Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Doc - Riverside

Default Belt tension APP for Iphone,Ipad and Ipod touch

Thanks to SL Member "larryd" he sent me a interesting link to Gates Belts for Bicycles. They use carbon flat belts on some high end bicycles like we have on the SPYDER. As I have a Gates 507C sonic meter, an IPOD Touch for music on my SPYDER and an IPAD ( don't have a IPHONE) it was time to install the APP on both and head for the shop for some testing.

The APP only measures Frequency of the belt when it is tapped. The Gates Meter also has the ability to measure Frequency. So with the rear wheel jacked up and the mic for the Gate Meter positioned 1/2 inch off the belt with my jig I was able to tap the belt with a small ball peen hammer, take a measurement and do a comparison. First I did the Gates Meter to the IPOD and then I did the same for the IPAD

Gates 507C IPOD Gates 507C IPAD
    28.2hz 28.7hz 28.2hz 28.0hz
    28.2hz 28.9hz 28.2hz 28.3hz
    28.2hz 28.5hz 28.4hz 28.4hz

As you can see the data collected looks very good. Gates recommends that a external mic be used instead of the built in mic. The type of mic I would suggest would be on that has a long cable attached that plugs in to the device. That way you can make some kind of jig to hold the mic 1/2 inch away from the belt. This will give you a very consistent reading as you rotate the wheel to a new position and tape it ( the mic doesn't move between readings) .

The only draw back to using the APP is it will not measure a frequency below 20hz. This will only effect the minimum tension for doing the belt tension spec of 450n +/- 150n.

OK !!!!!!!!!!!! Now we have a way of reading the frequency of the belt when tapped what can we do with it.

The formula in the Gates Manual for figuring the Tension of the belt in Newtons is: TNewtons= 4 x M x W x S2 x F2 x 1e10-9 . Well I would suspect that Bob is totally lost and is ready to go find a good book, But bare with me Grasshopper. There are now two belts that are now used on the SPYDER. One belt covers the V-Twin engine/Drive train and the other is for the 1330 engine/Drive train.

Engine Mass (M) Width (W) Span (S)
    V-Twin 8.4 g/m 28.0 mm 1028 mm
    ACE 1330 8.0 g/m 28.0 mm 980 mm

The above values have to be programed into the Gates meter so the Tech at the dealer can tension your belt properly according to the spec for your SPYDER. But what would happen if the wrong set was selected for your belt and the tech tensioned your belt anyhow. Roger and I did an experiment as he has a 2010 RT and a Gates Meter and I have the 2014 RT and a gates meter. This is the results we got using the above parameters.

V-Twin (Span 1028mm) ACE 1330 (Span 980mm)
    Roger 2010 RT 535n 431n
    Doc 2014 RT 1054n 886n

Roger's belt spec is 450n +/-150n and you can see that his belt is in spec using both parameters. My belt spec is 1050n +/-150n is in spec using the V-Twin belt data but just below spec for the ACE 1330 belt. The data is close and mistakes can be made setting up the meter and you wouldn't know it.

OK now lets really make this simple so all you have to do is get a frequency reading and convert it to Tension in Newtons. If we plug the above belt data into the formula we come up with two number that are constant. So now all one has to do is take the frequency, square it and multiply it by the constant for your belt configuration.

Belt Constant
    V-Twin (Span 1028mm) .99422
    ACE 1330 (Span 980mm) .86052

Constant x F2 = TensionNewtons

Expected Frequency Range one should see based on belt tension for your Model SPYDER. Keep in Mind the APP will not give you a reading below 20hz (it displays <20.0hz)

V-Twin Belt All Models (Years 2008 - 2012) Min (300n) Spec (450n) Max (600N)
    Belt Spec 450+/-150n Frequency range 17.37hz 21.27hz 24.56hz

V-Twin Belt All Models (2013) and RS/ST (Year 2014) Min (900n) Spec (1050n) Max (1200n)
    Belt Spec 1050+/-150n Frequency range 30.09hz 32.5hz 34.74hz

ACE 1330 Belt Model RT (2014) Min (900n) Spec (1050n) Max (1200n)
    Belt Spec 1050+/- 150n Frequency range 32.34hz 34.93hz 37.34hz

The gates site is http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/pr...soriesandtools (bottom right corner)

You can also go to Apple APPs and do a search on Gates Corporation

Yes most of the various parts of the APP are dealing with a bicycle it doesn't matter. We want the frequency of the tapped belt.
    Last edited by Doc - Riverside; 09-07-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Interesting stuff Doc.

Now I need to find a android version of the same app and try it on my Blackberry.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Not bored

Glad to see you found a way to entertain yourself this afternoon. Good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    Thanks to SL Member "larryd" he sent me a interesting link to Gates Belts for Bicycles. They use carbon flat belts on some high end bicycles like we have on the SPYDER. As I have a Gates 507C sonic meter, an IPOD Touch for music on my SPYDER and an IPAD ( don't have a IPHONE) it was time to install the APP on both and head for the shop for some testing.

The APP only measures Frequency of the belt when it is tapped. The Gates Meter also has the ability to measure Frequency. So with the rear wheel jacked up and the mic for the Gate Meter positioned 1/2 inch off the belt with my jig I was able to tap the belt with a small ball peen hammer, take a measurement and do a comparison. First I did the Gates Meter to the IPOD and then I did the same for the IPAD

Gates 507C IPOD Gates 507C IPAD
    28.2hz 28.7hz 28.2hz 28.0hz
    28.2hz 28.9hz 28.2hz 28.3hz
    28.2hz 28.5hz 28.4hz 28.4hz

As you can see the data collected looks very good. Gates recommends that a external mic be used instead of the built in mic. The type of mic I would suggest would be on that has a long cable attached that plugs in to the device. That way you can make some kind of jig to hold the mic 1/2 inch away from the belt. This will give you a very consistent reading as you rotate the wheel to a new position and tape it ( the mic doesn't move between readings) .

The only draw back to using the APP is it will not measure a frequency below 20hz. This will only effect the minimum tension for doing the belt tension spec of 450n +/- 150n.

OK !!!!!!!!!!!! Now we have a way of reading the frequency of the belt when tapped what can we do with it.

The formula in the Gates Manual for figuring the Tension of the belt in Newtons is: TNewtons= 4 x M x W x S2 x F2 x 1e10-9 . Well I would suspect that Bob is totally lost and is ready to go find a good book, But bare with me Grasshopper. There are now two belts that are now used on the SPYDER. One belt covers the V-Twin engine/Drive train and the other is for the 1330 engine/Drive train.

Engine Mass (M) Width (W) Span (S)
    V-Twin 8.4 g/m 28.0 mm 1028 mm
    ACE 1330 8.0 g/m 28.0 mm 980 mm

The above values have to be programed into the Gates meter so the Tech at the dealer can tension your belt properly according to the spec for your SPYDER. But what would happen if the wrong set was selected for your belt and the tech tensioned your belt anyhow. Roger and I did an experiment as he has a 2010 RT and a Gates Meter and I have the 2014 RT and a gates meter. This is the results we got using the above parameters.

V-Twin (Span 1028mm) ACE 1330 (Span 980mm)
    Roger 2010 RT 535n 431n
    Doc 2014 RT 1054n 886n

Roger's belt spec is 450n +/-150n and you can see that his belt is in spec using both parameters. My belt spec is 1050n +/-150n is in spec using the V-Twin belt data but just below spec for the ACE 1330 belt. The data is close and mistakes can be made setting up the meter and you wouldn't know it.

OK now lets really make this simple so all you have to do is get a frequency reading and convert it to Tension in Newtons. If we plug the above belt data into the formula we come up with two number that are constant. So now all one has to do is take the frequency, square it and multiply it by the constant for your belt configuration.

Belt Constant
    V-Twin (Span 1028mm) .99422
    ACE 1330 (Span 980mm) .86052

Constant x F2 = TensionNewtons

Expected Frequency Range one should see based on belt tension for your Model SPYDER. Keep in Mind the APP will not give you a reading below 20hz (it displays <20.0hz)

V-Twin Belt All Models (Years 2008 - 2012) Min (300n) Spec (450n) Max (600N)
    Belt Spec 450+/-150n Frequency range 17.37hz 21.27hz 24.56hz

V-Twin Belt All Models (2013) and RT/ST (Year 2014) Min (900n) Spec (1050n) Max (1200n)
    Belt Spec 1050+/-150n Frequency range 30.09hz 32.5hz 34.74hz

ACE 1330 Belt Model RT (2014) Min (900n) Spec (1050n) Max (1200n)
    Belt Spec 1050+/- 150n Frequency range 32.34hz 34.93hz 37.34hz

The gates site is http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/pr...soriesandtools (bottom right corner)

You can also go to Apple APPs and do a search on Gates Corporation

Yes most of the various parts of the APP are dealing with a bicycle it doesn't matter. We want the frequency of the tapped belt.
    SS1000, BB1500
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever

Spyder Garage

Awsome work Doc!

JT

Spyder Garage

Now I'm really confused. Lol

Spyder Garage

ok I downloade the app and they ask me the number of tooth of front, rear, and belt any idee?
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by va2djd View Post
    ok I downloade the app and they ask me the number of tooth of front, rear, and belt any idee?
    This Idea was approached about 10 months ago. read this for history http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...belt+frequency

People where asking for a APP that they could measure the frequency of the belt like the dealer does to do your belt tension with the Gates Sonic Meter (Meter is over $500.00). This App that was found will do the same thing as the meter if you have one of the Apple devices. As stated in the write up we only want to measure the frequency of the belt when tapped. Once we know the frequency we can square that number and multiply by the constant I listed for the belt that you have on your SPYDER. This will give you the tension in Newtons that your belt is set at. When you open the APP ignore the two silver blocks that come up. Look at the bottom menu bar and tap Tension. It will bring up a screen as pictured.

Spyder Garage

Wowwwwww !!!

Great job, Thank you !
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Now I'm really confused. Lol
    What are you confused about? This is an APP that one can do there own belt tension check or adjustment just like the dealer does it but simpler. The APP was developed by Gates, the maker of the belts for the SPYDER. I just explained the function we need to do the job on the SPYDER. It is electronic and gives you a more accurate reading than the finger click method.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc... Thanks!

But it DOES remind me of a joke...

How does a Classicly trained musician define, "Perfect Pitch"?
    It's when you throw a set of bagpipes into the Town Dump, and they land on top of a banjo!

Serlously...
    The Missus has an IPad; what do I need in order to make your Magic happen?
    Just an external microphone, and an application?
    I think that even I might be able to pull this one together!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-23-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Now I am confused I measured the freq. got 88hz well above your calculations. Just returned from the dealer and the CURRENT spec for 2013 is 750n I read it in the latest FSM myself (curse you BRP for constantly changing specs.). That being said they did a 3 point measurement with the BRP device and got ~750n max 650n low. Now what? Maybe the android version home screen freq. measurement is different that Apple?

edit
    I did not have it jacked up could that be the difference? Readings were very consistent too. Did 3 times.
    Last edited by Magdave; 06-23-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Now I am confused I measured the freq. got 88hz well above your calculations. Just returned from the dealer and the CURRENT spec for 2013 is 750n I read it in the latest FSM myself (curse you BRP for constantly changing specs.). That being said they did a 3 point measurement with the BRP device and got ~750n max 650n low. Now what? Maybe the android version home screen freq. measurement is different that Apple?

edit
    I did not have it jacked up could that be the difference? Readings were very consistent too. Did 3 times.
    Yes, it must be jacked up using the frame. Rear wheel has to be off the ground. The frequency for 750n is 27.46hz so your reading should be close to this. Is the new spec 750 +/-150n? Not sure about any Android APP out there but I did verify the frequency data I reported for the Apple APP against the Gates Sonic Meter . The frequency that you read can't be right because it works out to be 7699n.

Spyder Garage

Yes, it must be jacked up using the frame. Rear wheel has to be off the ground. The frequency for 750n is 27.46hz so your reading should be close to this. Is the new spec 750 +/-150n? Not sure about any Android APP out there but I did verify the frequency data I reported for the Apple APP against the Gates Sonic Meter . The frequency that you read can't be right because it works out to be 7699n.
    I used the Conti app let me know what you get using it in a similar test it might be the differences in the app. It is repeatable though so if you get a baseline from the Continental app I can use it. 750n is what I read in their shop manual. Anyone else talked to their dealers lately about the belt tension to verify the change?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Got the app. Thank you.
    Now a couple simple question. What is the best way to strike the belt?
    and, where is the best place to strike the belt?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Doc... Thanks!

But it DOES remind me of a joke...

How does a Classiclytrained musician define, "Perfect Pitch"?
    It's when you throw a set of bagpipes into the Town Dump, and they land on top of a banjo!
    Careful I love the bagpipes and banjo. But it does remind me of a joke...

What is the difference between a cattle guard and a banjo player?

Most people slow down before running over a cattle guard.

Spyder Garage

What are you confused about? This is an APP that one can do there own belt tension check or adjustment just like the dealer does it but simpler. The APP was developed by Gates, the maker of the belts for the SPYDER. I just explained the function we need to do the job on the SPYDER. It is electronic and gives you a more accurate reading than the finger click method.
    Guess I'd have to load it on my iPad and try it. All the numbers confuse me.

Haven't even looked at how exactly the belt is tensioned or aligned yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Craniac View Post
    But it does remind me of a joke...
    What is the difference between a cattle guard and a banjo player?
    Most people slow down before running over a cattle guard.
    I like that one too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Been using the krikit on my belt but will double check with this procedure.

FYI for you android guys. Most the mic's on Android devices suck as their frequency range is limited.
    Apple has a high quality Mic in it and a chip to support a good frequency range.
    Trust me I know, I run one of the top Android ROM site around. www.freaktab.com

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Big Bang Theory

what penny said to Sheldon when she met him:
    So you’re like, one of those, beautiful mind genius guys.
    I think she was talking to you Doc

Spyder Garage

I guess my question is does it matter how hard you hit it and where?
    did you test it if you hit it a couple of inches from where you did it before?
    what about distance to mike? extra 1/4"??
    inquiring minds want to know

Spyder Garage

Default lbs =n

If using a Krikit tool how many lbs do you set the belt tension ? Are there new guidelines? Just put on a new Kumo and want to check everything.
    Last edited by sandman53; 07-17-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: no response

Spyder Garage

I just adjusted my belt after installing my hitch.
    I can tell you it was extremely hard, not adjusting the belt, that was easy.
    Asking my daughter if I could borrow her I-phone which I pay for.
    so I could adjust the belt, and hearing over and over don't hit my phone with that hammer!
    Stefan
    BTW I jacked up the bike and put a box under it and just laid the phone on it, so it stayed stationary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandman53 View Post
    If using a Krikit tool how many lbs do you set the belt tension ? Are there new guidelines? Just put on a new Kumo and want to check everything.
    before I removed my belt I took a measurement with the krikit and marked it. never using one before when I put the belt back on it wouldn't read anything.
    I finally realized that the belt was too tight and was past it's limit.

Spyder Garage

Also, does it matter if you strike it versus plucking?
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Also, does it matter if you strike it versus plucking?
    I use a small ball peen hammer. I use the ball end and tap the belt with a small amount of force. The key is to try and strike the belt the same as you take the three required readings.