Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can Am saddlebags (RS vs GS) Help!!

I am new to the Spyder world and just picked up a 2008 Spyder GS. I am interested in the OEM Can Am Spyder RS ST R-35 rigid saddlebag kit, but it does not mention the GS. Is the GS the same as the RS and will these bags fit my GS? Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Mike

Michael R. Douglas

alfdude@roadrunner.com

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

Spyder Garage

Default A rose is....etc.

the GS was later designated the RS and are the same. The bags will work and you can shop around for them here, ebay, amazon etc. Good luck and welcome to the spyder world and this site...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default A Rose by Any Other Name....

Same, Same. As Chupaca said, the only difference is in the 1st letter of the model designation (and they did add some color variations in 2009).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Right on with the GS/RS designation information.

I installed the Givi bags on both my 2008 GS and the 2009 RS. No problems or issues with either.

The GS is the silver one/ The RS is the red one.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-26-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Let me know how it goes for you, i just got an 08 as well and really want the bags but the 500-600 (at best) price for the bags plus another 200 for brackets seemed a bit excessive for empty plastic containers, and on top of all that you have to relocate the turn signals.
    I am actually considering these as the only real alternative to the givi. this inlcudes the brackets and turn signals dont have to be moved.

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-deta...roduct_id=6709

Spyder Garage

I have the same bike. Mine is a 2008 Spyder GS Roadster. I have the GIVI R-35 saddlebags. They work great.
    Just like everyone else tells you, if you put them on yourself, IT WILL take you a lot of time. Some here have said it took them 4 - 41/2 hours, but it took me about 5 hours and a lot of temper lost. So take your time and refer to this website for the best instructions on how to install. There are some great minds here with many years of experience.

Good luck my friend

Safe riding.

Spyder Garage

Default Turn Signals with the Givi Bags

Like everyone else I didn't want to relocate the turn signals so instead I bought a pair of short stalk turn signals off of Ebay for about $12.00 and swapped them for the OEM ones.
    The WildBat - 2017 Can-Am Spyder F3-L
    Little Bre - 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S
    Phantom 2.0 - My SuperSpyder. 2008 Can-Am Spyder SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruise01 View Post
    Like everyone else I didn't want to relocate the turn signals so instead I bought a pair of short stalk turn signals off of Ebay for about $12.00 and swapped them for the OEM ones.
    What turns did you use? Any pics of the new setup?

Spyder Garage

Yes, I'd like to see that too. Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Bags

[QUOTE=latony007;928488]Let me know how it goes for you, i just got an 08 as well and really want the bags but the 500-600 (at best) price for the bags plus another 200 for brackets seemed a bit excessive for empty plastic containers, and on top of all that you have to relocate the turn signals.
    I am actually considering these as the only real alternative to the givi. this inlcudes the brackets and turn signals dont have to be moved.

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-deta...roduct_id=6709[/ These bage asr supper with the top open non of oyur belongings will be falling out they have a lot of room and are very well built. I know they are a little pricey keep an eye on the site some times they have sales. The bags are a little tricky to install as the nutplate is hard to reach but once you get that done the rest is a walk in the park. I give these bags good luck. jtpollock ]

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=jtpollock;938731]
    Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    Let me know how it goes for you, i just got an 08 as well and really want the bags but the 500-600 (at best) price for the bags plus another 200 for brackets seemed a bit excessive for empty plastic containers, and on top of all that you have to relocate the turn signals.

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-deta...roduct_id=6709[/ These bage asr supper with the top open non of oyur belongings will be falling out they have a lot of room and are very well built. I know they are a little pricey keep an eye on the site some times they have sales. The bags are a little tricky to install as the nutplate is hard to reach but once you get that done the rest is a walk in the park. I give these bags good luck. jtpollock ]

Nice any pictures of them on your bike? i really liked the passenger back rest i got from them at 1/3 the price of the can am one and am close to pulling the trigger on these saddlebags.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

would really like to see pics of the bags on your bike, especially the rear, wondering how directionals look

Spyder Garage

When my wife had her RS, I just used the original signal lights and I just cut them down a bit. I took the signal lights apart and cut down the stalks, and then grinded the ends down a bit to fit them back into the signal light part. If you do a search I am sure you will find the procedure. It is really easy to do and looks better than the Can Am one.

Spyder Garage

that sounds cheaper and easier than relocating them

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got my bags used right here from a fellow who didn't need them he had an RS I have a GS 2008 they fit just fine
    the turn sig lights are relocated onto the bracket that holds the bags. Mine are Givi but they are the same as the BRP
    bags... I got mine complete for $500 less than half the cost of BRP new shop around you will find them some place
    Good Luck
    Dave

Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Alfdude1 View Post
    I am new to the Spyder world and just picked up a 2008 Spyder GS. I am interested in the OEM Can Am Spyder RS ST R-35 rigid saddlebag kit, but it does not mention the GS. Is the GS the same as the RS and will these bags fit my GS? Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Far as relocating the turn signals, I used small LED strips instead of the stock stalks.

The small strip on top is the turn signal, and the longer strip is tied in with the brake lights to give a bit more visibility when braking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=jtpollock;938731]
    Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post

I still want some pictures of these mounted on your bike
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

The saddle bags that match the lines of the GS/RS the best are the Corbin's.

http://corbin.com/can-am/cabag.shtml

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    The saddle bags that match the lines of the GS/RS the best are the Corbin's.

http://corbin.com/can-am/cabag.shtml

As long as your willing to Mortgage your house for them
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40