Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder vs other trikes

I just returned from Branson,Mo. on my first trip on my '14 Spyder RT Limited. Have owned it for about a month. In our group there were 3 Harley trikes, 1 Honda trike and 3 motorcycles. While riding the roads there I was having trouble keeping up with the others in the curves. I'm sure part of it was learning to ride the Spyder but it seemed the other trikes handled the curves easier. I am interested to know if Spyder riders who have ridden other brands of trikes think that conventional trikes handle the curves better. To me it seems like a lot of work maneuvering the curves. Hoping it will get better with more experience.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Consider adding the Baharon Sway Bar and a laser alignment. Since I did those two things I am able to handle curves faster and with less effort.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Experience helps. When we ride with any other kinds of bikes, we always have to slow down for them in the corners because we very seldom have to. Once you get used to the Spyder you will be able out corner all but the most aggressive riders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Relax. .!!

You will get better with more time on the spyder. I have found them to be much better than any other trike I have ryden. Once you get really comfortable with the handling you will do well with all bikes. The crotch rokets will out do ya but then they are in a bigger hurry.... Don't know where you are coming from, dirt bikes, quads, street etc but each have adjustments biggest one being relaxing your grip. There are mods as mentioned above that will help....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Once you get used to the Spyder, the conventional trikes will have a hard time keeping up with you. As others have said, get the BajaRon sway bar.

I have ridden both conventional trikes and the Spyder, and I can tell you first hand that the conventional trike doesn't even come close to handling as well at the Spyder in the twisties or even in gentle curves.

Pam

Spyder Garage

The stability of a reverse trike is far superior than a conventional trike. After a little more road time, you should literally run circles around a conventional trike. Go find an open parking lot on Sunday morning and practice.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Start with checking your tire pressure..That makes a difference too. Along with the sway bar and proper alignment if not done so already..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    Experience helps.
    . When I went from riding Harleys to a GL1800 trike, there was a 1,000 mile learning curve. When I recently went to my RTL it took about 800 miles to get comfortable on it. My biggest issue was over steering the Spyder because of the quicker response to handlebar input. I ride 2-up 95% of the time. Before you go out and spend more money, try a few freebies:
    1. Play with tire pressures both front and rear
    2. Play with increasing the stiffness of your rear shock.
    3. Try adjusting your turn in entering a curve.
    Hope this helps. Welcome to the Spyder World.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon sway bar

OJ UK have you had the BajaRon sway bar fitted to your F3? If you have then I will probably have to ring 158 Performance and pay to have it fitted to mine before they deliver F3 to me.
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Everybody is right on the technical aspects, including a sway bar and alignment. Still, this has far more to do with time and experience.

You've been riding for a month, and I imagine most of them have been riding for years. This sounds more about getting miles under your belt than anything else. Until then, I'm not sure if you'd even really notice the difference in the ride.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Ride your own ride. Experience is key I think. The BajaRon swaybar does help. Unless your bike pulls either direction, I'd hold off on the alignment. Proper/equal air pressure up front, shock adjustments, braking, leaning, etc... will all help your personal riding skills. Don't rush it, and don't worry about how fast others get thru the corners. You'll learn
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Tyre wear

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Everybody is right on the technical aspects, including a sway bar and alignment. Still, this has far more to do with time and experience.

You've been riding for a month, and I imagine most of them have been riding for years. This sounds more about getting miles under your belt than anything else. Until then, I'm not sure if you'd even really notice the difference in the ride.
    Would txhood notice difference in tyre wear? Previous advice from spyder owners is to check tyres before every ride.
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

The BIGGEST mistake any new rider makes is trying to keep up with others, ride your own ride as previously stated. Experience will make you more comfortable and even if you can't comfortably stay with others it's better to be safe, especially if you have a passenger. In my not so humble opinion group rides are a recipe for disaster, you have people with a wide variety of riding skills, attention spans, equipment condition and then throw in the testosterone and you get a not so good outcome. Enjoy the camaraderie when you get to the destination. Oh! and yes the Baja Ron will make a difference and so will playing with tire pressure and shock settings. Enjoy the ride!
    Bob S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I own a 100% stock 2013 ST-L and when I first started riding on the twistier roads I really had a hard time keeping up with others. Granted I wasn't trying to keep up (very important), I was trying to learn the bike. I mostly ride with 2 wheel riders (Ducati, BMW, Harley). On our last ride they had pulled over for me to "catch up" but I was only 30 seconds behind them. The others in our group we 5 plus minutes behind us. They are now taking my 3 wheeler a little more serious. I used ed to ride sweeper 8n the group and now I run in front of the pack. Can't wait to see what the Baja Ron sway bar does for me. Plan to add it this winter. Take your time and learn the bike. Comfort and performance will come.

2013 Spyder ST Limited Black Current
    stock (so far)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by txhood View Post
    I just returned from Branson,Mo. on my first trip on my '14 Spyder RT Limited. Have owned it for about a month. In our group there were 3 Harley trikes, 1 Honda trike and 3 motorcycles. While riding the roads there I was having trouble keeping up with the others in the curves. I'm sure part of it was learning to ride the Spyder but it seemed the other trikes handled the curves easier. I am interested to know if Spyder riders who have ridden other brands of trikes think that conventional trikes handle the curves better. To me it seems like a lot of work maneuvering the curves. Hoping it will get better with more experience.
    Go out and ride the twisties by yourself and lean your body into the corners, if you don't you will feel like you will be flung off. Alignment and swaybar also help handling.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Big +1s for riding your own ride and logging miles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I too had the same experience as you when I got my first Spyder in 2010. Had it for about a month when a group of us rode from Phoenix to Sedona then thru Jerome to Prescott. All the 2 wheelers except hubby left me in the dust on the twists south of Jerome. Hubby says don;t worry by next yr. you will be good. Last winter (same trip)I was able to stay with the pack, and in fact could have gone faster thru some corners than the bikes, whose pegs were dragging. I have put about 35,000 miles on 3 Spyders and although still learning I have gained a lot of confidence and would not have any issue riding anywhere with anyone. Enjoy your rides and you will have more fun with ever mile you drive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    The BIGGEST mistake any new rider makes is trying to keep up with others, ride your own ride as previously stated. Experience will make you more comfortable and even if you can't comfortably stay with others it's better to be safe, especially if you have a passenger. In my not so humble opinion group rides are a recipe for disaster, you have people with a wide variety of riding skills, attention spans, equipment condition and then throw in the testosterone and you get a not so good outcome. Enjoy the camaraderie when you get to the destination. Oh! and yes the Baja Ron will make a difference and so will playing with tire pressure and shock settings. Enjoy the ride!
    . Well said. I got back on a bike in '96. Stopped group riding in 2000 Because of multiple "not so good outcomes", including our own in 7/99. By 2003 we went to a trike and haven't looked back. 98% of the time we ride alone, and "enjoy the camaraderie" @the destination. Like I and others have said, get to know your Spyder well before you decide to throw more money @it.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I rode with some Harley trikes in the Smokies this weekend and they were way slower. As mentioned the single wheel up front makes it much more prone to roll in a corner and so the traction control must be much more invasive.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lean a little bit into the corner with the spyder as it will turn easier for you. I also put on a Lamonster sway bar, had a laser alignment done and installed fox podium front shocks
    now the spyder corners like it is on rails.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It wasn't your bike...
    Ride your own ride, and get used to what you've got: you'll be waiting for them in no time!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I also agree with the "ride your own ride" folks. I have only had my Spyder for 3 months and I'm having a blast learning to ride it. Something that helped me a great deal (I read it here at Spyderlovers ) is to try planting your outside foot on the peg/footboard as you take a turn. It helps to transfer your weight to the inside. This tip made me a lot more confident taking a curve. I hope it helps you too. Have fun and don't try anything just because others are.

2011 Spyder RT Limited (Artie)

Spyder Garage

Default Outside foot!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyRyde View Post
    I also agree with the "ride your own ride" folks. I have only had my Spyder for 3 months and I'm having a blast learning to ride it. Something that helped me a great deal (I read it here at Spyderlovers ) is to try planting your outside foot on the peg/footboard as you take a turn. It helps to transfer your weight to the inside. This tip made me a lot more confident taking a curve. I hope it helps you too. Have fun and don't try anything just because others are.
    +1

I can't emphasize this enough. The harder you turn, the harder you push down with the o/s foot. (like a snow plow turn in sking). I also bend my inside elbow a bit to help lean in. Much faster with some practice.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

All above advice good.

Ride your own ride is most important. Riding above your comfort zone can lead to danger quickly.

With the two wheels in front and the electronic stability controls, the should out perform conventional trikes. They want to roll if they get put into corners to quickly.

My suggestions on turns. Enter the turn from the inside and track to the outside--like a race car driver. Enter at a speed where you can accelerate a bit during the turn. Plant the outside foot and lean into the curve a bit. Light push/pull on the handlebars in the direction of the turn. Look at the end of the curve--not two feet in front of the front of the . Light control on the handlebars. Don't break the invisible eggs between your palms and the handgrips.

I can take most curves 20 mph+ posted--if I want to. I never go over the center line or near the ditch.

The process takes practice to build confidence. In no time you will be riding with or better than those who are currently ahead of your ability.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red