Spyder Garage

Unhappy 2009 can am not moving

hey everyone. My 2009 se5 went crazy on the way home yesterday and started reving up on it's own and would not change gears. I was stuck in traffic and had to break while the bike tried to go, so it was on high revs of about 5000 and trying to jump forward while I was pressing on the break trying not to hit the guy in front of me. It started overheating but cooled down when I moved. Now when I roll on the throttle the revs go up but the bike moves very slowly. Any thought? Is the clutch messed up?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oh no.....

Not much to go on as far as the revving but if you now are back to normal on that issue and you roll on the throttle and don't move/ slow I would say there is a clutch problem. Unlike the manual your clutch is fully engaged at around 3,400 rpm's...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Chupaca

Thanks for the reply. It was not doing that before, it used to take off like a missile, not it takes it's time and won't match the revs. There is only on dealership in the whole of Richmond and they can't see it till the end of the month, that means it's going to sit in my garage for a month almost and I have to drive my car in this beautiful riding weather. I am very tempted to replace the clutch on my own, I just want to make sure I don't change the clutch and come to find out that this was not the problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well....

How many miles are on the clock..? May be time for a new one anyway. More than likely the plates are going or gone and you could get the barrett package cheaper than stock and much better. As for the rev's ...check the vacuum hoses short small ones on the left side of the engine..

20150726_160929.jpg and regardless change them for silicone hoses 4mm...

Quote Originally Posted by Joekhoury View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It was not doing that before, it used to take off like a missile, not it takes it's time and won't match the revs. There is only on dealership in the whole of Richmond and they can't see it till the end of the month, that means it's going to sit in my garage for a month almost and I have to drive my car in this beautiful riding weather. I am very tempted to replace the clutch on my own, I just want to make sure I don't change the clutch and come to find out that this was not the problem.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have 17,000 miles on it. Do they need to be replaced that often?
    I looked at Barrett they don't have them for the SE5, only the SM5. Are they one and the same?
    Thanks for the tip about the revs, will do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

hey everyone. My 2009 se5 went crazy on the way home yesterday and started reving up on it's own and would not change gears. I was stuck in traffic and had to break while the bike tried to go, so it was on high revs of about 5000 and trying to jump forward while I was pressing on the break trying not to hit the guy in front of me. It started overheating but cooled down when I moved. Now when I roll on the throttle the revs go up but the bike moves very slowly. Any thought? Is the clutch messed up?
    Weird as it sounds battery and nanny issues can make these things go into high rev I don't know how since your bike and mine are cable throttle and carb but mine has done this a few times I think it has something to do with nanny and the lawyers. My take is that since the dps needs so much power they make the bike rev to make more juice to feed the dps so you will still be able to steer AS WITH EVERTHING ON A SPYDER BECAUSE OF THE CAN BUS SYSTEM CHECK BATTERY AND ALL CONNECTIONS EVEN IF IT CRANKS GOOD AND SEEMS FINE
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

At 17,000 miles, I would say not the clutch. Unless, you have been doing most of your shifting below 3000 rpm's. Sorry that the dealer is going to make you wait three weeks for service. I would recommend a talk with the owner and see if you can get the service date sooner.

Sorry to say it, but some dealers just don't get what customer service is about.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

r1100 rider, it was the battery that started all that. The connection was not secure as it should be, I found this out when I got home and took the side panel off.

askspyderman, I usually shift between 4000-5000 rpms. I am just afraid that the clutch got damaged by the high revs against the hard breaking I was doing. I am going to call the owner tomorrow and talk to them. The waiting is upsetting me more than the fact that the spyder is now broken. If they don't move the appointment up sooner I will just replace the clutch myself.

Spyder Garage

It's probably the centrifugal clutch assembly that is damage, not the main clutch. But finding the cause to the hi-rev failure is critical.

http://www.powersportsdiscount.com/o...cf59f89/clutch
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

My friend lost the clutch on her 2010 RT with less than 10,000 miles. Did you happen to change the oil recently?
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

r1100 rider, it was the battery that started all that. The connection was not secure as it should be, I found this out when I got home and took the side panel off.

askspyderman, I usually shift between 4000-5000 rpms. I am just afraid that the clutch got damaged by the high revs against the hard breaking I was doing. I am going to call the owner tomorrow and talk to them. The waiting is upsetting me more than the fact that the spyder is now broken. If they don't move the appointment up sooner I will just replace the clutch myself.
    I'm glad to hear that you found one of the problems...
    Please let us know how this works out, and good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Check front drive sprocket splines

Maybe the splines are gone in the front drive belt sprocket...This was a problem early on...larryd

Spyder Garage

Give 5000 - 5500 a try. You may like it a little better.
    I believe that the red line on the 998 is about 9,500. Your high revs probably did not get that high very often.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Time for the exorcism

Spyder Garage

I would check the splines on the front sprocket. That happened to mine. The bolt that holds the front sprocket in came out and the sprocket shifted. This caused the sound to wear away.