Quote Originally Posted by revjvegas View Post
I'm going to add two cents to this water pump seal discussion cause my '03 BMW F650 has a rotax motor and is of similar design with regards to the water pump and seals.

Here's the thing, there is a seal on the water pump side and one on the oil side. And yeah, when one goes out, you get the offender out the weep hole. (And both get replaced when one or the other goes out)

So now you only have ONE seal keeping oil from mixing with water.

If you choose to keep riding while waiting for parts to come in and that other seal decides to go out as well, now you've got oil in your cooling system or worse, water emulsifying your oil and wrecking your lubrication.

I would not take that chance with my ride and just park it till parts come in to make repairs.
It doesn't work that way. Both seals are open to the atmosphere on the weep hole side, so there is no way to cross contaminate unless you were to try and block off the weep hole. Its a pretty solid setup.

Usually, that seal fails on the water pump side since it's under pressure on that side. Most Aprilia guys (same motor) don't even bother swapping the seal/shaft assembly until it gets really bad.
Also, a crappy install can make a new assembly leak in short order as there are a few "gotchas" with the install.

Ride it, keep an eye on the fluids. I had mine done back in 2012 and it cost me $32 to overnight the parts, the rest done under warranty. Dealer had it done and I was only down for a total of 4 days.
Since then I helped a friend do one and it's a pretty easy job once you make access, just a lot of parts to remove and put back on.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk