Spyder Garage

Default Would this hurt??

I have a '17 F3T, just bought the BRP hitch and wiring harness. The problem is I have a Bushtec Roadstar with a 6 pin plug. I've got the trailer lights and turn signals to work, but I don't know what to do with the separate wire for the brake lights. Would it hurt to tap into the the brake wire before it enters the module and run the wire down beside the 4 pin square plug and a wire from the trailer to connect into this new wire?? It would mean an extra wire to connect, but that's not a big problem for me. Any thoughts??

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are using a module from brp then the brake and turn signal are together on the same wire. If you have dual tail lights on each side, one for turn and one for brake, and they are LED you should be able to wire them together. PM me if I'm too vague on this.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    If you are using a module from brp then the brake and turn signal are together on the same wire. If you have dual tail lights on each side, one for turn and one for brake, and they are LED you should be able to wire them together. PM me if I'm too vague on this.
    I've got separate wires for brake, running, and turn signals on the trailer. I wanting to tie into the single brake wire going before it goes into the module and then running that wire for the brake lights on the trailer.

Spyder Garage

Slider you have to buy seperate harness isolator and conversion 4-5 the extra wire is for the inside lighting ordered mine they'll be here tuesday

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester View Post
    Slider you have to buy seperate harness isolator and conversion 4-5 the extra wire is for the inside lighting ordered mine they'll be here tuesday
    I got the Hopkins converter and installed led lights. Don't have any lights other than markers. I think I might have a bad converter. What converter you getting?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sliderrj View Post
    I got the Hopkins converter and installed led lights. Don't have any lights other than markers. I think I might have a bad converter. What converter you getting?
    What Hopkins converter did you buy?

You have two choices. Coming from the BRP four pin plug are ground, tail, right turn & stop, and left turn & stop; four wires. You need a converter to take the brake/turn wires and convert them to right turn, left turn, stop, i.e. 2 to 3 wire convertor.

Your second option is to replace the BRP modulator on the Spyder with a six wire to five wire trailer isolator. The sixth wire coming into the isolator is battery power.

As to the sixth wire on the trailer, it is for interior light or something like that, right? Unless you are handy with automotive wiring forget about using it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sliderrj View Post
    I have a '17 F3T, just bought the BRP hitch and wiring harness. The problem is I have a Bushtec Roadstar with a 6 pin plug. I've got the trailer lights and turn signals to work, but I don't know what to do with the separate wire for the brake lights. Would it hurt to tap into the the brake wire before it enters the module and run the wire down beside the 4 pin square plug and a wire from the trailer to connect into this new wire?? It would mean an extra wire to connect, but that's not a big problem for me. Any thoughts??

The Smaller of the two RED wires going into the trailer module is the brake wire. You can wire into that. Worked for me to wire in a third brake light.

Chris