Spyder Garage

Default Drive belt vibration, my impression !

So I've noticed a vibration for some time in that area between decelerating and acellerating while cruising along... Read a number of the forums here on Spyder Lovers and decided a Belt tensioner might be required. Read all the forums and watched a few of the YouTube videos on the smoothspyder belt tensioner referenced in a number of the posts... Before pulling the trigger on the $295 modification I decided to talk to a couple buddies who own spyders (both have 2013 ST's). I checked the tension on their belt as compared to mine and noticed a huge difference. I used a 10lb tension meter and had almost 7/8" of belt deflection measured at the lower center of the belt. My buddy's spyder had about a 1/4" deflection. That's whatwe in the business call a "clue". I reference the service manual which was about useless. It requires a special electronic meter, inputting some parameters and thumping the belt to get a measurement reading. Performing that task three times and taking an average.... Not very straight forward !!!
    Fortunatly though, the adjustment procedure was straight forward and pretty darn easy. I removed the cotter key, loosened the axle nut, And jacked the bike to get the the rear wheel off the deck. Made equal adjustments to the left and right adjustment screws to tighten the belt (1/2 turn each side made in 1/4 turn increments) and tightened the axle nut (96ftlbs) and gave the wheel a spin to check belt travel alignment. Everything looked good so I did final assembly and checked belt tension with the tension meter and I had exactly 1/4" deflection. Next I went for a test ride. HUGE IMPROVEMENT !!! Belt vibration has decreased significantly and I no longer feel a after market tensioner is necessary....
    Last edited by MDBrion; 07-01-2016 at 09:18 AM.
    2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

BajaRon has the proper tool for $20. You can find him on the home page as he is a supporter here. Great guy to deal with.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Overly complex

ok, I looked Over the products and reviewed the process... It sure seems overly complex and ridiculously subject to induced error in making the measurement.... A 10lb tension meter and a a set belt deflection seems a much more accurate method Of obtaining a repeatable adjustment. I've used the simple spring tension meter on motorcycle drive belts for years without issue.
    2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

After a little over a year on my 2012 RS I too could feel quite a bit of belt vibration... with the machine stopped after a ride I checked my belt and I could just about pull it off the sprocket! That was WAY too loose!

I don't know if the belt started out that loose or if they just stretch out a bit after a couple thousand miles, but like you I snugged mine up about 1/2 turn each side of the rear adjusters and using the 2-finger test can just get it twisted 90 degrees with 2 fingers now (I've read on here before it's a non-scientific but not bad technique for quickly checking/setting belt tension when you don't have a measurement tool on handy).

Don't really see the need for an aftermarket belt tensioner either now.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Default Simple Tension meter

To get the most life out of your belt the simple tension meter is what i believe should be every DIYers basic tool for performing this task. It an easy adjustment and one that can improve your ride by reducing belt vibration and extend the life of your drive belt.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08...ensioner+gauge
    2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

I got mine from bajaron and I'll say it's the most important tool I have and it stays with the spyder at all times. If you're going to get one I'd get it from him he gets his stuff to you faster than you'd believe. I wouldn't trust a finger adjustment on a belt that is that expensive when for $20 you know it's right. Imho

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just wonder why one needs an adjustment tool, particularly as a carry on board item. Logically why would one need to regularly adjust this belt if it was done right to start with, the claim being that it is necessary to adjust to a correct tension to increase it's life? So it's done right why would it need to be done more regularly as implied?

Why would a non slipping belt wear more at slightly less tension? as I believe it is under quite some tension to avoid the belt vibration and not to prolong it's life? Surely the greater tension is just that, greater stress on the belt. There is talk about this being of such tension that going past that compromises the bearings at either end.

It seems to me that a belt tensioner should have been standard equipment, as the belt problems noted could have been foreseen in the design phase due to it's large length. I'm with the finger method - simple.

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT and my 2015 F3 Both have Some vibration at different RPM's BUT I'm listening to Music in my Ear Buds and really don't hardly Notice it?
    Both my machines have the Belt tension on the Low Side (160 pounds on the ground) and I'm Not paying a Red Cent to Improve the condition!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!