Hi TravelingSpyder,
I'm a 5'3, 106 lb. BMW rider - I ride the F800ST, factory lowered - can get almost the balls of my feet down and I tour a bunch on it. Also have a Triumph Speed Triple that I can get toes of both feet down. This is the sport bike I ride when we go over east to find tight twisties and I'm used to riding pretty hard/fast to keep up with my husband. I re-entered two wheel riding about 10 years ago after not riding since late college years. Currently also have a Thruxton (cafe racer, pretty bent over stance) and also take out one of my husband's Ducati's (ST-3) of which I put my legs down and wait for one tippy toe or the other (but not both) to make ground contact. The beemer, Ducati and Triple all have faster acceleration and quicker high speed cornering, but I agree with SpyderCrazy about the worries of backing out of parking spots, gravel, etc. and it's a trade off for the fun of riding these bikes that I love. Spyder takes all that worry away and is certainly an attention getter! However, I truly love the Spyder ride, too. I'm used to riding sport bikes (have had Ducatis and other BMW's in past) and find the stock Spyder handle bar stance totally comfortable. I have had tons of custom seats made for other bikes, but so far am happy with Spyder stock seat. Even the windshield suits me - wind hits right at top of my helmet and shoots right over with no bother. Wind skims just the outside of my shoulders so no problem with that either - don't really catch much air in my chest at all. Mirrors work great for me - barely see little finger on each hand but have full, clear view behind and to sides. Haven't ridden with my husband yet as he's been under the weather and I've only had the Spydie 10 days/900 miles. But I've followed some other bikers through the twisties we have around here and haven't had a problem hanging in with them now that I've learned the secret of hanging off the seat as far as can! It's a different ride but equally as fun in it's own way. To me it's just another form of fun - I'd be hard pressed to have to choose one over the other.

P.S. to Scotty (or any others) - I think I might want to tour on the Spyder sometimes - will set up GIVI side bags I . But on my other bikes I usuallly add an Ortleib dry bag strapped behind me on the passenger seat. How do you handle strapping stuff on the seat when you have to add fuel? Do you have to remove it at each gas stop?