Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine Light with no codes

I was out riding today and went about 100 miles, in 93 degree heat. After a short rest stop I got a check engine light. I stopped to check the Spyder out, as best I could on the side of the road, and all seemed OK. The oil and coolant seemed OK, no overheating was evident so I carefully drove home, being alert for anything out of the ordinary. After I got home, and refreshed my memory on the sequence to retrieve codes, found the screen is blank, no codes, even though the check engine light is still flashing. The manual states that this is an engine management component issue. What in the world does that mean? Any ideas?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman12 View Post
    I was out riding today and went about 100 miles, in 93 degree heat. After a short rest stop I got a check engine light. I stopped to check the Spyder out, as best I could on the side of the road, and all seemed OK. The oil and coolant seemed OK, no overheating was evident so I carefully drove home, being alert for anything out of the ordinary. After I got home, and refreshed my memory on the sequence to retrieve codes, found the screen is blank, no codes, even though the check engine light is still flashing. The manual states that this is an engine management component issue. What in the world does that mean? Any ideas?
    What did the thermometer on the bike read? If it was over 121 degrees the bike will do a check engine light for hot intake air.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Thermometer reading

The thermometer read a maximum of 97 degrees. The Spyder is now in my garage and the ambient temperature is down to 80 and it is still indicating check engine.

Spyder Garage

If not done already, unscrew the gas cap and reinstall, making sure it is completely tightened down.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman12 View Post
    The thermometer read a maximum of 97 degrees. The Spyder is now in my garage and the ambient temperature is down to 80 and it is still indicating check engine.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    If not done already, unscrew the gas cap and reinstall, making sure it is completely tightened down.

AJ
    The Spyder has no way of knowing if the gas cap is loose, leaking or not there at all. Many vehicles do but the Spyder does not. So does not generate a fault for that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The Spyder has no way of knowing if the gas cap is loose, leaking or not there at all. Many vehicles do but the Spyder does not. So does not generate a fault for that.
    I have had this happen twice to me. Goes into limp mode with a check engine light. Tighten the gas cap and all is well.
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dginoregon View Post
    I have had this happen twice to me. Goes into limp mode with a check engine light. Tighten the gas cap and all is well.
    So I take it that you retrieved the code. Looked it up and it was for a loose gas cap. If so, what was that code. Or maybe you just guessed and did some stuff and hope it worked.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    So I take it that you retrieved the code. Looked it up and it was for a loose gas cap. If so, what was that code. Or maybe you just guessed and did some stuff and hope it worked.
    I didn't see a code and don't know how to retrieve the meaning if I did. The check eng light just came on and went to limp mode. In both cases In I had just gotten gas.
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Spyder Garage

With the check engine light on and the bike running, do the following and the code will be displayed on the dash:

20031681_10154744644347023_1808008003709072134_n.jpg

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Get the software.

Quote Originally Posted by dginoregon View Post
    I didn't see a code and don't know how to retrieve the meaning if I did. The check eng light just came on and went to limp mode. In both cases In I had just gotten gas.
    There's a program for your phone called Spyder Codes. My phone is an iPhone. Program is available from the App Store. Just search for Spyder Codes. It's wonderful program for Spyder Lovers.
    Jaap Kroes
    Ham Radio Call Sign KR0ES
    2014 Pearl White RTS SE5
    2010 RTS - SM5 , Stock Black