Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Ann,

I can only answer those who ask about speed, to say that those concerned about speed won't see the full benefits of MPG. While I have not been able to find an aerodynamics graph, I can tell you there are several dynamic factors at play including rolling resistance due to tires, road surface type and hills, wind resistance to to speed and direction of the wind, as well as air mass (cold air is much more dense than warm air, which causes more resistance). I should have also mentioned in my mileage report, that I always have the windshield down. In fact, I would like to see someone produce a good looking shorty windshield. While I wouldn't use it during the winter months, I would use it when temperatures are above 78F. Also, wind resistance is not linear. In other words, if the force of wind resistance is 8 at 10 MPH, it is at least 30 at 40 MPH, not 32. However, we deal with speeds much higher than 40, so you can see how limiting Force as much as possible is more efficient.

The average speed meter is always misleading, so I don't mess with it. To give you an idea, watch your own, and you'll see what I mean. It factors in such things as sitting at idle in traffic, stop lights, etc..., and I don't consider that to be an accurate representation of experienced speed. I could have gone 1 mile overall at 100MPH, but sat at idle for 10 minutes, and it would have said my average speed was 10MPH.

I would say to those concerned about speed, don't mess with the physics of high MPG. You probably aren't ready for it yet. I know when I was younger, I thought about it, but internal emotions would not let me control it. As I got older, those internal emotions didn't fluctuate as much when I twisted the throttle. When I did twist the throttle, it was sort of a "been there, done that" feeling. Instead, I became more interested in the forces that we don't see, but play a big factor on efficiency. I also enjoy filling up with gas when I leave home, going out for a long ride for several hours, seeing my wife enjoy the trip, as she wants to see the scenery and not worry about her helmet shield being ripped away, and not having to fill up with gas again until I come home.

One of several by-products is also the fact that it is just a safer way to ride. I lost two friends when I was young. Both were with me at the time. One in a group ride, and one was just the two of us on separate bikes. I also almost lost my father while he was with me on his own bike (it took him a year to recover). I also have countless other stories about friends who have lost legs, put in comas, etc... No one is going to intimidate me to drive fast. I've been there, done that, and seen things that no one should ever see. People can go fast if they want, but it only takes one accident.
Texas, F4 produces a Sport model, it is 3" shorter than stock. It can be stock width or wide (5" wider than stock). The wide model is a very popular product and customers rave about the additional wind protection. Give us a call or check our website. Ride safe!