Spyder Garage

Default Dirty Brake Fluid

Good Day all

I have been changing brake fluid every two years on motorcycles for over 35 years.

So since my is two years old, I changed the brake fluid. I have never seen fluid this dirty.
    Did BRP use the cheapest brake fluid or did the brake system on the Spyders have a lot of contaminates in the lines.

Anyway, used a syringe to draw out the fluid from the master cylinder, filled with fresh Synthetic Dot 4.
    Used a vacuum tool to draw brake fluid out of the caliper bleeders until the fluid ran clear.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have heard this before about the brakes. I don't recall if a cause has ever been found, but since you're changing the fluid, and never noticed a loss in effectiveness:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kywinger View Post
    Good Day all

I have been changing brake fluid every two years on motorcycles for over 35 years.

So since my is two years old, I changed the brake fluid. I have never seen fluid this dirty.
    Did BRP use the cheapest brake fluid or did the brake system on the Spyders have a lot of contaminates in the lines.

Anyway, used a syringe to draw out the fluid from the master cylinder, filled with fresh Synthetic Dot 4.
    Used a vacuum tool to draw brake fluid out of the caliper bleeders until the fluid ran clear.

Like mine? (the one in the middle)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The master cylinder and some of the lines are far too close to the exhaust. The bikes are also a bit heavy and work the brakes.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

not one person said the obvious about dirty fluid. WASH IT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Mine has never been that dirty...even the clutch on the manual that gets a workout and the o rings started to deteriorate never got that dirty. But it is an RS. I also drain the resivoir and refill with clean fluid from time to time.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default dirty brake fluid

Yep, blackest nasty looking stuff @ 36K after 2 years. Clutch also looked bad.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I did mine on my 2014 RT and I was horrified at how bad it looked. I did it at the manual's recommended time and distance, which I now believe is too long and should be done annually if ridden frequently.

I researched the topic some and that tending to indicate that because the master cylinder is low (relatively speaking) and under the seat a lot of road grime accumulates there. This is combined with the type of brake system they use, which is unsealed, this also allows the dust and ambient moisture to wick into the brake fluid.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I was one of the first to notice and post about nasty fluid I found while doing a complete flush on our 2014 RTS before the recommended mileage or calendar time.

Most people blew it off and raved about how they had many, many years and the brakes worked fine and no flush was required.

The jar on the right is brake fluid @ around 22 months from new. The others, one is new fluid the other I forgot. Looking closer at the photo, the left jar has been degassed and has no bubbles entrapped in the fluid, the middle fluid is cloudy on account of entrapped micro bubbles.

Those looking into the brake system reservoirs and seeing clean fluid, then assuming all is clean in the system will be in for an expensive lesson. The fluid in the reservoirs on our Spyder was clean, the jar with black muck is what came out of the system...
    Last edited by PMK; 03-31-2017 at 10:41 AM.