Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I cheerfully stand corrected...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    You have that almost correct. The sales department is the one that promises everything, even the things it can't possibly do (like fly). The marketing department designs all the beautiful brochures that tell exactly what the product can do, and then the bean counters tear their hair out trying to figure out how the sales promises, and all those expensive brochures that people throw away immediately upon receipt, are going to bankrupt them!
    Still not right. Marketing decides what market segment they're going after, with which machines, in what configuration and in what quantities and at what price point. Accounting figures out what the profit margins are going to be, based on marketing's assumptions and historical and current cost projections for labor and materials, additional investment in tooling, etc. Marketing's expenses don't figure into that equation at all, so no, bean counters could care less about the cost of brochures (which is a miniscule part of marketing's operating budget).

Once the C-suite signs off on the marketing and production plans, and the product shows up on dealer's floors, then the dealer does its best to sell. Consumer sales takes place at the dealer level, not the manufacturer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Still not right. Marketing decides what market segment they're going after, with which machines, in what configuration and in what quantities and at what price point. Accounting figures out what the profit margins are going to be, based on marketing's assumptions and historical and current cost projections for labor and materials, additional investment in tooling, etc. Marketing's expenses don't figure into that equation at all, so no, bean counters could care less about the cost of brochures (which is a miniscule part of marketing's operating budget).

Once the C-suite signs off on the marketing and production plans, and the product shows up on dealer's floors, then the dealer does its best to sell. Consumer sales takes place at the dealer level, not the manufacturer.
    An additional correction: engineering has to figure out how to do what marketing and product promised it will do.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    An additional correction: engineering has to figure out how to do what marketing and product promised it will do.
    ...And how many of their souls will need to be sold; in order to accomplish the impossible!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope, that discussion between design and engineering takes place in conjunction with marketing's development of a plan. Early on. Before the marketing and operational plans are developed and approved by the C-suite. That's why there is such a long lead time on new models. Like an entry-level Spyder at $10k.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But the Marketing folks don't speak the same language as any of the other Departments...
    I think that all of the translators will killed, in an attempt to prevent any corporate espionage shenanigans.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But the Marketing folks don't speak the same language as any of the other Departments...
    That's one of the things that creates the potential for stress and dysfunction within a corporation, which has to be managed by the C-suite. Organizational Development 101.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

WOW !! There is absolutely no way to make us Spyder people happy !! There will always be someone unhappy about something no matter what BRP does. The new dash sounds pretty impressive and even the radio sounds like it has improved greatly. This coming from a guy who doesn't even listen to the radio, don't care foe the distraction.

Nicely done BRP !!

Spyder Garage

Nope, that discussion between design and engineering takes place in conjunction with marketing's development of a plan. Early on. Before the marketing and operational plans are developed and approved by the C-suite. That's why there is such a long lead time on new models. Like an entry-level Spyder at $10k.

1023396766.gif
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That depends on what you are selling. BTW BRP has a sales team responsible for "selling" units to those dealers, so there are sales going at the manufacturer level as well.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That depends on what you are selling. BTW BRP has a sales team responsible for "selling" units to those dealers, so there are sales going at the manufacturer level as well.
    I thought we were talking about Spyders ....

The comments about sales pitches seemed geared to consumers' view of the sales function, so I clarified by saying 'consumer sales'.

BTW, I don't buy into any of the denigrating comments about marketing, engineering, sales and accounting functions. They are all important to the success of BRP or any other manufacturing company.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff View Post
    WOW !! There is absolutely no way to make us Spyder people happy !! There will always be someone unhappy about something no matter what BRP does. The new dash sounds pretty impressive and even the radio sounds like it has improved greatly. This coming from a guy who doesn't even listen to the radio, don't care foe the distraction.

Nicely done BRP !!
    Thank you...

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations Lamont

Your thread has been “Jacked”
    Last edited by Brentc; 09-26-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I thought we were talking about Spyders ....

The comments about sales pitches seemed geared to consumers' view of the sales function, so I clarified by saying 'consumer sales'.

BTW, I don't buy into any of the denigrating comments about marketing, engineering, sales and accounting functions. They are all important to the success of BRP or any other manufacturing company.
    All accept marketing!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Tour thread has been “Jacked”
    Ain't that the truth, and it isn't even a tour thread! It is a review thread!

Spyder Garage

Have they gone to LED headlights yet? And, what does the smoked lens do to light output?
    No LED headlights and the smoke is not on the lens but the reflective part of the lens so it has little to no effect on light output.

I see from the blog pictures that there is a Bluetooth menu and the write ups say it is Bluetooth capable. Will this require additional hardware similar to the current rt line up that requires a separate Bluetooth transmitter or is it ready to go out of the gate? Just pair to my Bluetooth headset and viola!
    It's ready to go out the gate. No other hardware needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    Any idea how they will update GPS in the future?
    Not sure if I would like the joy stick , might be difficult to operate while driving. Like the smoked lens !
    My guess is the GPS will be a download either from a dealer or app.
    The joystick felt great to me and will be much better than massing buttons like we have now.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Very cool, I asked and my dealer said they have a couple 2018s on order. So I’ll be back to play when they arrive. Sounds like some nice new additions to the Spyders
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Guess my attempt at humor was a little too subtle.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very cool, I asked and my dealer said they have a couple 2018s on order. So I’ll be back to play when they arrive. Sounds like some nice new additions to the Spyders
    Brent,
    Are you considering an RT-L with the Black Trim?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Guess my attempt at humor was a little too subtle.
    Sorry, I didn't catch that. Sometimes I'm a little too serious for my own good.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Two years left on warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Brent,
    Are you considering an RT-L with the Black Trim?

Ive got two years left on my brp warranty so I’m thinking about a 2020 model! Give brp time to work the kinks out on the new stuff.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BEANS

Sorry, Mike, but as a former bean counter I can assure you that accounting doesn't make marketing decisions.
    Granted.... however these were Canadian bean counters ............ PS sorry if my post offended you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Granted.... however these were Canadian bean counters ... PS sorry if my post offended you
    No offense taken or given I hope.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All accept marketing!
    Accept - or - Except ?

Just curious...