Spyder Garage

Default Trans Canada Highway

I'm assuming I will still be healthy enough come June's Homecoming (FYI, I'm a senior ciitzen but fairly healthy) that after, rather than ryde straight back to Northeast Louisiana, I'll ride across Canada to Vancouver, THEN head south east home. My route from here via I-20 to Birminghan then other interstate highways to Fall River MA for a one day family visit then on to Sherbrooke (avoiding Boston, New York and the other mega cities). I've rented a chalet on Lac Brompton for 3 days. It is about 1800 miles from here to Valcourt, 3000 from Montreal to Vancouver and then a short 2600 or so back home. An adventure for sure. Three weeks unless it's more. I kinda have to do it. Sort of like 'keeping up with the Joneses.' If someone is going that way, it would be good to have company. Otherwise it's solo (this year I rode 22K miles solo). By the way, watch the movie "One Week" (That was a crooked route he took), currently streaming on Netflix. And as I said, it's a plan. And plans change. But...I'm 90% serious. Google Earth close views of the entire route show it to be interstate like for the most part.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OUTSTANDING
    IMG_1301.JPG

Spyder Garage

If you can do 352 miles per day for 21 days, you have a lot more endurance than I. My long trip this year was Nashville, TN to Prescott, AZ, then to Bonneville Speed Week in Wendover, UT, then back to Nashville. I covered 5,200 miles over 23 days, an average of 226/day. I did spend a couple minimal ride days in Prescott and Bonneville, and the great majority two lane roads, and averaged 226/day. I also usually ride the speed limit or below.
    My brother and I have taken long rides for the last 16 years. After we select our destination, I usually prepare a detailed itinerary, listing every road change and planned stops. I still work part time and need to know when to start back for home. Our longest was Newfoundland and back through Sioux Saint Marie, MI. In planning, I try to limit the daily average to around 200, which allows time for stops.
    if you are set on making this trip and get tired, you can always store your ryde and fly home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    I'm assuming I will still be healthy enough come June's Homecoming (FYI, I'm a senior ciitzen but fairly healthy) that after, rather than ryde straight back to Northeast Louisiana, I'll ride across Canada to Vancouver, THEN head south east home. My route from here via I-20 to Birminghan then other interstate highways to Fall River MA for a one day family visit then on to Sherbrooke (avoiding Boston, New York and the other mega cities). I've rented a chalet on Lac Brompton for 3 days. It is about 1800 miles from here to Valcourt, 3000 from Montreal to Vancouver and then a short 2600 or so back home. An adventure for sure. Three weeks unless it's more. I kinda have to do it. Sort of like 'keeping up with the Joneses.' If someone is going that way, it would be good to have company. Otherwise it's solo (this year I rode 22K miles solo). By the way, watch the movie "One Week" (That was a crooked route he took), currently streaming on Netflix. And as I said, it's a plan. And plans change. But...I'm 90% serious. Google Earth close views of the entire route show it to be interstate like for the most part.
    7400 miles in three weeks. I went from home to Alaska and back and took six weeks. But the first two were really leisurely, seeing the sights on the way to Washington state. Sounds like a great trip. Don't forget to smell the roses.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We are going to Valcourt but have decided to buy our gas by the gallon and stay south of the border.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Trans Canadian Hwy

Go for it as you will see some beautiful country. Just allow extra time so if you need it you will have it. We are leaving
    Vancouver Island on the West and traveling to the reunion on this Hwy. Coming back we may deviate. But we have a small
    camper and will be pulling the Spyder. We also plan to go more East to vacation after the meet. Enjoy Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Think positive,

Good luck & good health !

Spyder Garage

You will have a ton of fun! My norm as a solo ryder is about 800 km (600 miles).
    The non-Interstate (two lane only, not four lane with a median in between) part of the Trans Canada stretches from around Sudbury through to almost Winnipeg, and again from around Lake Louise to Kamloops. Do not be deterred; there are many spots along those stretches that allow periodic passing.

One small cautionary note. The "top" of Lake Superior can be chilly at that time of the year. Sault Ste Marie through to Thunder Bay, Ontario. If you don't have a heated jacket, vest or pants, do ensure that you have extra clothes. In the Rogers Pass area, from Banff through to Sicamous, you'll also want to watch for chilly weather at that time of the year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    You will have a ton of fun! My norm as a solo ryder is about 800 km (600 miles).
    The non-Interstate (two lane only, not four lane with a median in between) part of the Trans Canada stretches from around Sudbury through to almost Winnipeg, and again from around Lake Louise to Kamloops. Do not be deterred; there are many spots along those stretches that allow periodic passing.

One small cautionary note. The "top" of Lake Superior can be chilly at that time of the year. Sault Ste Marie through to Thunder Bay, Ontario. If you don't have a heated jacket, vest or pants, do ensure that you have extra clothes. In the Rogers Pass area, from Banff through to Sicamous, you'll also want to watch for chilly weather at that time of the year.

thanks for the information. I have been seeking first hand info and so, again, thanks. I DO have all the heated and weather gear so should be OK. I've spent a lot of time searching historical weather sites for 'average' temps and weather on the travel dates. No extremes were noted, though some cold days but not as much rain as I had expected. I'm accustomed to 600 mile days so if I can get 500, that would be fine. There are some stretches that are far between civilization points (hotels, gas). I carry a one gallon spun aluminum gas tank in the frunk. I very recently rode a long stretch and finally, finally, found gas. I put in 6.7 gallons in the RT. I actually wanted to push and see how far I could travel when the 'you need gas dude' light illuminated. About 32 miles. I did slow to 60 and it was mostly flat freeway with no traffic. Last time I pushed a bike, my K1200LT ran out of gas in my driveway. I think I've used up all my luck. But the adventure remains to be adventured.

Spyder Garage

thanks for the information. I have been seeking first hand info and so, again, thanks. I DO have all the heated and weather gear so should be OK. I've spent a lot of time searching historical weather sites for 'average' temps and weather on the travel dates. No extremes were noted, though some cold days but not as much rain as I had expected. I'm accustomed to 600 mile days so if I can get 500, that would be fine. There are some stretches that are far between civilization points (hotels, gas). I carry a one gallon spun aluminum gas tank in the frunk. I very recently rode a long stretch and finally, finally, found gas. I put in 6.7 gallons in the RT. I actually wanted to push and see how far I could travel when the 'you need gas dude' light illuminated. About 32 miles. I did slow to 60 and it was mostly flat freeway with no traffic. Last time I pushed a bike, my K1200LT ran out of gas in my driveway. I think I've used up all my luck. But the adventure remains to be adventured.
    GREAT! If you need any other tips/tricks just let me know. Hope to actually MEET you in Valcourt in June!

Spyder Garage

Since you will be going through Birmingham, you might want to check this out. I've been there twice and will probably go back again.

http://www.barbermuseum.org/

Spyder Garage

If you have time I would recommend taking Highway 16 (Yellowhead) from Portage la Prairie, Manitoba through Saskatoon, Edmonton to Jasper, Alberta then going south to Banff and reconnecting to the trans Canada there. More scenic than going through Regina and Calgary.

Spyder Garage

Searched Netflix for the movie"One Week"and couldn't find it.Is there more to the title than that?
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default One week

Try youtube, I watched it there last night.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by geoshmo View Post
    If you have time I would recommend taking Highway 16 (Yellowhead) from Portage la Prairie, Manitoba through Saskatoon, Edmonton to Jasper, Alberta then going south to Banff and reconnecting to the trans Canada there. More scenic than going through Regina and Calgary.
    Used to live in Edmonton, the Yellowhead Highway also has Way less traffic. Hinton to Kamloops is a Great ride!

Neil
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    Used to live in Edmonton, the Yellowhead Highway also has Way less traffic. Hinton to Kamloops is a Great ride!

Neil
    Yes that is a wonderful ride. We rode that way in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Default Trip in June 2017

Well I hopened the transcanada hyw is good I haven't been on it for 40 years and my wife and me are planning a trip across it we have six / seven weeks to do it from hamilton to Vancouver then along coast to states and then back through states back home
    2016 Rt , Pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    Well I hopened the transcanada hyw is good I haven't been on it for 40 years and my wife and me are planning a trip across it we have six / seven weeks to do it from hamilton to Vancouver then along coast to states and then back through states back home
    Trans Canada highway is fine out this way. Just really flat and boring from Winnipeg to Calgary is all.

Spyder Garage

Default Trans Canada Highway Options

Quote Originally Posted by geoshmo View Post
    I would have to agree with that. There are actually trees and bushes and towns to see on the route mentioned (above). Another WONDERFUL option is to go on the route above to Jasper, then take the Icefields Parkway from Jasper to Lake Louise. What a thrill!

http://www.icefieldsparkway.ca/
    Last edited by MurrayBrown; 12-07-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    You will see a LOT of differences from 4 decades ago! The highway is great all the way.

Spyder Garage

I think I will try that hwy 16

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Rt , Pearl white