.
    Have the dealer check fuzz's and the alinement if off the computer well try to coreck it self saying you are off.have second up date dune and they well check the aliement and fix it mine was doing same they fixed it and I'm still watching for signs . let me no mine was at 70mph on a left turn almost went off the cliff 85 drop off .......

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Call your dealer and report it on the NHTA website. Happened to me too twice at that speed but I was curving to the right when it locked and didn't want to go back straight. It all happened so fast but it wasn't normal. Glad you are ok!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've called the dealer and they are going to come pick up the bike. They have sold over 25 bikes since becoming a dealer and claim there have been no problems with bikes they have updated. I don't have a high level of confidence about software updates at this point but they think this will fix it. I hope this doesn't turn into a fiasco -- I'm trying to stay positive for now.
    Even though I have not yet had any updates I will report this to NHTA just because I think it is important that these incidents be documented to ensure movement towards a successful (and hopefully final) remedy. I hope everyone who takes the time to express their complaints here is also taking the time to document them at NHTA.

Spyder Garage

You said you Haven't had any updates done yet ???

Wasn't the first update to correct the problem you just incountered ???
    Happy Owner

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnkc View Post
    I've called the dealer and they are going to come pick up the bike. They have sold over 25 bikes since becoming a dealer and claim there have been no problems with bikes they have updated. I don't have a high level of confidence about software updates at this point but they think this will fix it. I hope this doesn't turn into a fiasco -- I'm trying to stay positive for now.
    Even though I have not yet had any updates I will report this to NHTA just because I think it is important that these incidents be documented to ensure movement towards a successful (and hopefully final) remedy. I hope everyone who takes the time to express their complaints here is also taking the time to document them at NHTA.
    First of all, you have not had the steering update, which is supposed to correct incidents of this nature. I would not report it to NHTSA, since they have issued a recall and you have not had the recall work completed yet. When it is at the dealer, have them check the calibration of the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) and other associated sensors. Having a miscalibrated sensor can trigger this problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    First of all, you have not had the steering update, which is supposed to correct incidents of this nature. I would not report it to NHTSA, since they have issued a recall and you have not had the recall work completed yet. When it is at the dealer, have them check the calibration of the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) and other associated sensors. Having a miscalibrated sensor can trigger this problem.

Can't really blame BRP if you ignored the recall notice.

The 'rash' of users with new steering problems seems to come from those having the SECOND update done - which is optional and was only supposed to fix engine sputter that some with aftermarket exhausts and intakes were having.

Make sure they re-zero everything and do the first update-- by the book.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No offense to anyone, but there are others who have taken the similar stance that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. While the update is supposed to fix problems, for many it has not and for yet others, it has caused problems that originally didn't exist. Then there are those that have no problems, don't post, or don't even know about this site. Unfortunately, this has made me gun shy about the current updates with a bike that has performed well since March. Today was just my day--and I reported it here without any speculation or negativity towards BRP. My preference would have been to wait until there is an official ruling on the problem and a universal solution, but now that my problem has cropped up I'll deal with it now and it may actually be easier to diagnose and fix. The only known fact about my steering issue is that it is "not" an artifact of an update. We'll see what they find.
    To Scotty's point, thanks, I'll pass the sensor info along to the dealer. I will also wait to see if my problem gets solved before filing a report.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I experienced the EXACT same problem yesterday. My Spyder is now at the dealership.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I had the update and still experienced the problem. The service manager told me today that the second update includes a newer version of the first update designed to further "tweak" the steering.

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default First update was...

to correct the problem you encountered. My 08 SM5 started doing what you described. It started doing it at 2200 miles without any prior symptoms. After the update it has been smooth as silk. /Ken

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    I experienced the EXACT same problem yesterday. My Spyder is now at the dealership.
    How can I take it for a trial ride this weekend if it's at the dealership getting fixed?
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey, you had your chance yesterday!