Spyder Garage

Default Brake Paddle Question

I am not sure if it's me or others feel the same way. The brake paddle seems to be too far back. It seems like it should be forward about 4 to 6 inches. I am only 5'5" and wondering how the tall riders deal with this. Besides enlarging the brake paddle what else can be done?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE PEDAL

Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    I am not sure if it's me or others feel the same way. The brake paddle seems to be too far back. It seems like it should be forward about 4 to 6 inches. I am only 5'5" and wondering how the tall riders deal with this. Besides enlarging the brake paddle what else can be done?
    4 TO 6 inches !!!! you will have to buy an F-3 to solve this problem ........ jmho...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'4", use a Comfort Seat, have big feet and when it comes time to brake I just move my foot to the left and press the pedal. Moving it forward 4"-6" would, IMO require a redesign of the right side Tupperware at minimum. No problems for me in 20,000+ miles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're only 5'5": moving the pedal that far forward, would probably not work well...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Should just take some getting used too. I am 5'8" and it it right where I want it!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post

Try refinedcycle.com. They have an extension that puts the pedal in front of the floorboard. Not sure of safety but it seems to work. YMMV.

Spyder Garage

Well, if no one else having issues then it must be me, like "Pirate looks at" said I just need to get use to it. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you looking to stretch your feet out in front of you?
    I got these highway pegs from Baker Built...

Highway Pegs 01.jpg

With my feet up on them; I can still use my heel, to activate the brakes.
    Would that work for you?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Are you looking to stretch your feet out in front of you?
    I got these highway pegs from Baker Built...

Highway Pegs 01.jpg

With my feet up on them; I can still use my heel, to activate the brakes.
    Would that work for you?

I haven't put any highway pegs on yet, it is on my list. Thanks

Spyder Garage

I am also 5'5". Have driven GS, RS, and various RT's. I did modify all seats on mine by going to either Corbin or BRP Comfort. Both moved the body positions back about two inches.

I worked with the OEM footpegs on the GS/RS models and had no issues with the brake pedal position.

When I got into RT's, I added floorboards on both the 2010 and 2011. I did add the larger brake pedal to both of these models.

My 2014 RT came with floorboards, but I did replace the pedal with a bigger pad.

I have test sat the F3 and even supposedly adjusted for me, I don't like the brake pedal reach. I have learned to adjust seating position due to hip and back issues. I sometimes use either an AirHawk pad or a sheepskin pad to adjust my seating position.

I want to be able to instantly go from floorboard to brake if needed. A 5" - 6" move seems a bit much--to me anyway.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am also 5'5". Have driven GS, RS, and various RT's. I did modify all seats on mine by going to either Corbin or BRP Comfort. Both moved the body positions back about two inches.

I worked with the OEM footpegs on the GS/RS models and had no issues with the brake pedal position.

When I got into RT's, I added floorboards on both the 2010 and 2011. I did add the larger brake pedal to both of these models.

My 2014 RT came with floorboards, but I did replace the pedal with a bigger pad.

I have test sat the F3 and even supposedly adjusted for me, I don't like the brake pedal reach. I have learned to adjust seating position due to hip and back issues. I sometimes use either an AirHawk pad or a sheepskin pad to adjust my seating position.

I want to be able to instantly go from floorboard to brake if needed. A 5" - 6" move seems a bit much--to me anyway.

Let us know what you decide.
    Thanks akspyderman, I will look into these upgrades.

Spyder Garage

My wife is 4'10" and the brakes works perfectly for her. I am 5'8" and think it is too far forward. I am used to a more vertical riding position.

There may be some difference in the positioning on the RT versus the ST.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Pretty close. Enough to not be a real issue.

By the way, I thought you had me on ignore?
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

I too find the brake pedal kind of awkward on my RT and have been experimenting. I first put on the larger brake pad but find it in the way. I then bought the extension from refindedcycle (BPE2). I installed the extension along with the larger pad. This puts the brake pedal totally in front of the floor board. If I stay with this arrangement I will have to put on a heavier spring. Also have thought about doing highway pegs and using my heal as stated above.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wrb3004 View Post
    I too find the brake pedal kind of awkward on my RT and have been experimenting. I first put on the larger brake pad but find it in the way. I then bought the extension from refindedcycle (BPE2). I installed the extension along with the larger pad. This puts the brake pedal totally in front of the floor board. If I stay with this arrangement I will have to put on a heavier spring. Also have thought about doing highway pegs and using my heal as stated above.

Good input thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heavier Spring??

I was looking at adding the BPE2 from refinedcycle and I saw your comment about "heavier spring" can you elaborate. Why? What kind of replacement spring? and where would I get it? (sorry for the barrage of questions)

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by wrb3004 View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by southjerseyrider View Post
    I was looking at adding the BPE2 from refinedcycle and I saw your comment about "heavier spring" can you elaborate. Why? What kind of replacement spring? and where would I get it? (sorry for the barrage of questions)

Ed
    It's actually a process orf adding a second spring...
    You can hook it onto the actuating rod (After adding a thin washer with a hole to connect it to....), and then you just need to pick a solid spot up under the bike...
    If you search for the thread; there are pictures that will explain everything.