Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Advice for son's bike

I have a 17 year old son who wants a two-wheeled bike instead of spyder. He says spyder not as fun to ride but he doesn't know because he never rode one. I'm scared of two-wheeler and i doubt there's much difference in enjoyment. Can some of you experienced riders weigh in? Thanks in advance.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm not a real experienced ryder but I can vouch for the great amount of fun I have ryding my and what I really like is not having to balance a 1000 lb two wheeler at a light. No way the wife would have riden with me on a bike but we love to ryde 2 up on the . Wouldn't want any other ryde.

Spyder Garage

He wants some type of cafe racer, right?

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    An MSF course should be the first step. After that either machine is only as safe as the operator at the controls. As for me, I don't find one to be less safe than the other.....
    MSF will teach him how to ride safe.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tnfleming View Post
    I have a 17 year old son who wants a two-wheeled bike instead of spyder. He says spyder not as fun to ride but he doesn't know because he never rode one. I'm scared of two-wheeler and i doubt there's much difference in enjoyment. Can some of you experienced riders weigh in? Thanks in advance.
    Here's the best I can do ... and this is just one set:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    MSF will teach him how to ride safe.
    What did it teach you

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    What did it teach you
    Taught me not to ride behind you

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Taught me not to ride behind you

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would have a hard time putting a 17yr old on either. Not to say that some could not handle it but most are not mature enough or have enough experience. If you do remember safety first, get the safety course, the right size bike to match his experience and size and a HELMET. This comes from a 19 year veteran in the fire service. Good Luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I tell people the Spyder is about 90% as fun as a 2 wheeler, and about 50% the risk. That said... if he still insists on a 2 wheels, avoid anything remotely resembling a sport bike. 17 year-olds aren't known for their self control, and if it looks like a racer, he will treat it as such. Instead I'd steer him towards an on-off enduro like the XL-650 or Wee-Strom.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

let him try the MSF Course. I personally think a Spyder is too much power for a first "bike". I know I will hear back on that one! A smaller cruiser type (Shadow 750 or similar) would be my choice. Less than half the power of the Spyder. Crotch Rockets are a bit to quick as well IMO for a new rider, but that is whom usually buys them. I am sure he can learn, but i hope that he at least has some road sense that he picked up driving acar for a year or two before getting a bike. That is the "understanding" that I have with my son. He's 21 now and still thinking he shoudl gain a little more experience in a cage before buying a bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The MSF course is a must for new riders.

While I find riding the Spyder just as much fun as riding a 2 wheeler I really don't feel like it's a good "starter" bike. In my opinion because the Spyder is safer than switching to a 2 wheeler without any experience could lead some problems if and when he does switch to a 2 wheeler.

Spyder Garage

I have three boys, one is 22 one 20 and the other 17. They all grew up riding dirtbikes just like their Dad,

My two oldest boys ride crouch rockets and I'm sure my youngest boy will do the same as soon as he can. Motorcycling is a great sport and with the right training it can be great fun and as safe as any other high risk sport including riding a Spyder. Anything in the open air is going to give you less protection than a car or truck, that's just a fact of life.

My youngest son didn't think too much of the Spyder when I first showed it to him online but he's come to like it.
    I'm guessing your son has some motorcycle experience so I would let him take you for a ride on it and go into town or get some fuel and I'm pretty sure it won't be long before he likes all the attention he'll be getting on the Spyder. He'll be a Rockstar as you know. Still I wouldn't try and keep him from riding a bike either. I'm 50 now and have been rinding my own bike since I was 12 and I somehow survied it.

Their first bike.

Now two of them are in the Marines and one is headed that way as soon as he gets out of Highschool.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I heartily agree with everyone who said "MSF course first!" As to the choice in first motorcycles, it is hard for a 50 year veteran of two-wheels to reflect on his experience...they don't sell Cushmans any more. I tend to agree with those that say a little dirt riding experience can't be beat, as far as developing skills goes. I also feel strongly that most riders start out on motorcycles far too large and too powerful these days...and that includes the Spyder. I'd recommend one of the smaller dual-sport machines, say 400 cc. Sufficient to get around in traffic, lightweight and maneuverable, and you can get them off onto dirt roads and trails to further develop your skills without the added distractions of traffic. From there on, with a couple of years of experience under his belt, he will probably decide for himself which direction he wants to take.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I heartily agree with everyone who said "MSF course first!" As to the choice in first motorcycles, it is hard for a 50 year veteran of two-wheels to reflect on his experience...they don't sell Cushmans any more. I tend to agree with those that say a little dirt riding experience can't be beat, as far as developing skills goes. I also feel strongly that most riders start out on motorcycles far too large and too powerful these days...and that includes the Spyder. I'd recommend one of the smaller dual-sport machines, say 400 cc. Sufficient to get around in traffic, lightweight and maneuverable, and you can get them off onto dirt roads and trails to further develop your skills without the added distractions of traffic. From there on, with a couple of years of experience under his belt, he will probably decide for himself which direction he wants to take.
    -Scotty
    Couldn't have said it better. Someone else in this string mentioned a Kawasaki KLR 650 or a Suzuki 650 V-Strom. Also good choices for a first bike.

Bruce

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I heartily agree with everyone who said "MSF course first!" As to the choice in first motorcycles, it is hard for a 50 year veteran of two-wheels to reflect on his experience...they don't sell Cushmans any more. I tend to agree with those that say a little dirt riding experience can't be beat, as far as developing skills goes. I also feel strongly that most riders start out on motorcycles far too large and too powerful these days...and that includes the Spyder....
    -Scotty
    When I was taking my motorcycle endorsement test, there was a lady there with her first bike, first time rider, and someone (boyfriend?) had convinced her to get this large (over 1000cc) sport bike. She could barely hold the thing upright. There was no way she was going to pass the test on that thing. Luckily she befriended another lady there who had a smaller Ninja and they both tested (and passed) on that smaller bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Let me pile on with the MSF vote. MSF course was critical to my wife feeling comfortable on her first bike, the venerable Honda Rebel. Easy transition to Yamaha 535 Virago and then A V-Star 650 Classic. Too big too soon is a recipe for problems for many beginners.

Spyder Garage

I know a couple of instances that even the was too big too soon.....just cause it has 3 wheels people forget that it is still a powerful machine

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After 38 years on two-, three- and four-wheeled cycles, I also agree with the rest of the replies that he must take the safety course to earn the right to drive in public, and that the Spyder is too much power for a first bike, for a 17 year old male. I only survived my initial bike years because I was limited to a Honda S90 and a Suzuki RV90 Rover. Who's name will the bike and insurance be in? He's a minor...in many places, parents are liable for damage their minor children cause.
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

My first bike was a CBR Hurricane when I was 21, I still don't know how I managed to live through those riding years so yes I suggest a smaller bike because testostrone and a powerful bike is a bad combination

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you for the sage advice. This site is great because the people care to help out! And i'm a cycling newbie so I need the help. Lamont you should be proud of your marines! Congratulations.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

tnfleming, I am not sure where you are located but in the state of Florida, you HAVE to take a MSF course in order to get a Motorcycle Endorsement. I highly recommend it. My first bike after the course was a 500cc Buell. That bike taught me alot; What I can and can't do.

I am 37 years old. I didnt start riding motorcycles till over a year ago. I know how I was when I was 16-17. I drove like a bat out of HeLL. I was reckless and didnt care about anyone else on the road. They had to move out of my way. I also had illusions of grandeur, thinking there wasnt anything I couldnt do in my car. Of course I never had drivers ed in school either.

When I got to college and later took emergency vehicle operations, I became a better driver.

So education counts for something. If you dont live in Florida and have a choice, still have him take the MSF course.

Start with something 250cc to 650cc range. Just cause they are small doesnt mean they arent fun. Put a loud pipe on her and she will draw attention. Thats what I did. I had a D&D pipe on my 500cc Buell. People didnt give the bike a second look unless that engine was running. The loud pipe gave me a psychological boost from having a smaller bike. I am now glad I rode a smaller bike before getting the spyder.

Just my 2 cents.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kalavera View Post
    tnfleming, I am not sure where you are located but in the state of Florida, you HAVE to take a MSF course in order to get a Motorcycle Endorsement. I highly recommend it.
    Florida actually just made that a law in July of last year. I have a friend who had been riding on permits for a couple years because he would never take the time to go do the license test. He finally got it done just a couple weeks before the law went on the books.

In the state of Florida now you also can't register a motorcycle in your name if you do not have a motorcycle endorsement.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

let him ride let him ride

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In reference to the suggestion that the Kawasaki KLR-650 is a good starter bike, IMO the KLR is a good bike for any age or experience level. I had a 1989 version and it was just plain a ton of fun! With a Super Trapp with 8 discs it had an exhaust sound that was good for the soul!