Spyder Garage

Default Black Currant Sport Rack and Backrest

I want to show off my latest addition. I've been working on this for a few weeks, and I'm very happy with the results.

The Problem:
    I've been a little concerned about losing my wife off the back of the Spyder; I try to accelerate gently, but I know she is holding on for dear life.

The Solution:
    We decided to add a passenger backrest, and we looked at several different options. The OEM Sport Rack and Backrest are the best option for us, but the price for new parts is far to high. I found this Sport Rack and Backrest used here on Spyder Lovers for $300. I mounted it to the bike and we tried it out. Then I removed it and took it to our local Career and Tech (formerly VoTech) school where the Auto Collision teacher agreed to paint it. His students took it all apart and sanded all of the parts (by hand). It took two tries to match the Black Currant paint, but the results are terrific. It cost me less than $50 for the paint job.

The Results:
    I put them back on the Spyder yesterday afternoon, and the paint matches perfectly.

I am posting this for the following reasons:

1. I got what I want for less than an arm and a leg.
    2. I am thrilled with the results.
    3. I am a big fan of my local Career and Tech school. Their Small Engine shop installed my Baja Ron sway bar and didn't charge me anything. Of course, you need to be careful with your baby, but there are students who need the experience. All work is done under the watchful eye of an experienced teacher. I would encourage you to give it a try. BTW, when I need new tires on my car, I buy them online and have the Auto Service program mount and balance them. They also have done brake jobs for me, and all I paid for was the parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Looks great, I wish the new backrest was easily removable...Btw, like your signature picture...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by NSPYTE; 04-08-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NSPYTE View Post
    Looks great, I wish the new backrest was easily removable...Btw, like your signature picture...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Great minds think alike.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)