Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Some questions, considering a Spyder

Hello. I'm hoping some of you can answer some questions that I have. Thanks!

(1) What are maintenance costs like on a Spyder? I'm considering a 2011 rs-s sm5 which just under 1000 miles.

(2) Are the RS models good for all-day riding?
    I went on a test drive for an RT and didn't love it. I ride sport bikes, used to ride cruisers, but I like the smaller, lighter motorcycle feel as opposed to the touring bike set up.

(3) For those of you who ride on two wheels, what do you like about the Spyder, what do you dislike?

(4) Do you wear the same kind of riding gear on a Spyder compared to a two wheel motorcycle?

I currently ride in full race leathers with race boots, and a full face helmet. I'm wondering if this would still be necessary.

(5) Does the following make sense for wanting a Spyder?
    a) I'm 5'5" and around 118 lbs, so not the "sturdiest" of females. I would never be able to pick up my bike if it fell over and I was out alone, so I don't ride alone. I would like to not have to worry about picking up a bike. I have knocked over my FZ-09 once, at a gas station, when I bent over to get my pants unstuck and the bike leaned over with me. My husband had to upright my 415 lb bike. I would have had to ask someone had I been by myself, which is really embarrassing. So, the idea of a bike that won't fall over is nice.
    b) I tend to not go on rides where I know we will be parking on grass or gravel. I also won't go on rides to very unfamiliar places, since my comfort level isn't 100%. I'm okay riding places where I've been before or that are more local (within fifty miles). Either I get over this or get a Spyder and not worry.
    c) My husband is new to riding. I won't ride on the back since he has only 2000-3000 miles of riding. I will only ride with people who have been riding 10+ years. So, I was thinking that a Spyder would be a safer option for two up riding if I was riding on the back (is that still unsafe?!!)

Thanks everyone! You have a wonderful forum!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

first off how old are you & how many years of experience do you have?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfz09 View Post

(1) What are maintenance costs like on a Spyder? I'm considering a 2011 rs-s sm5 which just under 1000 miles.

I went on a test drive for an RT and didn't love it. I ride sport bikes, used to ride cruisers, but I like the smaller, lighter motorcycle feel as opposed to the touring bike set up.

(3) For those of you who ride on two wheels, what do you like about the Spyder, what do you dislike?

(4) Do you wear the same kind of riding gear on a Spyder compared to a two wheel motorcycle?

I currently ride in full race leathers with race boots, and a full face helmet. I'm wondering if this would still be necessary.

a) I'm 5'5" and around 118 lbs, so not the "sturdiest" of females. I would never be able to pick up my bike if it fell over and I was out alone, so I don't ride alone. I would like to not have to worry about picking up a bike. I have knocked over my FZ-09 once, at a gas station, when I bent over to get my pants unstuck and the bike leaned over with me. My husband had to upright my 415 lb bike. I would have had to ask someone had I been by myself, which is really embarrassing. So, the idea of a bike that won't fall over is nice.
    b) I tend to not go on rides where I know we will be parking on grass or gravel. I also won't go on rides to very unfamiliar places, since my comfort level isn't 100%. I'm okay riding places where I've been before or that are more local (within fifty miles). Either I get over this or get a Spyder and not worry.
    c) My husband is new to riding. I won't ride on the back since he has only 2000-3000 miles of riding. I will only ride with people who have been riding 10+ years. So, I was thinking that a Spyder would be a safer option for two up riding if I was riding on the back (is that still unsafe?!!)

1) Like all toys if you don't do the simple stuff yourself (oil changes etc) it is going to get expensive. If you can afford a used F3, the routine stuff is at a greater interval then then the VTwin(RS models) thus saving you money that way.

2) only you can decide this. Find one you can test ride. Are you will to make changes to handle bars and seats and pegs to make it suit you?

3) I rode 2 wheels for 50 years. Then I stacked up 2 in a 9 week period and decided it was time for a change. I rode a Goldwing Trike for 4 years. I hated it. I sold it, bought my Spyder and the fun is back. I can ride it hard or take it easy. I can ride alone with no worries or two up comfortable.

4)Well yes I do wear the same gear as when I was on 2 wheels. You may decide to change yours once you get your Spyder,but again that will be up to you and what makes you comfortable.

Most of your other concerns, slippery grass,tipping over, etc will go away on 3 wheels.As for being uncomfortable in strange places I can't address that. One of the reason I ride is be in new situations and strange situations. Two up is very safe on a Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    first off how old are you & how many years of experience do you have?

Why would age be a factor? I'm in my 30's, riding 3.5 yrs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I got rear ended twice within a month. Trust me when I tell you I can't pick up a bike. I have herniated disks.

I love that video though! I'm around the size of that woman, so she is an inspiration.
    Last edited by Jenfz09; 02-20-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

ONLY Way to find out is to test drive at a dealer and there should be one without going tooo far that you can test drive a RS, ST, RT, and F3 if you wish.
    I suggest RS, ST, and F3 test drive for you! Take your time and GET the test drives if you have to travel 100 miles to find the model.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

An RS is a great sporty styled spyder and you will like the V-twin for it's rev-ability. We have an RT and wear the same gear as on two wheels(I have two 2 wheelers). Once you get the hang of the handling you can corner quite well with a spyder. If you do your own work you can save a lot on service costs. Oil changes on the V-twin are every 4,600 miles and an oil change kit at the dealer costs around $75. The valve adjustments are expensive and are to be done every 14,000 miles. I think you will enjoy the spyder, my wife loves to ride ours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default RS Lover...

I have an RS and love it. The Vtwin is the best engine I have owned but it is higher maintenance than the new Triple. The F3 is more your cruiser and worth a test ryde. What you wear is mostly up to you. From the three wheel point you will find many are not dressed like a sport bike ryder. The chances of fall over are much less but dressing for protection is a good idea. I can ryde all day long and have not problems considering my age. My wife and I can do 400 plus miles and alone I can double that. As for like and dislike, I am sorry I did not get a roadster long before now...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Not sure age has much to do with anything regarding riding a Spyder. We're both near 50..some say we're too young to be riding 3 wheels, but frankly, we both feel much safer and relaxed on 3 wheels. We had a Honda ST1300 for several years prior to the Spyder. There aren't many things I can say that I miss not being on 2 wheels. The biggest difference you'll find initially, is getting used to the cornering of the Spyder.....but, that's what test rides are for. If you've ridden a snowmobile or 4 wheeler, I like to compare the handling to those machines. The Spyder just makes riding much more "convenient". You no longer have to worry as much about what lies around the next corner on the road...(grass, leaves, gravel, nuts, any debris really) The Spyder will stay balanced, where a 2 wheeler can obviously slide out from under you. We ride an RT, and haven't ridden any other models of Spyder. We're both very happy with the comfort, safety, and convenience. We do wear protective gear, but not as much or heavy as we did when we were on 2 wheels, mostly because the tip over factor is so much less on 3 wheels vs 2.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDERS

....Hi, a lot of good answers here and ALL questions to you serve a purpose ( even if you don't understand WHY yet )...from things I've read about you here and other posts you have out. You seem to gravitate to SPORTY....as mentioned Spyders can be expensive maintenance-wise....however the 1330's are much less so....in my experience....( 8yrs w/spyders 2-V-twins 1- 1330 ). I do my own wrenching and I'm not a mechanic....It's not rocket science and ( some ) people here are very smart and ( all ) helpful......I have seen 2015 - F-3's as low as $16,000 and that may be your best bet........good luck.....there are no bad/odd questions .......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maintenance costs aren't cheap on the 998s. Oil changes crop up about every 4500 miles, and can run a couple of hundred bucks...
    It is suggested that the valves be checked every 14000 miles or so... Most folks stretch out well beyond that limit (some have gone over 50000 miles) but that get run over #600.
    tire changes aren't too bad; it depends on what and where you buy them...

RIDING THEM:

Do you have any snowmobiling or ATVing experience? The Spyders feel an awful lot like they do. You turn them with the bars, and they corner flat. (You need to lean to the inside of the corner...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The short answers:
    -No issues on your size because your not picking up a Spyder.
    -Riding gear is subjective and personal preference. I wear less gear on my Spyder than my Harley.
    -The Spyder is no more high maintenance than any other bike. The 998 vtwin sm5 RS is probably the most reliable setup. The oci on the vtwin is 4600 miles and 9300 on the triple (non-rs). Personally I'd never come close to going 9300 miles on anything I own. Change the oil once in awhile and that is really about all they need for quite some time. Do your own services and save even more.
    -The RS is the lightest with a normal riding position. Oldies around here will try to tell you it's a sport bike position, but you'll find its not....especially since your coming from sport bikes.
    They do have a long arm reach though, but not sport bike. Most of us feel it's more of that sport touring position.
    -they all take time to get used to. Don't be surprised that you initially feel very uncomfortable riding and you just wasted a big chunk of cash on a Spyder. We all went through that and most find it takes a good 1000 miles or so to become comfortable.
    -the best thing about the Spyder is that it gives you the ability to extend your riding season. You don't worry as much about leaves, ice, slick roads as you do with 2 wheels. The trunk gives you the ability to pack for some nice overnighters too.
    Have fun and ride safe!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-20-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Take a test drive on the different spyder models. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Here is my take on the answers to your questions...

Slightly higher than most motorcycles, mainly due to the complexity of the Can Am. But not high enough that you should be discouraged. This really shouldn't be a problem - especially on an RS.

As others have said, only you can answer this question. Suggest you test ride one. The RS does ride more like a sports bike than some of the other Spyder models - knees a bit more bent, and shoulders a bit more forward.

It's really fun, in a different sort of way. I don't really miss the counter-steering and the leaning anymore. A Spyder rides more like a snowmobile, only smoother. I don't miss my old cruiser at all. Also I like the ease of the se5 semi-automatic transmission, and the fact that the bike will never fall, no matter what you stop on. Like "DrewNJ' said above, it's great that you can extend your riding season, or ride on days when you may not take out a regular motorcycle. I've got arthritis in my kneew so I REALLY appreciate that. You are still young, but with herniated discs a Spyder may be slightly more easy to handle in some situations.

Many here do. Personally, I do not. It's a personal choice you make, depending on your risk level. A Spyder is still a motorcycle and subject to the same bodily risks, should you be involved in an accident and are thrown off.

Given all of your concerns above, I'd say a Spyder would be PERFECT for you. Again, I'd suggest you go test ride one. But if you do, be mindful that there is a small learning curve that you will have to go through to comfortably transition from a 2-wheel motorcycle to a Spyder - nothing you won't be able to succeed at given a little time on it. As for two-up riding, an RS may be a little more cramped than an ST or an RT. However, for you alone, I think you would love an RS.
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-20-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Costs are about on par with Harleys or gold wings for most maintenance

That would depend on the individual rider, different strokes for different folks

Comfort, Safety, ease of handling, etc

Depending on your comfort level, but most ride with slightly less gear.

We have a large amount of women riders that travel around the country by themselves or in small groups that are very comfortable on a spyder, no problem with parking as they are somewhat like a 4 wheeler in that they are stable on any type ground. The spyder is almost impossible to turn over in normal driving conditions and you won't just fall over. They Spyder is quieter than a normal bike and a lot easier to handle and don't forget that it has a reverse gear so no puhing or tugging it around from a parking spot.

Just go for it and you will be much more comfortable.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All Day riding comfort is a question of ergonomics:
    Here's some pics to consider...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The RS-S SM5 that I saw for yesterday already sold. It was a 2011 with 987 miles, passenger back rest, and a custom seat, for $10.5k. Oh well.

That's the price range I'm trying to stay with. I just bought a new WRX this year and a Camaro the year before, so no 20k motorcycles.

My husband is 50 if that helps.

I'm also not giving up my sport bikes, just looking for a solution.
    Last edited by Jenfz09; 02-20-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it ..

Not one bad answer here Jen.
    You'll be glad you made the change. We aren't in any way sorry we did.

Spyder Garage

1: the 998 V twins do need more maintenance but are solid engine higher RPM the RS is the more sporty spyder. There are aggressive ways to ride.
    2: all bikes can ride all day it's more about your endurance & stopping to stretch enough. The size wont change or the lean( coming from two wheels will take time to adjust)
    3: nothing. Still ride my two wheel every now &then spyder Best bike I've owned for me anyway #6. fyi mostly cruisers, & the V-rod. Now i rent my two wheeler to buds visiting family on holidays.
    4: same gear ,just more storage for the rain gear &snacks, wont need full gear as often, more casual comfort jackets with layers work good for me.
    5: enjoy , you know what you like the spyder will help get you there.
    Two up riding the passenger has to hold the grip bars NOT the driver. Can be odd for them.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Loads of great advice above! I owned an RS (SE5..semi-auto) which was my first foray into the SpYder world. Now I have an F3-S.
    I'm glad I started with an older RS as, had I not enjoyed the riding experience on three wheels, then it would have not turned out to be
    a hugely expensive experience.
    So I think you should go with the RS. Make sure that the dealer has carried out all of the updates. If the RS hasn't got one....get a BajaRon
    sway bar replacement fitted....seriously just do it!! ( http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rs-amp-Helmets )
    Congratulations for finding us and asking our advice!
    I hope we've made the decision making easier.

Spyder Garage

: 1: Compared to other brands of motorcycles, maintenance costs can run high. Figure $300 for an oil change. $300 for a rear tire installed. $300 for a pair of fronts installed. If you choose to have the valves adjusted $800. (Most let that one go by at each 14K interval).

: 2: I cut my teeth on the 2008 GS and then bought a RS in 2009. The RT's did not show up until 2010--yes, I got one of those also. We toured all over Alaska with the GS/RS. Put 23,500 miles on my 2008 before trading it off. I had a modified seat, a windshield, and handlebar risers. Not as comfortable as an RT, but I could do 500 mile days.

: 3: Can't ride two wheels at the moment. I have a bad hip.
    Three wheels still lets me ride. So far, over 130,000 miles on my various s'.

: 4. All the riding gear from my two wheel days has been transferred over (and I have lots of it). I still believe in ATGATT. Riding three wheels gives a "feeling" of being safer. A bad accident can happen at any time. I want to be dressed properly--regardless of the number of wheels.

: 5. The is heavy at almost 800#. You are not going to drop it, it is not going to fall over, and if you stay out of six inch deep mud, you are not going to get it stuck on grass or gravel. We are the same height--but I am a bit heavier. Two up riding is doable, but I would want a modified seat and a backrest for the passenger. The RS is built for one up and is not as comfortable as an RT. That is a decision you will have to make. A test drive on both is recommended.

Enjoy your hunt and let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Depends. If you do general maintenance yourself the Spyder is not expensive to maintain at all. If you have the dealership do everything it can be a bit on the expensive side but probably less than a BMW or Ducati.

Depends (see a pattern building here?). I can ride my 2008 as long as most anyone riding whatever. But that's me. Some (maybe most) would disagree. Are you one of these? Probably not if you can do an all day ride on a crotch-rocket.

The Spyder is every bit as much fun as a 2 wheeled machine, though in another vein. You don't have to constantly worry about debris in the road (sand in blind curve, etc.) You can spend more time enjoying the scenery and less time looking for stuff that will wreck you if you don't see it in time. You are more maneuverable than you are on 2 wheels. Emergency evasive maneuvers are done more quickly and with much less danger. Requires a much lower skill set to ride safely than 2 wheels. Emergency stopping is much more controlled and safer. For some the fact that you don't have to hold the Spyder up when stopped is a big advantage. And you certainly don't have to worry about putting your foot down on wet leaves or an oil slick and losing balance.

Disadvantages are that you have 3 wheels and it's more difficult to straddle junk in the road whereas you can usually go around it on 2 wheels. Heavier machine so it is slower and gets less fuel mileage than a similar displacement motorcycle. The Nanny is a necessary evil which bothers some people more than others. If you learn to ride the Spyder correctly the Nanny is not a problem.

Yes.

Just like with 2 wheels. I'd ride with whatever you would prefer to have on if, for some reason, you end up getting off.

Absolutely!

b) I tend to not go on rides where I know we will be parking on grass or gravel. I also won't go on rides to very unfamiliar places, since my comfort level isn't 100%. I'm okay riding places where I've been before or that are more local (within fifty miles). Either I get over this or get a Spyder and not worry. Not uncommon. Much less to worry about with a Spyder. And how can you enjoy a ride if in the back of your mind you're always going to have these concerns? Riding is all about the enjoyment. Go with what works best for you and let the other guy worry about their problems.
    c) My husband is new to riding. I won't ride on the back since he has only 2000-3000 miles of riding. I will only ride with people who have been riding 10+ years. So, I was thinking that a Spyder would be a safer option for two up riding if I was riding on the back (is that still unsafe?! The Spyder is inherently much safer than 2 wheels. I'm not sure I would want to go distance on the back of an RS (comfort). But there are modifications that would make this more feasible.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-20-2016 at 09:17 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The RS-S SM5 that I saw for yesterday already sold. It was a 2011 with 987 miles, passenger back rest, and a custom seat, for $10.5k. Oh well.

That's the price range I'm trying to stay with. I just bought a new WRX this year and a Camaro the year before, so no 20k motorcycles.

My husband is 50 if that helps.

I'm also not giving up my sport bikes, just looking for a solution.
    Answered your own question Jen
    Price range your looking at stay with RS or RSS.
    Many upgrades u can do over time to make more comfort.
    Plenty out there in your price range.
    I have an RS and 61. plenty of farkles for comfort

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi, Jen! I can't add any more advice that hasn't already been given, so I'll just say:
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)