Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

There is already issued a tech bulletin covering this GPS issue for ALL 2015s. Its now obvious the selling dealer did not properly inspect the bike including the performance of the check required in the tech bulletin before delivering the bike.

BRP had already identified the possible issue and told the dealer of it. The dealer CHOSE to ignore the information and not bother with the proper setup for delivery.

Sorry but once again this is just very poor dealer performance making the owner experience poor.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

any idea when it came out and what it said? this will give me something to
    ask my dealer today. hope second time is the charm.

i did see the bulletin that was posted but did it say anything about software
    upgrade. i couldnt enlarge it enough to read it all. can you post it so i can
    print it out to read it?
    Last edited by irvin48; 05-25-2016 at 09:08 AM. Reason: more info
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember seeing a post with a pic of the service bulletin a while ago. Not sure what thread it was in, think it was about the transmission not shifting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    I remember seeing a post with a pic of the service bulletin a while ago. Not sure what thread it was in, think it was about the transmission not shifting.
    it was in a thread i posted when my problems first started
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Once again this is just very poor dealer performance making the owner experience poor.
    The REALLY SAD reality from the owner's perspective is that BRP doesn't seem to care about incidents like this. You get a survey, you fill it out, they may call you about it and seem very concerned about one's experience(s), then there is NO followup. Since BRP is in Canada and we are in the US, what happens to the offending dealer/sales person/ servich tech??????? Actions, or inactions should have consequences. This is an EXTREME case that could have resulted in personal injury. How far the OP wants to take this is his/her choice.
    I be lieve there are many more incidents of "poor dealer performance" regarding the delivery of a Spyder than get reported here.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is already issued a tech bulletin covering this GPS issue for ALL 2015s.BRP had already identified the possible issue and told the dealer of it.
    JC,
    First time I've heard of this issue. Am I living under a rock? Are TSBs ONLY sent to dealers???? If this affects ALL 2015s why didn't BRP send a notification to ALL owners?? Can TSBs be found somewhere????
    Thanks
    Mike

Spyder Garage

no one has posted here that they received any notification
    from anyone.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Service bulletins are not sent to owners, only recalls. Service bulletins are sent to dealers and are often posted here at Spyderlovers by owners that have access to them.

Here is a picture of the bulletin:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jcthorne; 05-25-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

just talked to my dealer and mentioned the possible software problem.
    he has been talking to brp also. gonna call them again. he said mine had
    no fault codes this time, which was unusual. they rode it once. parts manager
    is taking it out again.--to be continued.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

MelloYelloSpyder

Wow....seems as if this thread was about my bike. I have a 13 STS SM5 that last week while riding on the highway experienced clutch slippage. While it was slipping/disengaging the RPMs would skyrocket and with no forward progression (this was on the highway at speed and accelerating). The bike would momentarily catch up and then the RPMs would shoot up again. Then all of the CHECK ENGINE lights started flashing and the Neutral Reverse lights were going off like a Christmas tree. Mind you I am still running at speed. Thank God it didn't think it was actually in Reverse and throw me from the bike. It is now sitting at the dealership and he might get to it next week as they have a lot of bikes ahead of me. I contacted BRP customer care and told them what I think of these machines and the lack of reliability and if Michigan had a lemon law regarding motorcycles I would be pursuing that route. The bike has had 4800 miles put on it since I purchased it as a dealer demo last year and this is now the third trip to the shop (second for the same problem). I told them I have no confidence in these machines and I will be trading it off as soon as I can and going back to a two wheel bike. I traded off my 2012 Vaquero for this and have regretted it almost since day one. The Vaquero never had a break down or malfunction in my 2 years of ownership and I never worried that if I took it somewhere that I might get stranded by some computer glitch or other failure. I have had every brand of Japanese bike plus a Victory in my 30 plus years of riding and all of them combined never had the problems of this bike.

Spyder Garage

Default BaJa Ron Swaybar Blocks

Howdy Folks,
    Just had to chime in here.
    When I installed my Swaybar last Year, I also got a block that was misfitting.
    I called Ron and he explained about a jig Snafu for the block that caused the hole to be off .06 of an inch. He took FULL responsibility, was extremely apologetic, and offered to get a new block out to me that day. I'm a toolmaker so I just milled .060 off the top and it works GREAT!
    My point is, stuff happens!!!
    It's all in how we react to it...
    i hope the Folks with the Broke Down Spyder get a chance to see and feel what an awesome machine these are, and I wish them The Absolute Best of Luck.
    As far as BaJa Ron, he is one of the most upstanding people that I have ever done buisness with. (As well as Harvey at SpyderPops, Motorcycle Dave, Lamonster....)
    Just my .02 worth...
    Ride Safely,
    Have Fun,
    "Old Man Grizz"
    2014 RTS
    2009 Phantom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Service bulletins are not sent to owners, only recalls. Service bulletins are sent to dealers and are often posted here at Spyderlovers by owners that have access to them.

Here is a picture of the bulletin:

Thank you for this post - WOW! no way of knowing whether my F3 is one of the ones with potential failure of GBPS from known manufacturing contaminants. And this is not a recall issue? Really!

Note date is July 21, 2015 - there is no reference for dealer to inspect or replace this part unless there is a failure. To me not dealer's fault - BRPs for not making this a recall!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BeRight; 05-25-2016 at 12:30 PM.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Thank you for this post - WOW! no way of knowing whether my F3 is one of the ones with potential failure of GBPS from known manufacturing contaminants. And this is not a recall issue? Really!

Note date is July 21, 2015 - there is no reference for dealer to inspect or replace this part unless there is a failure. To me not dealer's fault - BRPs for not making this a recall!!!!!!!!

You misunderstand the communication in this bulletin. It is an instruction to the dealers to notify and inspect ALL 2015 RT and F3 model bikes for the possibility of this problem and replace the sensor if needed.

Very simply, the dealer did not perform this inspection on the OPs new bike before delivery even though they were told to do so.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My bad. Ol Fa*t read G.P.S. as GPS. GBPS makes it very clear what was being discussed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Grizz View Post
    Howdy Folks,
    Just had to chime in here.
    When I installed my Swaybar last Year, I also got a block that was misfitting.
    I called Ron and he explained about a jig Snafu for the block that caused the hole to be off .06 of an inch. He took FULL responsibility, was extremely apologetic, and offered to get a new block out to me that day. I'm a toolmaker so I just milled .060 off the top and it works GREAT!
    My point is, stuff happens!!!
    It's all in how we react to it...
    i hope the Folks with the Broke Down Spyder get a chance to see and feel what an awesome machine these are, and I wish them The Absolute Best of Luck.
    As far as BaJa Ron, he is one of the most upstanding people that I have ever done buisness with. (As well as Harvey at SpyderPops, Motorcycle Dave, Lamonster....)
    Just my .02 worth...
    Ride Safely,
    Have Fun,
    "Old Man Grizz"
    2014 RTS
    2009 Phantom
    I am happy for you being a tool maker it was not too big of an issue for you. But trust me for myself it was. I wish since he knew about the miss drilled holes he would of corrected it before I got it.. Not knowing and not a mechanis I spent hours trying to get it on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by romaine View Post
    BRP dealer picked up the 2015 RT Limited this afternoon. Dealer replaced the G.P.S. and stated that BRP engineers are still looking into the failures of G.P.S. and maybe a software issue (?). Going to visit with dealer in the morning to review how this part could kill all forward drive with no warning at all. Did not know if wife & I will ever trust the Snyder not to fail on the highway or just crossing a basic intersection like it did on our first outing. Will say at this point dealer seems to be trying to do the right thing.
    Good to hear something is being done. & question the G.P.S. has to be the Gear Position Sensor ? For rednecks like me

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You misunderstand the communication in this bulletin. It is an instruction to the dealers to notify and inspect ALL 2015 RT and F3 model bikes for the possibility of this problem and replace the sensor if needed.

Very simply, the dealer did not perform this inspection on the OPs new bike before delivery even though they were told to do so.
    Thank you for the clarification/correction.

My dealer did not notify me to arrange inspection of mine - just last month my 2015 F3-S was at dealer for first service: I asked what warranty/service bulletins and recalls were performed and was told only the frame reinforcement bar (which I previously told them about so parts could be ordered in advance) was done. Need to call them and setup another service visit.

This warranty bulletin states: "All involved customers need to be notified, all involved units must be corrected as per instruction herein." IMHO - this is a strange way to run a business - leaving it up to dealers to inform owners of a "warranty" issue - just like frame reinforcement bar for F3's. Especially for a known potential part failure that can leave one stranded and or in a dangerous highway situation or worse an accident.

This is not a service bulletin but a WARRANTY bulletin - All warranty bulletins should be also be sent to owners!

The confusing part is that a "limited quantity" of F3/RT's have this problem - indicating BRP found and corrected this problem (super!), so one would think they would know at which production unit number (VIN) that there were corrected at factory, and potentially when it started.

One might assume (always dangerous) that my GBPS has not failed after one+ years that I am OK. Will have it checked anyway.

The GBPS has always been a sore spot for me anyway - had to replace it twice in my 2008 Spyder - fortunately failure only caused dash to flash warning light and gear indicator light to show "E." However, Spyder shifted and ran fine - maybe because SM5.

If I knew how to setup a POLL on this forum I would, it would be interesting to find out how many 2105 F3/RT owners were and were not notified by their dealer of this or any other "warranty bulletin." Maybe even a generic poll on notification of warranty bulletins (not warranty recalls).

OK I am done - ranting and raving - not fully awake up all night playing Destiny - please forgive - need more coffee Leaving post and not deleting just because I think this is a generic issue - BRP warranty bulletin notification method.

OOPS! My Bad - just called my dealer - assuming my dealer told me the truth (trust but verify) - According to my dealer this Warranty bulletin identifies F3/RTs by serial numbers that are affected and mine is not one of them - so is there another sheet to this bulletin - if yes please post for verification.
    Last edited by BeRight; 05-26-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: My Bad maybe
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

My dealer took three weeks to send in the paper work on my 2015 Spyder. I figured it was so they could get some sort of end of the month bonus from BRP?
    I found this out when I purchased an extended BEST warranty from Bert's Mega Mall for my Spyder RTS.

I also had some sort of transmission problem where the bike would not down shift to first gear. It's luck that the big motor has enough torque to move the bike in forth gear
    to get off the road. Long story short, the engine/transmission was not assembled correctly at the factory. When it was opened up, a part fell out. It been behaving OK since the repair
    but a few times I have seen 'E' gear displayed when down shifting.
    Last edited by Cavman; 05-26-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

There is already issued a tech bulletin covering this GPS issue for ALL 2015s. Its now obvious the selling dealer did not properly inspect the bike including the performance of the check required in the tech bulletin before delivering the bike.

BRP had already identified the possible issue and told the dealer of it. The dealer CHOSE to ignore the information and not bother with the proper setup for delivery.

Sorry but once again this is just very poor dealer performance making the owner experience poor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    My dealer took three weeks to send in the paper work on my 2015 Spyder. I figured it was so they could get some sort of end of the month bonus from BRP?
    I found this out when I purchased an extended BEST warranty from Bert's Mega Mall for my Spyder RTS.

I also had some sort of transmission problem where the bike would not down shift to first gear. It's luck that the big motor has enough torque to move the bike in forth gear
    to get off the road. Long story short, the engine/transmission was not assembled correctly at the factory. When it was opened up, a part fell out. It been behaving OK since the repair
    but a few times I have seen 'E' gear displayed when down shifting.

and what year of rt do you have? i wish everyone would put their year and
    model in their signature. we all did it on the other forums i was on. whoops,
    not all, but most. i tried to post a sig pic too, but somehow it wont take.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

havent heard from the original poster? any reports? im going to get mine tonite.
    we will see what happens.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Update-2 - Replaced 2015 RT Limited with new unit.

On Saturday the BRP dealer replaced the one week old 2015 RT Limited with a new 2015 RT Limited 2015 RT Limited at not cost to me. Hope we are off to a better start now. First 25 miles no issues. Once I get a few hundred miles on the new RT Limited hope the wife will ride again.

Spyder Garage

Default For What It's Worth To BRP...

... I've been studying this forum to learn all I can about Spyders in preparation for purchasing a new RT Limited. The last two weeks have been an eye opener.

No longer considering a Spyder. I'll pass.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm Backlashing

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I was about to say the same thing about the number of new owners having trouble. Whether it is dealers fault, or BRP's, somebody better get their s&@t together or there will be some public backlash at some point. I wonder if there is a common thread to all the problems? Certain day of the week built, or a change in part manufacturer?

Ann's 2013 ST Limited has and 4 major failures. Stator, regulator, brake light sticking, and A arm bushings/ball joint. The brake light is recurring. After 3 attempts with dealer to get it fixed it's still sticking and causing limp home mode; unsafe! I contacted BRP customer care and they told me to take it back to dealer for diagnoses. I'm filing a NHTSA complaint. Recommend all others do this to get these things fixed. We may get some needed recalls. Consumer Reports claim 42 out of 100 units fail. This is way to high and the worst in the industry. Suzuki is best at 12 failures per 100. The car industry doesn't tolerate this and you see the recalls. BMW has the second worst, but at least recalls and repairs persistent problems (BMW owners complain more than others).

If something fails putting you on the side of the road within two years and you've been maintaining the Spyder report it to NHTSA and let's get this fixed. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/complaint.cfm

This vehicle is fun and sporty. I hope to help to keep them on the road and try to get BRP's TQM up.

Spyder Garage

lucky you. i didnt get a new one, but with the second relearn we have over 200 miles ,
    and going to do more today. so far, so good
    [joyce & irvin toms]