Spyder Garage

Question Using cel phone gps vs zumo 660

I've done a search and althought there are lot's of posts to read, I haven't found what I'm looking for.
    We had a 2011 Spyder RT and used my cel phone with the gps app Co-Pilot installed on it.
    I really like Co-Pilot because I can sit in the house and program a route with many way points on it. I find this great for rides where I want to force the gps to take me the way I want to go.
    Example, winding roads, specific areas etc.
    For about a year and a half now, we have used the phone as our only gps when travelling in Canada and the U.S.A.
    Now we have a 2014 Spyder RT Limited with the Garmin 660 that came with it.
    Although it's nice to have the sound coming through the speakers, I've grown used to not using sound on my gps so it's not an important feature to me.
    MY ISSUE:
    I can't customize the route on the 660 like I can on my phone. I'm not interested in building a route on a computer and transfering it the the 660 because when travelling for an extended time, it's not always possible.
    Has anyone given up on the Zumo and used their cel phone in it's place?
    The only issue I see right now is getting power to the cel phone. It was easy on the 2011 RT because the battery was under the seat.
    I see that LaMonster has a mount that includes a 12 volt outlet but I'd prefer not to buy it because I already have the ram post and the X-Grip from my 2011 Spyder.
    I actually still have an old Garmin Quest 2 that I prefer over the Zumo because I can force the route the same as on Co-Pilot. The downside is that map updates are not available for the Quest and their about 10 years old now so at times, a road is not longer there (no, I haven't ridden over a cliff or into a lake) but there have been times when I've said OH $%&^*

Thanks
    Greg
    Last edited by Wrongway; 07-07-2018 at 05:20 AM.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default I’d add this to the mix

We’ve been using the iPhone as our gps for about 3 years now. Just updated to the iPhone 8 Plus and we use the TomTom Go app. The app is decent all maps are downloaded to the device so no data concerns, but lacks the ability to plan routes easily. As for power, I have Lamont’s dock and it works well in dry weather. We have lately been caught in two separate rain storms and I lost power connectivity during the storms due to the connections getting wet. So I’m working on that now as well. I’m curious to read what other post, and I’m going to look at that copilot app.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    We’ve been using the iPhone as our gps for about 3 years now. Just updated to the iPhone 8 Plus and we use the TomTom Go app. The app is decent all maps are downloaded to the device so no data concerns, but lacks the ability to plan routes easily. As for power, I have Lamont’s dock and it works well in dry weather. We have lately been caught in two separate rain storms and I lost power connectivity during the storms due to the connections getting wet. So I’m working on that now as well. I’m curious to read what other post, and I’m going to look at that copilot app.
    I wondered about the power port getting wet as well. I'm thinking maybe a power port in the glove box and then just running the lightning plug up to the phone when using it.
    The Co-Pilot app also loads all the maps onto the device so not data concerns with it. That's important to me but most importantly is the ability to force my route in advance.
    With Co-Pilot I've actually made routes with 23 forced roads etc on them.
    I'm using an iphone 7 which I bought specifically because it's water resistant for on motorcycles.
    Let me know if you have any questions about the app.
    Co-pilot sends updates on a regular basis and it will show on the app icon on your phone that there's an update there. When you select the app icon the update will start.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I like google maps. That is what I am stuck on.

I do use the 665 on the Spyder for around town,traffic,weather. You can program in a address and follow that route. Not sure if that helps any?

You can program to it stays off Hwys,or look for POI.

The Cell phone stays in the pocket or my Truck. really like the Android Auto feature that on the newer vehicle these days.
    Last edited by trikermutha; 07-07-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Using cel phone gps vs zumo 660

As far as the power source goes if you use marine hardware it seem impervious to the rain. Have both 12 volt ciggarrett type plug in and USB, both working after 4 years and many rain storms. Again; consult the high milage experts as to what they use, Ann and Joe Meyer.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    We have lately been caught in two separate rain storms and I lost power connectivity during the storms due to the connections getting wet. So I’m working on that now as well. I’m curious to read what other post, and I’m going to look at that copilot app.
    Curious how old your dock is? I just got my 2017 F3T and local radio staions in my area suck, IF you can even get reception. I was looking at Lamonster's YouTube videos about his docks so I'd have a power source to listen to my downloaded Amazon playlists or Pandora when I have cell reception.

I think one of the videos said they redesigned the docks because of the moisture issue. I'm certain it was one of his dock videos as I really haven't watched any videos besides his.

For now, I've just been carrying a portable power pack that's about the size of my phone to use to charge when we stop to eat.

I haven't had the need to use GPS yet for a bike trip because my trucker husband is my GPS. When I ride alone I'm just traveling known routes. When/if the need for GPS arises, I will have to use some external source (probably Google Maps on my phone) since Angry Bug doesn't have GPS. Might check out Co-pilot mentioned above.
    Last edited by AngryBug; 07-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I made a point of learning how to create routes in Garmin, TomTom and on the phone with both of those as well as Genius Maps. You can create rouets on any device with stops or waypoints and save it. My first thought is to check Youtube for instructional videos. Play with the device and read the instructions. You don't need a computer to transfer the route to the unit. Haven't used MS Streets & Trips in years.

Just made a video on my iPhone with Garmin App. For the 660 or other Garmin unit you have to use the +/- to zoom in and out and there might be other differences but basically the same when creating a route. If going on a week trip I would make separate routes for each day that can be edited if needed.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I added USB power to my top of dash area using this setup, makes using the phone as GPS easy

Got the Spyder bar, some RAM mount and extensions and a coiled USB charging cord with right angle plug
    And this Motopower 0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit SAE to USB Adapter

Just did a 4,800 mile 10 day trip and phone was always at 100% rain or shine.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I made a point of learning how to create routes in Garmin, TomTom and on the phone with both of those as well as Genius Maps. You can create rouets on any device with stops or waypoints and save it. My first thought is to check Youtube for instructional videos. Play with the device and read the instructions. You don't need a computer to transfer the route to the unit. Haven't used MS Streets & Trips in years.

Just made a video on my iPhone with Garmin App. For the 660 or other Garmin unit you have to use the +/- to zoom in and out and there might be other differences but basically the same when creating a route. If going on a week trip I would make separate routes for each day that can be edited if needed.

So it would appear that you agree that the iphone app you're using is easier to program with multiple via points than the zumo 660.
    I don't have a problem with programming each day of a trip separately because that's what I used to do with my Garmin Quest.
    I just find that it's an awkward process with the zumo because you're using the +/- to zoom in and out.
    Anyway, I'm playing with it to try and get used to it.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default About two years old

I purchased and i stalled my dock about 2 years ago. So, if a redesign has occurred, I am not aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBug View Post
    Curious how old your dock is? I just got my 2017 F3T and local radio staions in my area suck, IF you can even get reception. I was looking at Lamonster's YouTube videos about his docks so I'd have a power source to listen to my downloaded Amazon playlists or Pandora when I have cell reception.

I think one of the videos said they redesigned the docks because of the moisture issue. I'm certain it was one of his dock videos as I really haven't watched any videos besides his.

For now, I've just been carrying a portable power pack that's about the size of my phone to use to charge when we stop to eat.

I haven't had the need to use GPS yet for a bike trip because my trucker husband is my GPS. When I ride alone I'm just traveling known routes. When/if the need for GPS arises, I will have to use some external source (probably Google Maps on my phone) since Angry Bug doesn't have GPS. Might check out Co-pilot mentioned above.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Been playing around with the app "inRoute", like it so far. It'll do for while I ponder if I want to spend the $ on a GPS. I'm eyeballing the 396, in the meantime, there is a curvy route planner in the app that works for what I need.
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Wrongway, I have also been using the MyRoute-App web based, which lets you pick hilliness and windiness when route planning, then exporting that route into a Garmin format that the Garmin will then follow exactly.
    There's also a app for your phone that you can use those web based routes you've planned.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Power

I did the gauge replacement with power adaptors. I installed the cigarette adaptor on one side, dual USB on the other. They are aluminum and very well made. Never a problem with rain.