Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Any Update to the Update Yet?

I have a 2008 SM5 and I had the DPS update done a month ago. I now have that surging/hesitation at around 3000-4000 rpm's like a lot of other people. I performed a canisterectomy, but this made absolutely no difference, in fact my gas mileage dropped from about 35-36 before to 25 this weekend.

Has anyone heard for sure if BRP IS going to have a fix for this? There was talk last week about having one ready this past Friday. I was gone for a few days, so I haven't been able to read the forum for a few days.

I am very dissapointed in my Spyder. I had two people that wanted to check it out and ride it this weekend, but I wouldn't let them because of the surging. I am embarrassed and didn't want them to get a bad impression of the Spyder if they rode it. Both guys are "riders" and would notice the surging right away.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought my 2009 two weeks ago, have put over 1100, miles on it so far, and it seems to be running worse each day, sputtering all the way thru the power band now, do I just keep driving it until an update arrives? The dealer said they installed the steering update before I bought it, but I never asked them about any other updates, should I call them?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

The update "2.0" should be up this week.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder is also sick after the "upgrade"! I did the canisterectomy and it definitely runs better than right after the "upgrade"...but not nearly as well as it did before I was forced by "Big Brother...a.k.a. BRP" to have some unnecessary "updates" hidden in the mandatory recall! Then they had the nerve to blame the the owners for customizing our prize possessions!

I don't trust them anymore.

Hey BRP! Are you listening?! Do you even care?!

When people stop me to ask questions, I have stopped telling people to buy one. I would not have gone this route if BRP had been honest with its loyal customers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vendit View Post
    I have a 2008 SM5 and I had the DPS update done a month ago. I now have that surging/hesitation at around 3000-4000 rpm's like a lot of other people. I performed a canisterectomy, but this made absolutely no difference, in fact my gas mileage dropped from about 35-36 before to 25 this weekend.

Has anyone heard for sure if BRP IS going to have a fix for this? There was talk last week about having one ready this past Friday. I was gone for a few days, so I haven't been able to read the forum for a few days.

I am very dissapointed in my Spyder. I had two people that wanted to check it out and ride it this weekend, but I wouldn't let them because of the surging. I am embarrassed and didn't want them to get a bad impression of the Spyder if they rode it. Both guys are "riders" and would notice the surging right away.
    I was told last week by a local dealer that there was not going to be a fix for the dps update for those with problems. BRP's solution was to just ride it out(for how long,though?) and it should recalibrate itself...If it doesn't, there's nothing they can do as quoted by the dealer. Can't understand why one dealer says something totally the opposite of another. This is what they said to relay to those with problems from BRP.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SE5spyder View Post
    I was told last week by a local dealer that there was not going to be a fix for the dps update for those with problems. BRP's solution was to just ride it out(for how long,though?) and it should recalibrate itself...If it doesn't, there's nothing they can do as quoted by the dealer. Can't understand why one dealer says something totally the opposite of another. This is what they said to relay to those with problems from BRP.
    This sure sounds like BRP failing to communicate to its dealers...or dealers are failing to check their dealer website for info. I caught my dealer on that one once!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am also very dissapointed with BRP! I love my Spyder, but.......when it runs like crap, I am not happy about it, and then they don't respond in a timely manner with a fix. I didn't appreciate hearing about all the "added fixes" that they hid in the DPS update. They need to disclose this info to the dealers and owners.

To: BRP: I am not impressed with your service at all. I e-mailed tech support over 3 weeks ago, and no response. I too am afrid they are puting all their efforts into the new RT, and putting the current problems on the back burner. It's not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will no longer be telling people about the Spyder. I don't want people to spend their hard erned money on a cool product that doesn't run well, and has very poor factory support!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am also very dissapointed with BRP! I love my Spyder, but.......when it runs like crap, I am not happy about it, and then they don't respond in a timely manner with a fix. I didn't appreciate hearing about all the "added fixes" that they hid in the DPS update. They need to disclose this info to the dealers and owners.

To: BRP: I am not impressed with your service at all. I e-mailed tech support over 3 weeks ago, and no response. I too am afrid they are puting all their efforts into the new RT, and putting the current problems on the back burner. It's not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will no longer be telling people about the Spyder. I don't want people to spend their hard erned money on a cool product that doesn't run well, and has very poor factory support!
    I also love my Spyder but I'm sick of having to "correct" things that BRP "fixed" for me without my knowledge or permission!

To the computer hackers out there: please figure out a way to bypass the BRP programming so our Spyders aren't sick when "Big Brother" decides to "help" us!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Actually if I really get on the throttle all thru the gears it runs fine, its the casual driving when it sputters, is that what you guys are experiencing?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I found this weekend, that if I stay in 4th gear up to around 55-60mph it runs smoother! Yes, you are correct. It's the lower rpm's for me that's the problem. 3000-4000 rpm's. I was on the freeway doing between 70 and 80 mph for a short time, and it ran good. Then slowed to about 50-55 in 5th gear, and it started surging again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I never run the Spyder in 5th gear under 55 mph (or 60). The Spyder has a high revving engine and it loves to spin. Some folks here don't hit 5th gear until 60 or higher and have no problems.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I never run the Spyder in 5th gear under 55 mph (or 60). The Spyder has a high revving engine and it loves to spin. Some folks here don't hit 5th gear until 60 or higher and have no problems.
    You should be able to cruise as low as 3000 rpm without problems.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    You should be able to cruise as low as 3000 rpm without problems.
    In 5th gear that is way too low...the engine is lugging. That's not the case with lower gears.

Spyder Garage

Default You never know!

Since the update, it seems like it is different bike every time I start it up. Sometimes the engine is smooth and strong power through the revs yet other times it has weak spots in the power band which leads to inconsistent shifts on the SE5.

Tonight, it felt as if the clutch was slipping on every shift. I stopped for gas and pulled out into traffic and expected the shift to be the same but 2nd to 3rd pulled harder than I have ever felt and I was amazed at the power.

Yes, software update, ground wire and canister off and plugged. The fix can't come soon enough or I have more problems brewing.

Spyder Garage

Okay guys, please don't everyone jump on me here. There is a lot of BRP bashing going on. I realize that the spyders are having some issues after the updates but I really think you need to look a little closer to home. I think there are an awful lot of dealer service departments that are trying to fix everything as easy and quickly as possible. They may not be doing every little step needed to get the update loaded correctly. BJT posted this in another thread, I will have to find it. We have been very happy with our dealer and on top of that, his communication with BRP has been top notch. I have had everything done under warranty on my spyder and it is running great right now. Heck they even sent me new rear fender brackets when my dealer showed them the stress cracks. Your dealer has to be able to go to bat for you. I think it is very easy for the service dept to lay the blame elsewhere when they aren't able to do the work. This is just my opinion and my .02 but I know in the past it has been terribly hard to find a reliable, honest and dependable auto mechanic. Why should I find it so hard to believe that it is any different in the Powersports world.

BRP has done a lot of really great things for the spyder owners in the short time the spyder has been out. How many of us have taken the time to say Thank you for the good things. Owners are blaming the marketing folks and people like Carlo that field the questions for us and everyone else. I for one would like to thank BRP for the extra fun I've had in my life since March of 2008. The little extras that they've given like the Homecoming event, the small gifts, the LA Event, the gift certificates last year in Gatlinburg even though it wasn't an official BRP event. Okay, I am getting off my soap box now before someone knocks me off.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Okay guys, please don't everyone jump on me here. There is a lot of BRP bashing going on. I realize that the spyders are having some issues after the updates but I really think you need to look a little closer to home. I think there are an awful lot of dealer service departments that are trying to fix everything as easy and quickly as possible. They may not be doing every little step needed to get the update loaded correctly. BJT posted this in another thread, I will have to find it. We have been very happy with our dealer and on top of that, his communication with BRP has been top notch. I have had everything done under warranty on my spyder and it is running great right now. Heck they even sent me new rear fender brackets when my dealer showed them the stress cracks. Your dealer has to be able to go to bat for you. I think it is very easy for the service dept to lay the blame elsewhere when they aren't able to do the work. This is just my opinion and my .02 but I know in the past it has been terribly hard to find a reliable, honest and dependable auto mechanic. Why should I find it so hard to believe that it is any different in the Powersports world.

BRP has done a lot of really great things for the spyder owners in the short time the spyder has been out. How many of us have taken the time to say Thank you for the good things. Owners are blaming the marketing folks and people like Carlo that field the questions for us and everyone else. I for one would like to thank BRP for the extra fun I've had in my life since March of 2008. The little extras that they've given like the Homecoming event, the small gifts, the LA Event, the gift certificates last year in Gatlinburg even though it wasn't an official BRP event. Okay, I am getting off my soap box now before someone knocks me off.

I am curious who your dealer is? Is it Great Lakes Powersports in Flint?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    The update "2.0" should be up this week.
    Do you have any confirmation from your dealer on this update? There were several people who said their dealer told them it was supposed to be out last Friday, but yet a couple other people were told by their dealer that BRP told them that they just have to "ride it out" and that there wasn't going to be any fix.

Who do you believe?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    In 5th gear that is way too low...the engine is lugging. That's not the case with lower gears.
    Nope, runs great....no lugging and no misfire or sputtering....and I've also had the update done.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Our dealer told us today that he talked with a BRP tech who said "they are working diligently" to get the update to the update done asap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree with dltang. When I bought my Spyder three months ago I knew I was in uncharted territory. No matter how many miles you put on pre-production machines until there are some on the road, in real world situations, the bugs may not show themselves. Particularly when you have a new, innovative and complex machine.

My dealer (Courtenay Motorsports) has been great. When my bike started to act up they picked it up the next day and transported it to their shop. Not exactly around the corner either. Jed worked with BRP to solve the steering/creeping issue I was having and a few days later I had it back and it is running exceptionally. He was gracious with his time on the phone and I felt like I learned alot.

One of the fun things about this machine is being part of the group that is coming to know the Spyder from the beginning. Like it or not we are guinea pigs. It seems like most of what I am hearing here are dealer concerns and not necessarily problems with the bike. A good dealer goes a long way and I am fortunate to have a good one backing me up.

As far as my experience with BRP directly, Carlo has been great. He has promptly returned my calls and is professional and courteous to deal with. When I commented about my brake squeal new pads were sent out. He also understands that the communication from BRP needs to be more complete and current, but we need to remember that this is a large corporation and things sometimes move a little slower than we would like. I do agree that the e-mail tech support leaves something to be desired. I have had little success there so choose to make my contact via phone.

I have been in the high end customer service business for many years and I find that if you address your concerns with a calm, reasonable attitude things may go your way. Not everyone sees a big conspiracy here. Not everyone is disappointed, there are lots of people have trouble free lives with their Spyder and enjoying a wonderful machine. No question BRP has some room to improve in the customer service end, especially since we have all made a financial committment to a new design, we should be given a little extra care and attention.

At the end of the day I think that the Spyder is a great machine, but it is that, a machine, and sometimes machines don't work the way we would like. Truly exceptional motor with a great powerband, fine brakes, and an aesthetic appeal that we all are very aware of. For those of you with Spyders that are acting up, hang in there. I am sure that when all is said and done BRP will figure out the glitches (with our help) and we all will enjoy our rides for alot of miles and SMILES!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After riding my Spyder most all Day Sunday. I came to the decision it wasn't good good me to do so. They more I rode the mader I got. By the end of the day, when anybody asked about the Spyder, all I could tell them, it is a piece of junk, made by a company that doesn't seem to care about there customers. they messed it up, they should fix it. Rode the Boss Hoss Monday, the old school machine, without all the computor stuff. ran good, was very relaxing and enjoyable to ride. Came Home in a much better mood. I personally could care less about the events or gifts, All I want is for my Spyder to run like it did before the update. Is that to much to ask for?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My sputtering was fixed when I had a second dealer redo the download and follow all the steps correctly(recalibrating everything and properly clearing fault codes). Might want to give it a try. Now it's running like it did before the update.

Spyder Garage

No, we go to NordRide in Mt. Morris.

My first (and second) impression of Great Lakes Powersports has us staying away from them.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    No, we go to NordRide in Mt. Morris.

My first (and second) impression of Great Lakes Powersports has us staying away from them.
    As bjt stated we have no been overly impressed with Great Lakes from the very beginning. I can not really respond to their service dept as we have never taken our spyder to them for service. We get all of our work done at Nord Ride in Mt. Morris. We went into Great Lakes again this past weekend just to look at some riding apparel and just general stuff and they still didn't impress me. We were talking to some people that were looking at the spyders they had on display and once again, they knew less than us.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes, just slide that soap box over here . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Okay guys, please don't everyone jump on me here. There is a lot of BRP bashing going on. I realize that the spyders are having some issues after the updates but I really think you need to look a little closer to home. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Okay, I am getting off my soap box now before someone knocks me off.
    . . . . besides the bashing, I find the inaccuracies and gross generalizations to be both mind boggling, sad, and even dangerous in a way.

What really got to me, was what happened to one of our fellow members last week. They posted they were far from home and had suffered a major breakdown. Instead of "help", support, or suggestions some members here told them that was just how BRP worked, waste of time - summed up, it was "you are screwed and BRP does not care". What made it pitiful was this continued even after BRP and the dealership came through with a creative solution and got the rider back on the road. If that rider had followed the "advice" given, it would have cost them thousands of dollars, a ruined vacation, AND their Spyder would still be toast. It was a perfect example of careless, inaccurate, uncaring and irresponsible advice.

I have had no problems with my Spyder or the update. Period. But, I follow the threads on it closely. There is a lot of great advice from some very knowledgeable and credible people - then there are the others that just whine. Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when they constantly twist the facts, misrepresent statements and repel all offers of commonsense and courtesy, it is time to take docdoru's advice: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...53&postcount=2

I feel sorry for all the people who are new to the forum, that don't have the advantage of seeing those posts for what they are. And for all the other members that feel they need to jump in and provide some context so the forum is not just another internet Whine Cellar.

. . . . . OK, anyone want Deb's soapbox next?

Tom