Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default canister vent hose?

What exactly is the new evap canister vent hose for? I had the 1st and 2nd update done last week and noticed that they did not install this new hose. The dealer and brp confirmed that my vin# did not need this. Is this supposed to help with the gas fumes? I still can smell the fumes and wonder why only only certain vin#'s need this. I purchased 9/08. Also just noticed that I have oil leaking from the air box. Going to take it to the dealer. What is the procedure for the fix for this?
    Last edited by SE5spyder; 10-19-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SE5spyder,

I can't answer your vent hose question, but I can address your oil in the airbox. This issue has been addressed in much detail in this forum (search on Lamonster's catch can project). This is a common issue on our Rotax engines caused by engine blow-back. I have experienced this on my '09 SE5 on long trips. I have discussed this with my dealer. I know of only two solutions:

1. Do the catch can project (many have done this). This is a permanent fix.
    2. Lower the oil level just a little (This has not stopped mine, but has reduced it. Mine was not bad to start with though.)

David

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SE5spyder View Post
    What exactly is the new evap canister vent hose for? I had the 1st and 2nd update done last week and noticed that they did not install this new hose. The dealer and brp confirmed that my vin# did not need this. Is this supposed to help with the gas fumes? I still can smell the fumes and wonder why only only certain vin#'s need this. I purchased 9/08. Also just noticed that I have oil leaking from the air box. Going to take it to the dealer. What is the procedure for the fix for this?
    As far as I know, there is no procedure and there is no fix. BRP considers it to be normal.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Also got the first and second update. The dealer didn't have the hose in stock at the time of the update. The wife told me that the hose, related clamps, and routing instructions came in the mail today from the dealer. That saves me a trip back to Columbia, SC. Not too many people would go out of thier way to do that. Great dealer!