Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
1. You forgot the MOST IMPORTANT word used PRIOR to the quote: "Use premium unleaded gasoline with an AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of 91, or an RON octane rating of 95," and that word is RECOMMENDED.

4. "To those who run on "Regular" gas: your engine will knock." That is an inaccurate statement as written. It should state, To those who run on "Regular" gas: your engine MAY knock.

I use regular 90% of the time, and NEVER have experienced knocking.

6. There is no EMPIRICAL data that show the use of a lower octane fuel will DAMAGE the 1303 engine! Performance "MAY" be downgraded. I might add I have used Regular in Harley's which also "recommend" 91 and again ONLY performance MAY be altered. No manufacturer to my knowledge has ever stated lower octane will "damage" an engine.

With 52 years of riding, I have never seen so many "obsessed" about such inconsequential stuff as in the Spyder Community.

Each rider must determine for themselves what is best for them and their environment; whether that be tires, tire pressure, oil type and changes, battery life, brake pads, a couple of drops of oil on the pavement, the noise of the fuel pump, the noise of the air suspension, etc. Awareness is a necessity, but people need to WORRY LESS and ENJOY MORE.

Happy New Year!

AJ
I agree that no one should be 'Obsessed' about this subject. Everyone should use whatever octane, brand, etc., they choose. But being informed can help with that choice.

The truth is that your Spyder will never 'Knock' (which is a pre, or early ignition in the cylinder). This is because the computer on your Spyder will compensate for just about any octane deficiency. When the computer senses a knock situation it will retard the ignition timing (when the spark plug fires) as much as needed to prevent knock. Although this is not ideal and you will lose a certain amount of power and performance. It is much better than having the engine knock. This is one reason it is important to use Thermal Paste (not Anti-Seize) on your spark plug threads. Thermal paste helps keep the spark plug from overheating and creating a knock situation.

Before computers were able to compensate, pre-ignition or knock was a potentially devastating possibility. Here are some results of knock. But I want to re-emphasize that this WILL NOT HAPPEN to your Spyder regardless of what octane you use.