Spyder Garage

Default First problem with Spyder....ideas? FIXED!!

I have over 12,000 on my Spyder and all has been perfect thus far. Yesterday I took a ride and a scrolled message came up - VSS FAULT - check DPS. i stopped the bike for a couple minutes and and all was well again. The steering always felt fine..... Anyone else have this problem?
    I plan on checking the battery attachments and the fuses - I am thinking it must be electrical because it goes away as soon as the computer re-sets and does not come back after operation.......what do you guys think?

PS I have not had the update....been holding off on that.

WHILE INSTALLING THE EVO SPAL FAN RELAY, I HAD ALL THE TUPPERWEAR OFF - THE TERMINALS WERE ALITTLE GUNKY AND I TIGHNED ALL THE CONNECTIONS...PROBLEM SOLVED!
    THE FAN RELAY WORKS GREAT - I AM AT 3 BARS ALL THE TIME NOW. IN EXTREME TRAFFIC OR LONG IDLING I WILL GET 4 BARS FOR A MINUTE AND THEN BACK TO 3 BARS! GREAT MOD!
    Last edited by Donzo; 09-06-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Found out the problem

Spyder Garage

My guess is you have a relay going south.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply Lamont. I will switch the headlight relay with the DPS relay and see if that cures the problem...with the DPS anyway....

If there are any other suggestions I am all ears

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    Thanks for the reply Lamont. I will switch the headlight relay with the DPS relay and see if that cures the problem...with the DPS anyway....

put some fome in cover of fuze box well keep mthem from comeing lose they vibrate lose push them all down did mine no problem.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Often you get multiple scrolling messages from the main relay having problems. I'd try this one first. Also, just check to see if they are loose.

Spyder Garage

I just went out and checked - the relays were not all the way seated! I added some thin foam as vt228 suggested...hope this is a fix - I will let you know. I did ride on a rough dirt road late last week that could have started to loosen them up. Thanks for the feedback!

Any other ideas in case this is not the fix?

Spyder Garage

Well the same thing happened - VSS Fault - check DPS and limp home mode. Turn off key for 1 minute and it clears and is fine again for an indefinate amount of time.....
    Switched the relays made sure they are snug --

Any other ideas of what the issue may be??

TRhanks in advance for any other suggestions.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Check and clean battery terminals. If that doesn't work, see the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vt228 View Post
    put some fome in cover of fuze box well keep mthem from comeing lose they vibrate lose push them all down did mine no problem.

I have heard about the foam in the relay box thing many times. So I decided to do it as a precautionary measure since I have never had a relay come loose.

Well guess what. I have a piece of die cut foam installed at the factory in my relay box. It must be working well since there is an outline of each of the big relays in the foam.

Just thought some of you might want to know this. Am I the only one with factory installed foam in my relay box? I doubt it. If you don't have it maybe you want to see your dealer.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

I think a lot of people have the factory installed foam in the fuse / relay lid, I do. So does my wife, dltang.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had that come up after a hard braking. I had the throttle lock on and hit the brakes hard. I noticed the bike was still trying to pulling while I was trying to stop. Right after I released the throttle and got the bike stopped. I notice the warning. I just pulled off to the side of the road, turn off the bike and let it sit for a few minutes. When I turned the bike on it had cleared itself. Never came up again. Before you take it to the shop. Disconnect the battery for 15 min. Let the computer re-program itself. That doesn't work then take it to the dealer

Spyder Garage

OK, I fixed the Spyder - I bought the Spal fan relay from Evo and installed. While ALL the tupperwear was off I went through and tighned all the bolts/screws that came from the battery - the terminals were a little gunky - I cleaned them, sprayed them with silicone and snugged them real tight. Somewhere in those connections or terminals was causing the FAULT reading. I went on a 200 mile ride yesterday and the bike was perfect

As a side note the Spal fan relay works excellent. I set the low temp setting at 3 bars and the high temp at 4 bars. I got stuck in several traffic jams and sat idling for almost 15 minutes at a road crew flag stop - the bike hovered at 3 to 4 bars while idling or moving very slowly in traffic and always at 3 bars while moving. I used to see 5 to 7 bars in the long traffic jams - great mod

Spyder Garage

I installed the Spal fan relay - while all the tupperwear was off - I tightened and cleaned all the electrical connections I could - well I have had a couple long 200+ mile rides and my Spyder is perfect! There was some lose connection somewhere that I got to.....

As a side note - the Spal fan relay that I bought from EVO works great - I am at 3 bars all the time -- worse case senario I went to 4 bars for less than a minute and back to 3 bars. Also the heat coming out is cooler it is maintaining the cooler temp not trying to cool a heat soaked motor. Great mod

Spyder Garage

Found the problem -While installing the Evo Spal fan relay, I had all the tupperwear off. The terminals were a little gunky and I tightened all the electrical connections - problem solved! Running perfect again.

The Evo fan relay works great now I run at 3 bars all the time - in extreme situations of traffic and prolonged idling it goes to 4 bars for a minute and back to 3 bars. Great mod!

Spyder Garage

please advise where I go to find the Evo SPAL fan relay.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    please advise where I go to find the Evo SPAL fan relay.
    Contact Ken at Evoluzione.net. That's the Evo part of the Evo SPAL fan relay.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Contact Ken at Evoluzione.net. That's the Evo part of the Evo SPAL fan relay.

Yup, it is plug and play - they(Evoluzione) have all the proper fittings in place - my spyder loves to run cool and this relay does the job!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Found the problem -While installing the Evo Spal fan relay, I had all the tupperwear off. The terminals were a little gunky and I tightened all the electrical connections - problem solved! Running perfect again.

The Evo fan relay works great now I run at 3 bars all the time - in extreme situations of traffic and prolonged idling it goes to 4 bars for a minute and back to 3 bars. Great mod!

Donzo: I am about to install the kit, but I read somewhere that if you set it at 3 bars the fan runs all the time. Is that your case?

3WD