Spyder Garage

Default Gremlin/Guardian Bell - 2019 RTL

Hello, all. I was wondering where you have mounted a Gremlin Bell? We have a 2019 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by casey111 View Post
    Hello, all. I was wondering where you have mounted a Gremlin Bell? We have a 2019 RTL.
    Just this weekend I put my wife's on her new 2019 RTL at the lowest point of the brake pedal with a zip tie. this way it is lower than the floorboard and wont get tangled up with her braking.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much. Sounds like a great solution.

Spyder Garage

Traditionally the bell is placed as low and as far forward as possible. I put the one that was given to me on the lower control arm for the front right wheel on our 2018 RTL. I used plastic zip ties to attach the bell to the trike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Have mine attached to trailer hitch with no problems what so ever!, lost one attached under my floorboard.

Spyder Garage

Lower A-arm
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I now have plenty of options.

Spyder Garage

There is a whole "protocol" in reference to the Gremlin Bell. A very interesting read. Just give it a google....

I have put them on the A-arm, on a saddle bag buckle (Vulcan), and on the shift mechanism on the handlebar. All have been attached with zip ties. Never lost a bell. Never had a mis-hap either. I guess they work.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-10-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I read about the protocols, thanks. Whatever reduces mishaps, I'm all for it!

Spyder Garage

My bell came with a metal ring attached, so I pulled the bottom spring on my muffler and slipped it over the spring.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I don''t know if this is a tradition or not, but a Goldwing rider says the best luck with the bell is if someong gives it to you. Possible old wives tale.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    I don''t know if this is a tradition or not, but a Goldwing rider says the best luck with the bell is if someong gives it to you. Possible old wives tale.
    That's the way I read it. Someone from this site sent one to me after I hinted that no one loves me enough to give me one. I know that's kinda blantant, but the way I ride I need all the luck I can get. Thanks again Pegasus.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

The traditional story that I heard many decades ago now is that Guardian Bells ONLY work if they are given to you - but if the 'giver' OR the 'givee' already has a Guardian Bell, their luck & gremlin protection can be improved further by paying it on and either passing on a newly given bell (if they already have one) or giving another (or others) a Bell too!

So it might not be worth your while to go out & buy one for yourself, but you can still reap some of their benefits by giving others Guardian Bells, even if you haven't ever been given one yourself!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I posted this on a Goldwing forum when the bell thread came up back in 2005. A few additions or changes to the original post I made for this current thread are in red :

Gremlin bells, bike bells or whatever you call them are an old tradition. They supposedly keep the gremlins away that cause breakdowns, crashes and generally bad juju on your bike. They don't work unless they are freely given, and should be put on the bike as far forward and as low as possible. In the old days before the marketing types got into the act with chrome and little cards to sell you on the bell and angels, logos, cute sayings and such on them, the bells were almost always brass. Usually bought at flea markets, found in grandma's junk drawer or the like. The little cards explaining "The Legend Of The Bell" are a marketing ploy, not tradition. One place I used to get brass bells was at Pier 1 back when it sold cheap stuff from India before it got trendy and expensive. Now I get them at flea markets or ebay. Check "Brass Bells" or "Bells of Sarna". I usually pick up a half dozen for around $10. Picking one of the chromed ones with angels, sayings, logos or a service insignia and such at a bike shop, swap meet or rally is fine. It's not old school tradition, but it is the thought that counts.

I have had one on every bike I've owned. Never even hinted that I wanted one to anybody, was just given them. Was given my first one by a friends dad (A M/C "gang" member - 1st 1%er I knew) when I was 9 years old (I'm 64 now) for my Sears & Roebuck minibike and told about the gremlin deal. It was, and still is, a large round brass sleighbell, about 2 1/2" in diameter. That bell is on my Harley in the garage as I type. (Note- sold the Harley after 28 years last summer, 2019, kept the bell) The one on the Goldwing was given to my wife by a guy at a rest stop in Iowa. We were talking bikes (what else?) and he noticed there was no bell on the trike. Seems he was just at a yard sale and bought 2 brass bells, and gave one for our trike. (Passed this bell along to the new owner when the Wing trike was sold)

Every time I see mine or hear it jingle I know that someone thought enough of me to give me a token that they wish me the best. Superstition about the road gremlins aside, what they really signify is that someone cares and they want you to be safe. And for me I think about them when I hear the bell or clean it while washing the bike.

Later in that thread folks started to ask for a bell, which was considered bad form in the old days before internet. A further post:

Since the old tradition is to not ask for a bell folks just mentioned that they don't have one, and someone else would post to the effect"I'll freely send you one, email me your address."
    Now I am of two minds about this. Old school thought is that a bell is freely given out of the blue, not asked for or even a hint that it's is wanted or it doesn't mean anything. That was before internet when folks you know were close by and people met pretty much only In Real Life.
    Now with the interwebs great friendships are formed and go on for years without a face to face meeting. In this case how would a friend know if there is a bell on the bike ir they hadn't seen it? I guess the new reality would be that it is OK to let someone know there isn't a bell - like, "I've installed a new Intelocking Granistan Joint, put the Winter air in the tires, ordered some new blinker bearings and figured out where to put the ride bell if I get one." Be subtle, I guess that would be OK

I have met a few folks that told me a bell on the rear is in memory of friends that are no longer with us, especially if they passed in a motorcycle accident. I don't know if this was regional or something within their group or club.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Lower bolt on muffler at rear with an Adel clamp.IMG_0712.jpg

Spyder Garage

As low as you can get it.....
    Gremlins can only jump as high as the bell... So if it's at the top of your windshield, gremlins can attack everything below that.....

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

From one of our Sponsors here at SL http://store.valueaccessories.net/Mo...dianBells.aspx click on Type of bell to see the different bells they have. Keep a friend in mind.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the great info. My wife bought one for me. I'll hang it as low as possible.